So I opened up my Mexi Tele and found this

Steve2112

• Members

fetch?id=31415312

Why? Why put packing material under the pup?

Also...does anyone know anything about the removable magnets on the ceramic pickup? I think I've pu tthem in the right way...but the dab of epoxy fell off. AND I seemed to lose volume on the pup. Thinking about upgrading the pickup anyway.

• Members

Well, the packing material is a simple answer. The inspector, say number 42, found that the bridge pickup rattled. Stuff it full of foam, and wha-laa, no more rattle. The Magnet issue is a little more fouled up. try it upside down, and see if it's better. Might throw it oout of phase a bit, but then again, you might dig that tone. (think Peter Green's

Paul)

• Members
It looks like it could have been someone's stash. Did you buy the guitar new?

Yep...it's brand new. It's a Guitar Center FSR.

This new pickup thing gives me hives. I suppose I just want traditional Tele tone, and that should be easy enough. My anxiety level is nearly pegged. Haha.

• Members
fetch?id=31415312

Why? Why put packing material under the pup?

Also...does anyone know anything about the removable magnets on the ceramic pickup? I think I've pu tthem in the right way...but the dab of epoxy fell off. AND I seemed to lose volume on the pup. Thinking about upgrading the pickup anyway.

It looks like they managed to pinch a wire between the body and the plate too.

• Members

Yeah wank..now that I think about it- this is a ceramic pickup with the loose magnets...and he probably stuffed them in there to help hold in the mags. There's a little spot of epoxy- but it didn't hold to the metal. I didn't pay attention to how they were attached. I should probably upgrade the pup anyway.

• Members
Yeah wank..now that I think about it- this is a ceramic pickup with the loose magnets...and he probably stuffed them in there to help hold in the mags. There's a little spot of epoxy- but it didn't hold to the metal. I didn't pay attention to how they were attached. I should probably upgrade the pup anyway.

Agreed. The ceramic pickups of the MIM Fenders is the main weak point, anyway. Even the rest of the elctronics is OK with CTS pots and CRL switches. Do a pickup swap and you're golden.

I personally have a penchant for slightly hot '60s style bridge pickups in my Teles. If you don't want to spend a lot scope this out.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/63-Tele-Hotter-Wound-Professional-Series-Bridge-Pickup-7K_p_2089.html

Pretty much ANYTHING from GFS, whether you like GFS or not, is better than those ceramic stock pickups.

• Members

I think I was able to get the magnets on correct..and I had a LOT of fun with the guitar tonight. A friend and I have put this guitar up with guitars costing 3-5 times as much and it held it's own. Through his JVM we actually got EVH-like tones.

I think I will try to get some video clips - hard to put in words. I'd be skeptical too.

• Members
Not really that unusual to find a little cushioning under the pickups in certain guitars. . . . I think it's common with certain manufacturers.

Yeah, there's foam under the pickups in my bass, an old Alvarez made, I believe, by Samick. I found out when I was trying to set the pickup height. I figured it was normal at first.

Archived