I have 2 NADs!

bee3

• Members

I've recently taken in 2 new amps. 1st, I bought a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb. Delicious tone, reverb, and tremolo. I love this thing... even ran a Wurlitzer Electric Piano through it and that sounded fantastic. I'm more of a keyboard guy but have been really getting into guitar lately. Buying this amp has really solidifed my resolve to (sort-of) properly learn to play. Funny enough, my thought when buying this amp was to have a really nice studio option so that guitarists that I bring over to record in my home studio don't need to lug an amp with them. I ended up lending this amp to my go-to guitar player for a couple of gigs we did (him on guitar, me on keyboard). He immediately went out and bought one of his own... he loved it that much. Guess when he comes over from now on, we can mic them up in stereo. cool.png

The Princeton is suffering from a minor rattle (assume tube). I'm trying to get to the bottom of it...

Here she is mic'd up for a video shoot I had done recently in a historic (abandoned) hotel in Philadelphia. The shoot was on the 10th floor... and you guessed it, no working elevators. Yikes!

princeton_zpsff1bsrer.jpg

More from the video shoot here... you can see our matching Princeton's if you look closely.

sf-divine%20lorraine_zpsiwjt4ehy.jpg

2nd amp I just acquired, through a trade, is a Carvin Vintage 16 with an upgraded V30 Celestion speaker. I'm just getting into playing this thing... but have been pretty impressed so far. The reverb is nothing like the Princeton's, but it's cool nonetheless. This amp seems to have more of a mid-range feel to my ears. I don't have any pictures, but here is a picture of one that looks just like mine:

Carvin_Vintage16.jpg

Anyway, psyched to have a couple of good options for the home studio. Previously, I had a Mustang III and a VibroChamp XD. Definitely big upgrades in my book.

• Members

Nice scores. I think the Princeton is in a real sweet spot for grab and go gigging/jamming (at lower volumes) and certainly for recording. Good luck with the rattle. I'm currently chasing one down in my 70's Musicmaster Bass Amp (the poor man's Princeton).

• Members

I just got back from a gig whereI played an ES-137 Custom through a SF Princeton Reverb in a nice room. We miced the amp but the FOH guy told me he didn't need to bring it up in the PA. I put a Jensen P10R in mine and it smooths it out nicely for Jazz and Blues but still leaves some nice chime for use with a Stratocaster.

• Members

Splendid score! Never had access to a Carvin so I'm natrually curious about it's characteristics! The Princeton..Played through a veritable cornocopia of them since the mid 60's and always loved the things! Congrats! Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived