Okay...so what did you do to your Tele?

Steve2112

• Members

Once again thinking about some mods to my Mexi Tele (FSR Copperburst)

A better more versatile bridge in either vintage or modern- tending towards traditional (ashtray with individual intonation?). Possibly a pickup swap. Tell me what you did/used and how you like it.

• Members

I'm aiming for a pickup swap and at least changing out the saddles for brass compensated ones, maybe the ashtray too. Probably going to go with Novaks for the pickups. Something fairly traditional in the bridge, but a little overwound to match better in volume with the wide-range humbucker in the neck.

• Members

OK mine is a Squire Affinity so it needed just about everything upgraded. The pickups are Fender Vintage Noiseless I have no plans to ever change them again. I especially like the noiseless feature. The el cheapo Affinity had small 500k pots so they haad to be changed,at least you dont have to worry about that. I went with a no load tne pot which is well worth the money. Its brighter and a little louder with the pot out of the circut.I also ditched the 3 way switch in favor of a blend pot . I like to use the neck pickup with a little influence from the bridge to give it clarity or sometimes cut the bridge back just a little for more balance when using both..

fetch?id=31394399

• Members

I own a MIJ Fender Tele, bought it new about '90 or '91. Cream colored body, maple neck. I love the guitar, but it's huge flaw is the cheap electronics, and feedback-prone pickups. It shrieks like an angry toddler at even moderate volume or gain. In order to make the thing usable with a fuzz pedal, I installed a mini-toggle that shorts out the tone control; flip the switch, and the tone control is on 'zero'...it helps stop the microphonic feedback and actually makes most fuzztone pedals sound more buzzy and fuzzed out when it's on. The crummy mini-pots were replaced with normal-sized pots too.

I changed out the lead pickup years ago with some other (supposedly vintage) Tele pickup, but it didn't stop the microphonic feedback. Mine has the "modern" style bridge, similar to a strat hardtail bridge. I have no interest in brass saddles or an ashtray bridge because I don't play country.

I also shielded the control cavity (pre-internet!) with aluminum duct tape. It works great.

I'm still thinking about swapping out the pickups if it would kill the microphonic feedback once and for all. It's such a nice, light guitar and the neck is damn near perfect.

• Members

I've got a '69 Tele Thinline reissue that I did a pickup swap on. I put a Lace Sensor Gold in the neck and a Duncan Little 59 in the bridge with series/parallel switching. I like them both and they are very quiet - no hum. The 59 is a single space humbucker and adds a lot more warmth and fatness, although with the switching, still has twang when I want it. I also added Schaller locking tuners.

• Members

Okay...so what did you do to your Tele?

I unloaded it, along with the MIM I had before it. I'm more of a Strat guy and a couple of my Strats are on the twangy side so I can cop that Country flavor when I want it. I like Teles just like SGs for other people, but sadly they just feel too foreign to me.

PS I'd probably think twice about adding an ashtray bridge as it inhibits picking near the bridge - total style over function IMO. I feel pretty much the same about three saddle bridges, but what do I know?

• Members

Mine is pretty heavily mod'ed :

Duncan Jazzmaster neck PU - Lace "Red" in the Wilkenson compensated brass 3-barrel bridge - nice pre-wired (standard config) harness with cts pots - custom 3-layer tort guard from Pickguardian in Columbus - Wilkenson tuners with tort-like tuning buttons - had some guy from eBay make a custom "Natural" decal for the headstock.

The guitar was set-up professionally and . . . is a very naughty little boy indeed :=)

peace

• Members

I put a SD Mini Rail in the neck position. It is nice because if I am getting any "Fender" type hum you can switch to the HB and that quiets it down. I also liked the contrast betwen the bridge (SD 1/4 pounder) and the neck p/u. One thing I wish I had done was adding a mini toggle for splitting the Mini rail.

• Members

fetch?id=31395688&type=medium ~~Here's my MIM tele. Started life as a typical black tele, white pickguard and chrome hardware. Updates are as follows:

New strings - Sorry couldn't resist mentioning

Black pickguard

Black switch/volume/tone plate

Black knobs

GFS bridge

Fender noiseless pickups...and they truly are noiseless!

Chrome neckplate

• Members

I also have a MIM FSR Tele but in the Silverburst color

IMG_0058.jpg

fetch?id=31395877

I remember seeing the copper finishes and was very tempted, but I think I'd already acquired this one.

But I was just going to say that I A/B'd this one against my American Special with Texas Specials, and although the American Special did sound a bit better, it was really a bit hard to discern the subtle differences. But the other guitar also has the 3 brass barrel saddles which I like. I think that would look cool on the copper burst too.

I think you can get some tonal improvements out of it with some upgrades, but they'll be subtle since it's a pretty decent guitar to start with. Unless you are doing something radically different in the pickup department. I've thought about doing that to this one, i.e single coil sized humbuckers to give it a more aggressive tone, or just to add a bit more differentiation in my Teles, but so far I haven't bothered to do so. This poor guitar has been a bit neglected since I got the American Special. That's been the Tele I've bonded with the most.

US11014828-body-l.jpg

• Members

I have two - one is a Warmoth build that I originally put a traditional ashtray bridge with brass saddles on and installed SD Vintage Stack pickups in. The guitar sounded great but was impossible to intonate properly which was frustrating at times.

I also have an MIJ '52 reissue that was extremely noisy with the original pickups (although it certainly had the tele twang) so I bought a set of Kinmans to put in it.

I decided to put a modern Gotoh Bridge in the Warmoth so I swapped pickups as well - Kinmmans in the Warmoth and Duncans in the MIJ (along with compensated brass saddles). The Warmoth has a rosewood board and is a very good all 'round guitar and the MIJ has a maple board and does the traditional tele thing really well.

• Members

Thanks guys! There's my Tele.

Most curious what a new bridge would do. Am having some light intonation problems. And I agree the picking is a bit uncomfortable. It's not very twangy. Played many strats with much more twang.I haven't decided if I want to make it Nashville or just make it the best guitar possible.

I suppose I could always TRY a new bridge and pickup- and put it back if I don't like it better.

PS- anybody notice anything...different...from a standard tele?

Archived