Can anyone help me choose an electric guitar?

Amitrokrs

• Members

I have been playing the acoustic guitar for quite some time now, but never really promoted myself to the electric guitar.

now, with some time on my hand i wish to buy an electric guitar.

im torn between the Cort CR100 Les Paul and Cort KX5. I dont really have a defined playing style, and this is the reason im so confused.

can anyone pleas help me out, choosing between them.

http://www.bajaao.com/products/cort-cr100-electric-guitar?variant=1194503987

http://www.bajaao.com/products/cort-kx5-electric-guitar?variant=1004445723

• Members

I am a fan of Cort products, (being an Ibanez head, how could I NOT be?) and while not familiar with the products listed, I tend to trust cort in general. Newer Corts that is. The early 80's ones were pretty much trash.

Now the question comes back to you. The first one, the CR-100, is a traditional Les Paul type, with the same tones you associate with more vintage styled rock. The 22 fret neck, the standard tun-a-matic bridge and tailpiece, all lend itself to vintage styled rock. (Think Zepplin, Kanas, Styx, Foreigner, etc etc, and could be used for jazz.

The KX5, will have a different tone then the Paul styled one, because of the 24 fret neck and the string thru the body. What you may gain in sustain, you will lose in the neck pickup tone. Also, it has a different scale length of the CR-100. This will feel more "modern" ie: like an Ibanez or a Fender like feel.

So.... what do you want? More modern, the KX5, or more traditional? The CR-100?

• Members

Unless you are getting a real good deal, I'd suggest an Epi Les Paul with a glued on neck over a clone with a bolt on. http://www.samash.com/epiphone-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar-ebony-ensebch?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Epiphone+Les+Paul+Standard+Electric+Guitar+Ebony&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594703840&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000033080&cadevice=c&gclid=CLyXsJnpnscCFQczaQodruYGJg

As far as your other choice, I'd likely stick with a major name in the industry that has some decent resale value. I haven't played a Cort for at least 20 years. The company used to make mail order junk you'd buy for kids as presents. Most wound up being neglected and either wound up in the trash or sold at Garage sales, and flea markets. You couldn't give the things away. Most were so poorly made they wouldn't stay in tune without some major upgrades.

I can say the newer products look better but you've already been playing and it doesn't seem to make sense buying beginner stuff. I'd go for something I know has quality and resale value for the price those sell for.

You may want to read about Cort, especially the part towards the end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort_Guitars

• Members

Thanks for the insight on the 2 guitars. Makes it easier for me to decide.

Being a fan of zeppelin, gnr (particularly slash) i want to go for the traditional sound and develop my style around it.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

• Members

Yes the deal is pretty good, and i will definitely check out the epi les paul.

The thing is i want to start with the beginner stuff, so that i can grow into it and, gain some experience and then move on to the bigger names.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with Cort. They made Epiphones for years. The Korean made Epis are quite sought after, and there's a chance if you own an MIK that it could very well be a Cort made one. I recently had a well made Cort Les Paul copy, and my only qualm was the bright bridge pickup.

• Members
There's nothing wrong with Cort. They made Epiphones for years. . . .

Cort is the second largest maker of guitars in the world after Samick. They know how to make a good guitar and it stands to reason they wouldn't put out junk under their own name. AFAIK, Epiphones are currently being made by Samick, not Cort, but they're still nice guitars. Given what you like and want to play, I'd also recommend a Les Paul style guitar. Just bear in mind that Slash's sound doesn't just come from his guitar, it comes from his amp, pedals, and his chops. Even if you had his gear, you still wouldn't sound like Slash.

• Members

WRG, if you ever played a Korean Ibanez, you've played Cort. A Korean Squier? yep, Cort again. Some of the Epi's were made by Cort, but most by Samick. And Cort came into their own with the introduction of the M series about 15 years ago. NICE guitars for not a lot of cash. Yes, they made trash, but what Asian company didn't in their beginning?

Archived