Bigger or Smaller First Gig?

MX DRUMMER

• Members

I'm starting to play music with a guy I work with. We're going to be doing a two piece band and were going to be playing mainly stuff like Black Keys, White Stripes, Flat Duo Jets etc. and some new stuff also. I think that since our style of music isnt what's in right now and not what the local cover bands are playing that we should start small and work up to a bigger gig. In my mind if we played a bigger venue and people didnt get into the music that word would travel fast and we could be done vs. playin the local dive bars for awhile til we get some fallowers then go play a bigger venue once word has gotten out that we arent bad (this is all under the assumption that people will like us of course). Just wandering what you veteran music guys think about my plan and my thinking?

• Members

I'm starting to play music with a guy I work with. We're going to be doing a two piece band and were going to be playing mainly stuff like Black Keys, White Stripes, Flat Duo Jets etc. and some new stuff also. I think that since our style of music isnt what's in right now and not what the local cover bands are playing that we should start small and work up to a bigger gig. In my mind if we played a bigger venue and people didnt get into the music that word would travel fast and we could be done vs. playin the local dive bars for awhile til we get some fallowers then go play a bigger venue once word has gotten out that we arent bad (this is all under the assumption that people will like us of course). Just wandering what you veteran music guys think about my plan and my thinking?

We think the same in that regard. If you can deal with a full band then you can use that to carry your White Stripes venture - slipping the material into regular cover sets. But ultimately it comes down to whatever comes up.

• Members

That style of music is huge right now. What do you mean?

I would say play any show you're offered unless you morally object to it. Play music because you like it.

play some all-ages shows. I hate bands that don't play all-ages shows.

• Members

Getting a bass player or not isn't the OP's question as I see it...

But the actual question (Should he go for a larger or smaller venue for larger) is just as irrelevant, IMO:

A new/unproven band, without track record or fan base or evidence of being at all established, is not going to be considered for larger venues in the first place in all likelihood.

Small venues are typically more prone to consider an unknown. And even then, you'll likely get off nights, opening slots, etc.

Focus on making your show great, take the shows you CAN get (target small places to start), and go from there. Thinking about larger vs. smaller venues at this point is putting the cart before the horse from my perspective.

• Members

I thought the same thing Kmart but after talking around down here it's not like that from what a lot of people told me. If so it would have been irrelevant. I agree though about focusing on the how and taking what we can get. That's what I thought but I wanted to know if we should try to charge hard and go big or start small and work up.

• Members

I thought the same thing Kmart but after talking around down here it's not like that from what a lot of people told me. If so it would have been irrelevant. I agree though about focusing on the how and taking what we can get. That's what I thought but I wanted to know if we should try to charge hard and go big or start small and work up.

Start small , slow, and pay attention. 5, 10, 20 yrs down the line is what's important.

• Members

Well if for some reason in your market you can book into a larger room as a nobody/with no track record, that's certainly an oddity...

Makes me wonder about the quality of those spots (vs. the quantity of people they will hold).

I would still focus on smaller rooms and go from there when it makes sense.

• Members

Well if for some reason in your market you can book into a larger room as a nobody/with no track record, that's certainly an oddity...

Makes me wonder about the quality of those spots (vs. the quantity of people they will hold).

I would still focus on smaller rooms and go from there when it makes sense.

I agree with kmart in this case. Any venue (big or small) that is willing to book an unknown act for a major night (weekend or known band opening slot)... is suspect.

Plus, as a new band...who hasn't refined a sound or show. Would you rather suck in front of a small crowd... or let a large crowd get the word out that you sucked? I'm not saying that your band is bad. I'm just saying that if you have an off night in front of a big crowd, you may NEVER get another decent gig. If you have that same night in front of a small crowd, word doesn't spread or people don't EXPECT more than your ready to give. It may seem trival, but it should play into your thoughts.

On the flip side, if your good... your good. Word will get out fast and you'll be playing bigger venues in no time. Even better, you'll be experienced.

I'll give you a quick example. I played my first show with a new band this weekend. We debuted to a crowd of about 75 people. The singer of this band used to tour the globe with a popuplar regional band, and I myself play in another band that regularly draws 200-300+ people. However, this band never played out together and we want to refine the sound and show. The venue we chose was perfect. From my perspective, it was a decent show but there were a lot of issues. Working out staging, general sound levels, time between songs for multi-instrumentalist to change gear... all this (I believe) is much better worked out on a small scale. Our gig, I thought, had a few problems, though not major issues. If we were opening for bigger names or on a bigger stage, I may have been much more disappointed or embarressed in front of a national act.

DB

• Members

You also need to play the proper venue for the music you're playing. White Stripes is not Coffee Shop material per say. Pic venues that you can let loose in and sound good. You don't want to have to feel like you're holding back, or vise-versa, play somewhere you feel too small for the room like 25 people in a 200 person venue or your p.a. is too small and sound weak. Just be smart. If you wanna do a 2 piece and it works and people dig it, cool! You'll make more $!!

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds like I was on the righ track. You all pretty much confirmed my thinking. As for down here it's not that the places are sketchy it's just that there are so many it's easy to he booked. At least that's the only thing I can figure since I have never heard of it before either. Where I grew up you didn't get bigger venues until you earned them.

Archived