Electric Guitar Strings ? Yes indeed

gardo

• Members

I once tried a set of nickel wrapped electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar.. It was the cheapest tinniest worst sounding guitar I ever heard. I couldn't get them off fast enough..

BUT after checking around I became curious about flat wounds.

"Thomastik-Infeld Swing Series Acoustic/Electric Jazz Guitar Strings offer mellow timbre, yet powerful tonation with a super smooth true flatwound feel resulting from the polished nickel wrap wire around a round core. This legend of jazz guitar strings was designed specifically for semi acoustic and acoustic jazz guitars"

I may not have a "jazz" guitar but it is acoustic and I have been searching for a certain sound so why not give them a try?.Because they go for about $25 a set that's why.Well a little more looking and I read that some people have used D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds on acoustics. One person described the tone as "more vintage". They go for about half what the others cost and they have a wound 3rd string so I took a chance and am quite glad I did.. The 6th string is in the tone range of what I want and the bass is strong but less of a ringing tone, I guess that's a jazz tone . I like it No squeaks with flat wounds either.

Next time I'll probably go for the Thomastik-Infeld strings,but that could be a while as chrome lasts a good long time.

• Members
I once tried a set of nickel wrapped electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar.. It was the cheapest tinniest worst sounding guitar I ever heard. I couldn't get them off fast enough..

BUT after checking around I became curious about flat wounds.

"Thomastik-Infeld Swing Series Acoustic/Electric Jazz Guitar Strings offer mellow timbre, yet powerful tonation with a super smooth true flatwound feel resulting from the polished nickel wrap wire around a round core. This legend of jazz guitar strings was designed specifically for semi acoustic and acoustic jazz guitars"

I may not have a "jazz" guitar but it is acoustic and I have been searching for a certain sound so why not give them a try?.Because they go for about $25 a set that's why.Well a little more looking and I read that some people have used D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds on acoustics. One person described the tone as "more vintage". They go for about half what the others cost and they have a wound 3rd string so I took a chance and am quite glad I did.. The 6th string is in the tone range of what I want and the bass is strong but less of a ringing tone, I guess that's a jazz tone . I like it No squeaks with flat wounds either.

Next time I'll probably go for the Thomastik-Infeld strings,but that could be a while as chrome lasts a good long time.

I use d'Addario exp phosphor bronze lights on my acoustics, but on a Jazz box like my Godin 5 Ave Kingpin I have d'Addario Chromes. Make it sound very jazzy indeed.

You won't find much squeak anymore, on cated strings.

• Members
You might also want to try d'Addario Flat Tops: http://www.juststrings.com/daddarioacousticguitarflattops.html. They're regular acoustic strings that have been ground to be partially flat. Also about half what the Thomastik-Infelds go for.

I looked at those as well but wanted to get away from bronze & phos bronze and try something different this time.. Who knows what the future holds,I may well end up with them sometime?

Archived