Non-phantom overheads

• Members

Any particularly good choices for a non-phantom overhead for live use? I've used SM57 type clones successfully. The Mackie DL1608 I just picked up has global phantom (boo hiss) and I just hate dealing with all the crackling and pops you get if you have to fix something or if a connection isn't perfect :( .

• Members

Any dynamics better than the SM57 ? I suppose I could also build a multichannel phantom supply with a couple 9V batteries in it - most condensers seem to be rated to run down that low. Just need a male and female XLR plus two resistors and two capacitors per channel. The battery powered phantom supplies I see commercially available use switching power supplies to get 48V which isn't really needed by the cheaper mics...

• Members

C-1000, EV BK-1 both use batteries or phantom. The ECM-23 is one of the very best all purpose mics I have ever used, similar in some ways to the BK-1 in that it's smooth and has natural low end. It's also been discontinued for many, many years (unless it was re-introduced).

• Members
C-1000, EV BK-1 both use batteries or phantom. The ECM-23 is one of the very best all purpose mics I have ever used, similar in some ways to the BK-1 in that it's smooth and has natural low end. It's also been discontinued for many, many years (unless it was re-introduced).

Looks like the EV BK-1 is long gone too :( . The AKG C 1000 S looks interesting but might be a bit heavy for overhead use without a heavy boom stand? 30 years ago I did have a couple "AA" powered condensers (OH and HH) before phantom was common on cheaper boards.

• Members

I guess it depends on how much you're extending, but I've got two AKG C1000's that I use as drum or choir overheads with or without the batteries - doesn't seem to be a problem as long as the stands are quality like the more expensive K&M's. I like having the opiton of batteries in case the phantom fails, or perhaps more frequently, isn't quite right.

I believe there are also stand alone phantom boxes - maybe ART makes one?

• Members

Looks like the EV BK-1 is long gone too
:(
. The AKG C 1000 S looks interesting but might be a bit heavy for overhead use without a heavy boom stand? 30 years ago I did have a couple "AA" powered condensers (OH and HH) before phantom was common on cheaper boards.

Shure SM94s (and similar Shure models) sound ok, are pretty lightweight, can be powered by AAs, are really durable, and unlike lots of pencils, fit nicely in a regular 58 clip.

• Members

Looks like the EV BK-1 is long gone too
:(
. The AKG C 1000 S looks interesting but might be a bit heavy for overhead use without a heavy boom stand? 30 years ago I did have a couple "AA" powered condensers (OH and HH) before phantom was common on cheaper boards.

I know a guy over on PSW who has 3 BK's for sale. Says they're in perfect condition, wants $100 each. I used to have the C1000's, they're not as heavy as they look.

• Members

I obtained a pair from JRBLE in a trade and yes I like them. I've only tried them on vocals (as that's what I got them for) They have a nice clarity to them, just a little on the bright side without being too much.

Also I should add, the BK1's use an odd battery that I believe is hard to find (ask Andy) therefore if you want to use them, you're forced to use phantom which defeats the purpose of your original post.

• Members

It's been a long time since I used a BK1 or any mic w a battery (Carvim CM60 is what I had). What remember is the headroom goes waaaay down. The output is reduced because the battery is only 1.5v or 3v vs 12v or 48v. But again, it's been over 10 years.

If i'm in a situation where I need overheads w/o phantom I'll pick a 57.

• Members
It's been a long time since I used a BK1 or any mic w a battery (Carvim CM60 is what I had). What remember is the headroom goes waaaay down.

Yes, at least one spec sheet I looked at you lose quite a bit of max SPL :( .

If i'm in a situation where I need overheads w/o phantom I'll pick a 57.

Yah, it's not hard to boost the high end to flatten off the drop-off enough to get it sounding fine live - especially if you have a shelf EQ with a variable inflection point :cool: .

• Members

I obtained a pair from JRBLE in a trade and yes I like them. I've only tried them on vocals (as that's what I got them for) They have a nice clarity to them, just a little on the bright side without being too much.

Also I should add, the BK1's use an odd battery that I believe is hard to find (ask Andy) therefore if you want to use them, you're forced to use phantom which defeats the purpose of your original post.

They will work with an AA battery. The only tradeoff is about a 10 db reduced output (therefore more more mic pre noise). I've used them like this for vocals and they work fine. Interesting note is if the battery is in, it doesn't allow the phantom to work so be sure to take it out after the gig (a good idea anyway).

To the OP - I have a Rode NT4 that works on batteries or phantom. It's a great sounding OH mic BUT, it's a fixed angle/pattern stereo mic (single point coincidence micing technique). Works great for recording but for SR it would depend a lot on the situation (maybe low volume jazz or a situation where you wouldn't get much bleed). They are not cheap (but you didn't mention price in your request for info). I'd just get an inexpensive 2 or 4 channel outboard phantom box and leave it on stage. Look on Ebay, they can be had for not much money.

• Members

To the OP - I have a Rode NT4 that works on batteries or phantom. It's a great sounding OH mic BUT, it's a fixed angle/pattern stereo mic (single point coincidence micing technique). Works great for recording but for SR it would depend a lot on the situation (maybe low volume jazz or a situation where you wouldn't get much bleed). They are not cheap (but you didn't mention price in your request for info). I'd just get an inexpensive 2 or 4 channel outboard phantom box and leave it on stage. Look on Ebay, they can be had for not much money.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the NT4. I tried one for a few children's theatre productions micing the choir and also tried it for covering the extras on stage. I wasn't all that impressed, but then again I never got to use the mic in a nice controlled environtment without manic screaming kids.

I did have concerns about the specialty XLR stereo cable. I recall having a failure in one of the mic cables, but that cable just might have been beat due to it being a rental.

I have to say though that it sure was a handy way to get the X/Y thing going.

• Members

They will work with an AA battery. The only tradeoff is about a 10 db reduced output (therefore more more mic pre noise). I've used them like this for vocals and they work fine. Interesting note is if the battery is in, it doesn't allow the phantom to work so be sure to take it out after the gig (a good idea anyway).

JRBLE---------even though they work with an AA, I thought they were actually designed for another battery which is difficult to obtain?

Archived