What is this madness?

Django Santenza

• Members
My posts' date=' my lovely posts all, gone, I am bereft.[/quote']

Thou shalt not idol false gods, even unto thyself. Thou shalt not covet things and possessions and junk.

Acting like you are new here? lol not very tasteful. So, thank you for adding to the lack of "tastemanship" (whatever that is? I'm guessing taste? ....class?)

• Members

A 24-scale Fender? That´s strange. Remember that Allan Holdsworth played a Carvin headless with a 25,5 scale and used a set of 8-36 for it. If you use a 24-scale guitar you must go down to a set of 7s, or something to make it possible to play.

Actually, most shortscale players move up a string gauge. With a Fender Mustang or Jaguar, players who would normally use 9's if they were playing a Strat or Tele should probably try a set of 10s on the Mustang or Jag. The string tension is actually lower on a shortscale, and a heavier gauge tends to compensate in terms of playing feel. If you play 9s on your Strat, 9s on a Mustang will feel almost like 8s...

• Members

Oh, really? Here´s some facts.

During the last tour with 4th Dimensions John Mclaughlin played a Godin Passion which has a 25,5 scale length and according to interviews he used a set of Ernie Balls 10s.

In the 70s he played a Gibson SG double neck with a 24-scale and used a set of 8s.

Eric Clapton plays today Fender Strats with a 25, 5 scale and use sets of 9s.

When he was in Cream he played an SG with a 24-scale and it´s known that he used a set of 7s.

First of all, Clapton has never regularly played an instrument with a 24" scale length, although he has played several with a 24.75" scale length, and several with a 25.5" scale length. McLaughlin's SG was also a 24.75 scale - just like Clapton's.

Just because players preferred different string gauges at different points in their careers and on different models of guitars doesn't mean that they went to lighter strings to compensate for a shorter scale length. Doing that would be counterproductive, because lighter strings on a guitar with a shorter scale length will feel looser, and have less tension, not more.

Shorten the scale length and use the same gauge strings, and the tension will be looser. That's a fact of physics. You can compensate somewhat by going to heavier gauge strings, which will have more tension when tuned to pitch... bringing the "feel" closer to that of a set of strings with a thinner gauge installed on a guitar with a longer scale length.

Here's an article that does a pretty good job of explaining how it all works.

http://www.12fret.com/content/2011/07/11/scale-lengths/

• Members

You've got two mods sitting here watching things... just let us know if you see something amiss that we miss.

Its no problem, me and Django have history. He is a gentleman proffesional troll. Unless you poke him a bit. smiley-happy

• Members

Phill Okeefe opined: "Nothing wrong with 24" scale length... I have a few guitars that qualify, but also several 24.75 / 25.5" models too. :)"

Longer string lengths and heavier gauge strings just sound mo-bettersm-heart

I am sure Uma would agree that flats sound even betterphilthumb

• Members
First of all, Clapton has never regularly played an instrument with a 24" scale length, although he has played several with a 24.75" scale length, and several with a 25.5" scale length. McLaughlin's SG was also a 24.75 scale - just like Clapton's.

Just because players preferred different string gauges at different points in their careers and on different models of guitars doesn't mean that they went to lighter strings to compensate for a shorter scale length. Doing that would be counterproductive, because lighter strings on a guitar with a shorter scale length will feel looser, and have less tension, not more.

Shorten the scale length and use the same gauge strings, and the tension will be looser. That's a fact of physics. You can compensate somewhat by going to heavier gauge strings, which will have more tension when tuned to pitch... bringing the "feel" closer to that of a set of strings with a thinner gauge installed on a guitar with a longer scale length.

What he said.

One in, one out, and we go round and round and round. Pull up a keyboard and enjoy the ride!

• Members

Here I´m doing my best to troll a troll, and all I get is nerdy comments from Phil. Disappointed. :(

Archived