Mixer boards

• Members

Because the 7 band and 10 band eq's are not all that useful, powered speakers generally have box corretion eq already programmed into them so they sound better and if you really need eq (for room correction or box correction) then a 31 band or DSP based solutions are a better choice.

• Members

Powered mixers do have their useful place, the coffee house gig is one. The only time I use one is for jazz gigs and it works pretty well for that. They aren't good for high SPL environments, but for low volume with very limited monitor options they are perfect.

All the major rental houses have powered mixers in inventory. And they have even more powered speakers, lots more. Flexibility is key and each has its own uses.

• Members

Powered mixers do have their useful place, the coffee house gig is one. The only time I use one is for jazz gigs and it works pretty well for that. They aren't good for high SPL environments, but for low volume with very limited monitor options they are perfect.

All the major rental houses have powered mixers in inventory. And they have even more powered speakers, lots more. Flexibility is key and each has its own uses.

Even small-band small-bar gigs imho. They

• Members

I used one of the older versions of those. It was garbage. Thought it would be perfect for small shows but it turns out it sounded like crap .....

Not picking on you or anything, but in my experience mixers rarely "sound" like anything other than an amplification of whatever the input is. It's usually a mixture of a bad input source and the user not knowing how to operate an eq correctly that makes the material from the outputs soundbad. Outside of operator error, it's probably equipment failure, which is totally different from it "sounding like cr@p".

• Members

Not picking on you or anything, but in my experience mixers rarely "sound" like anything other than an amplification of whatever the input is. It's usually a mixture of a bad input source and the user not knowing how to operate an eq correctly that makes the material from the outputs soundbad. Outside of operator error, it's probably equipment failure, which is totally different from it "sounding like cr@p".

If you AB a Mackie and Midas...you will hear a big difference. Midas makes the Vocal so sound SO Full and thick, snare drum very crisp, brass attacks warm, kick drum sound really solid with muscle.

There ARE big differences from one mixer to another...especially when you compare entry level brands like Carvin, Peavey, Behringer, Samson to the big boys like Midas.

• Members

That Carvin has 4 - 9 band EQ's.

How much graphic EQ do you need if you have auto feedback killing and/or auto-EQ built-in?

Besides, most people at this level, do more harm than good with a graphic EQ.

I have a Behringer powered mixer but it's only 14 channels, it has one 9 band eq on the monitor and one on the mains. When we started last year we needed a PA in a hurry and thats what I could afford. I was guilty of the smiley face eq for awhile, treating it like a home stereo eq until I actually learned the right way to use it for fishing out and killing feedback.

So yeh they have a place for beginners, it's not great but it does the job for vox, we never had any problem with it and was a good place to start learning. I'll be using it for now, until I can afford a decent set of powered mains, a real mixer and 31 band eq's.

I'm not embarrased about using it, everyone has to start somewhere and while I would love to have a $10,000 full tri amped pa system 1) I cant afford it and 2) i would be totally overwhelmed by it

• Members

I remember listening to a Japanese comedian one time going off on mostly car and home stereo products. He said something like: We (Japanese) put lots and lots of buttons and lights on stereo because Americans like lots of buttons and lights on stereo. Americans like to touch buttons....very funny! Well, back to your question, perhaps Americans just got tired of useless buttons! So the Chinese dont put on lots of buttons! Just lights now.

Archived