Recommend a Direct (DI) Box?

• Members

I'd like to get one or two spares to have around, in case someone forgets to bring their own, etc.

Only interested in passive models -- so no external power source is required -- aimed at instrument cable (guitar, keyboard, etc.) input and both 1/4" and XLR output, ground lift, etc. (A TS/TRS output would be for if/when we run out of XLR inputs on the mixer, ideally never, or at least only occasionally.)

Can folks hum a few bars about good quality models, perhaps some where budget isn't an issue (although not the "add an arm and a leg" versions), and some where features and quality suggest good bang for the buck? Top three or four? IOW, get me in the ballpark and tell me what's important so I can shop better?

I see models with filters, can't tell if useful or not; comments welcome.

Thanks,

-D44

• Members

Thanks, this is getting me started. Radial's design for protected jacks and switches seems useful. As do metal fittings instead of plastic? But at slightly more than 3x the cost?

Do the ground lift switches on these function for both XLR and 1/4" outputs?

Other options?

-D44

• Members

Do the ground lift switches on these function for both XLR and 1/4" outputs?

Other options?

-D44

To be truthful I have never engaged the ground-lift switch on any of my DI's in live band / DJ scenarios... I've just never had the need to, however, I did loan one of my DI's to a DJ that had been having "hum/buzz" trouble integrating his mixer/gear into a club's installed PA.

He engaged the ground-lift thus eliminating the noise... He said that it worked like a charm.

Mike M

• Members

I'm thinking ahead to times when we may occasionally need to exceed the XLR input channels on our normal mixer...

But I'm guessing if the ground lift switches don't work on the 1/4" DI outlets I could conceivably use an XLR-to-TRS converter cable or adapter or whatever...

Ideally not critical if we've not having any noise issues anyway...

-D44

• Members

The direct out is the only out that's transformer isolated, and the only output that's affected by the ground lift switch. You can not ground lift an unbalanced signal (with any kind of success, plus the potential for introduction of RF).

Marks are a very good value, and I would challenge anybody to tell the difference between it and a Radial under normal applications.

• Members
The direct out is the only out that's transformer isolated, and the only output that's affected by the ground lift switch. You can not ground lift an unbalanced signal (with any kind of success, plus the potential for introduction of RF).

Got it, thanks. Happy to say I was (I think) beginning to twig on to the theory behind that, as I was gradually beginning to understand the reason behind the 1/4" "thru" output jack (feed an amp, not a mic channel on a mixer)... and it's very useful to hear your confirmation!

-D44

• Members

I've used a lot of Rapco, Whirlwind directors (both around $100) but would have to recommend the EWI Audiopile boxes as best bang for the buck. I own a couple for lite use in a studio but a good friend (who uses the snot out of them) bought 8 or so a few years back and still sings their praises.

Really love the Radials (especially the Jensen transformer ones) but those are in the arm and leg territory (and really not warranted unless the circumstances are extreme).

my .02

Archived