X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is music a spiritual endeavor?

What say you?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-Here's some cool songs I've been working on! Check em out!https://soundcloud.com/aguy3422

I do believe that in order to become a good player you have to sell your soul to the devil.

Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

It absolutely can be, and for many reasons.

Comment

• Opa John
        Opa John commented
        Editing a comment

I never thought of it as a "spiritual endeavor", but for me it is a form of meditation......so, maybe it is.

you mean like this ?

or this -

Comment

I played in a church band for several years, that was a spiritual endeavor.  I'm also grateful for 10 fingers and the ability to hear and appreciate other music so in the spirit of thankfulness I guess I would have to answer yes for me.

Don't buy a gemstone guitar pick. They're like your favorite snack; you can't stop with just one.

Comment

• DeepEnd
          DeepEnd commented
          Editing a comment

JoeJazz wrote:

I played in a church band for several years, that was a spiritual endeavor.  I'm also grateful for 10 fingers and the ability to hear and appreciate other music so in the spirit of thankfulness I guess I would have to answer yes for me.

^ This pretty much.

If you could remove the material components from music, what would you have?

Comment

• koiwoi
          koiwoi commented
          Editing a comment

jamesp wrote:

Experiences and memories. My favourite things!!! 

• Neal
          Neal commented
          Editing a comment

You would not have music, you would only have what is inside your mind, and while that's a good thing for some.......  btw  WTF are you doing here, damn trolls.

jamesp wrote:

I've actually been doing a quite a bit of thinking recently on the topic of the relation of music to the spiritual discovery of man and how it aids us in understanding ourselves. My thoughts (un-educated meditations, mind you, I am by no means "certified" on the subject) thus far have been leaning towards the idea of musical expression of any sort being more of a side-effect to the endeavor rather than the endeavor itself.

By this I mean that though we may write a heartfelt piece of music to express ourselves, it is the initial searching of the soul to find what resonates with how you truly feel at that moment that is the expression, and the following words and melodies and harmonies have no choice but to come forth having been revealed. 

...I think...

--lks.

Comment

• JoeJazz
          JoeJazz commented
          Editing a comment

lo-ky-stro wrote:

I've actually been doing a quite a bit of thinking recently on the topic of the relation of music to the spiritual discovery of man and how it aids us in understanding ourselves. My thoughts (un-educated meditations, mind you, I am by no means "certified" on the subject) thus far have been leaning towards the idea of musical expression of any sort being more of a side-effect to the endeavor rather than the endeavor itself.

By this I mean that though we may write a heartfelt piece of music to express ourselves, it is the initial searching of the soul to find what resonates with how you truly feel at that moment that is the expression, and the following words and melodies and harmonies have no choice but to come forth having been revealed. 

...I think...

Run that by me again?  What key is that played in?

I call that "playing music puts you in a good mood". It's a wondrous, joyous, uplifting feeling.

Comment

Working...
        X