No announcement yet.

Looking for inexpensive "stage" guitar

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for inexpensive "stage" guitar

I don't know if anyone remembers, but I'm the guy that kept asking for opinions on high end lefty guitars (I ended up ordering the Bourgeois DB Signature Dread).

Now I need opinions on the opposite - I want a cheap guitar that I won't have a heart attack about bringing out to bars. I'm not talking tourist pawn-shop cheap, but I'd like to stay around $300 or so. I'm not expecting any incredible tones, but I prefer something that plays really well. I'm leaning towards the Carvin Cobalt C250LH, but I'd like some opinions on other guitars in that price range (I know, not much to work with).
    Good transactions

Yamaha
    GOOD DEALS WITH:
    Schismed,Satchmo,alexmack,goodhonk,slappymcfinkles ,
    Chairborne,kingsransom,megagoo,teletaylor(x2),
    boonestunes,harry65,wwjd388,pachucocadaver,
    Veangeance,orwellguitar,Dixie10-8,Crxshdxmmy,
    soholounge,teleman,landbriancoe,suntired,
    HighFiveYeah,Yavin,TIMLIKESCHEESE

Comment

The only Yamaha lefty I've seen in my price rnage is the FG720SL. Is that a good model?
      Good transactions

Comment

What do you mean by "stage guitar". Electronics?
        If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

For dirt-cheap, rogue has a lefty acoustic for sale on MF at $60(usually 110).

Comment

What do you mean by "stage guitar". Electronics?

Maybe electronics at some point down the line. What I mean by "stage" guitar is something I won't be nervous about playing on stage in bars/etc. The only live acoustic playing I do is "open mic night" type of stuff. My friend sings, and I play guitar. Most of the time, I don't even have to mic the guitar.

As far as the Rogue goes, I'm sure that has to sound and play like crap.
            Good transactions

Comment

As far as the Rogue goes, I'm sure that has to sound and play like crap.

Just ordered two on thursday, I'll tell you how they are.
              They're pretty well-reviewed.

Comment

EPI PR150 is a good low budget axe, good sound and can get on sale around $100- 125 range.
                If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

YAMAHA. The FG720S is a marvelous guitar for the money... easily rivalling many guitars that cost twice as much. And, of course, it's available in a lefty (SL). Order on with confidence; there's never a dud in the lot!
                  Seagull S6+Cedar
                  Yamaha FG252
                  Yamaha FG375S
                  Yamaha FG412S
                  Yamaha FG700S

Comment

I'd go Takamine for a stage guitar. Great electronics and stays in tune. Not my overall favorite but a great utility guitar.
                    Some might disagree but an entry to midlevel Taylor is also a pretty good workhorse.
                    My Myspace Page

Comment

I was going to recommend Tak too, but he didn't specify electronics.

Comment

My vote goes to the Yammie. Lotsa git for the buck. It's a real workhorse and will keep on sounding great until somebody lobs beer through the chicken wire.

After that, dry it out and it'll probably still sound great. Yammies are pretty tough.
                        Kicking cancer one day at a time, 1.5 years in remission - Yay!

Comment

We need to start a yammie acoustic club!
                          GOOD DEALS WITH:
                          Schismed,Satchmo,alexmack,goodhonk,slappymcfinkles ,
                          Chairborne,kingsransom,megagoo,teletaylor(x2),
                          boonestunes,harry65,wwjd388,pachucocadaver,
                          Veangeance,orwellguitar,Dixie10-8,Crxshdxmmy,
                          soholounge,teleman,landbriancoe,suntired,
                          HighFiveYeah,Yavin,TIMLIKESCHEESE

Comment

If you're playing a Bourgeois as your regular guitar, I suspect you will be disappointed in any sub-$300 guitar you choose as your 'live guitar.'

After years of agonizing over it, I now bring my Bourgeois to all but the seediest of gigs I play. Face it, the crappier a place is, the less likely a thief will recognize anything other than Martin or Gibson.

For the really bad places, I bring my Larrivee.

Comment

Onstage? You want a pretty guitar. Go for show. This could mean an older guitar that has striking features, rather than some new plain-jane generic-looking thing. Be advised: this is the age of aesthetics.

Unless of course, like me, you're pretty...
                              In the understory
                              I can't see the forest
                              For the branches and the leaves
                              But I believe
                              I do believe
                              by me:

www.box.com

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."
                              Charlie Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X