Famous Fender Jaguar songs

Red81

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jaguars are some of the more overrated guitars out there. There's got to be a reason why it's everyone's second favorite guitar and that this many years later, there's not a single iconic artist who mainly champions the Jaguar. I say that as someone who really likes the Jaguar.

this guy makes a very convincing case for one:

[video=youtube;9dcwfr1uuFA]

I just love the way they look, but can't think of anyone who uses one live.

maybe some reggae dudes?

• Members

Bands that have used a Jaguar:

Kurt Cobain, My Bloody Valentine, the Blue Stingrays, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Fu Manchu, Spacemen 3, the Three Stooges, Ride, Placebo, Dinosaur Jr, the Edge, the Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, the Trashmen, the Eliminators, the Zuton's, the Deftones,Yo La Tengo,The Stereophonics, Pixies, the Beach Boys, the Ventures, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Telescopes, Happy Mondays, the Arcade Fire, Chapterhouse, Graham Coxon, Coldplay, James Dean Bradfield, The Mystery Jets, Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)..

• Members

jags are cool, but I just couldnt hang with the shortscale, thats why I think Jazmasters are more popular. (25.5=perfection)That and the Jag is very percussive, great for Surf, but Jazzmasters can get a Jag sound and have more sustain=win win.

Luther Perkins used a Jag at some point, and Nels Cline uses one all the time.

• Members
Bands that have used a Jaguar:

Kurt Cobain, My Bloody Valentine, the Blue Stingrays, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Fu Manchu, Spacemen 3, the Three Stooges, Ride, Placebo, Dinosaur Jr, the Edge, the Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, the Trashmen, the Eliminators, the Zuton's, the Deftones,Yo La Tengo,The Stereophonics, Pixies, the Beach Boys, the Ventures, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Telescopes, Happy Mondays, the Arcade Fire, Chapterhouse, Graham Coxon, Coldplay, James Dean Bradfield, The Mystery Jets, Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)..

I've seen that list on Wikipedia, too, and I don't think the Jaguars are the main guitars for any of the bands I recognize on there, which is like half the list. I mean, I've never seen Dinosaur Jr. with anything other than a Jazzmaster.

• Members
jags are cool, but I just couldnt hang with the shortscale, thats why I think Jazmasters are more popular. (25.5=perfection)That and the Jag is very percussive, great for Surf, but Jazzmasters can get a Jag sound and have more sustain=win win.

Luther Perkins used a Jag at some point.

I don't think Jazzes really get a Jag sound, and I wouldn't consider Jag a very percussive sounding guitar, since a Strat or a Mustang easily get more percussive than a Jag. Regardless, I think the reason is that those who want a short scale guitar also tend to want a lightweight guitar, and a Jaguar has the weird combination of being heavy and big-bodied with a short scale. Those who like a big, pretty guitar will generally like the Jazzmaster better, and those who like a nice short guitar will tend to choose a Mustang or Duo-Sonic. There are many famous artists I can think of right now whose main guitars are Mustangs and/or Duo-Sonics and used them as their main for at least a period of time. Liz Phair, Kurt Cobain, Adrian Belew, John McLaughlin, David Byrne, etc. Jazzmasters are beloved by countless alt rock artists, no need to list them.

• Members

I never said they didn't play them. Just that I don't think they were their main. When was the last time you saw Liz Phair without her Duo Sonic? I could google Kurt Cobain right now and he wouldn't be playing a Jag in the great majority of the pictures. What's the great album that you know for a fact pretty much uses Jag in every single song?

• Members

Baby Woodrose

[video=youtube;pjxS_S-jjsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjxS_S-jjsA

Lotsa Surf players use Jags

[video=youtube;6_27q9Uujz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_27q9Uujz0

[video=youtube;HHVJaVHvGU8]

According to schortscale.org, the list of Jaguar players includes:

Kurt Cobain, My Bloody Valentine, the Blue Stingrays, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Fu Manchu, Spacemen 3, the Three Stooges, Ride, Placebo, Dinosaur Jr, the Edge, the Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, the Trashmen, the Eliminators, the Zuton's, the Deftones,Yo La Tengo,The Stereophonics, Pixies, the Beach Boys, the Ventures, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Telescopes, Happy Mondays, the Arcade Fire, Chapterhouse, Graham Coxon, Coldplay, James Dean Bradfield, The Mystery Jets, Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins).

• Members
There aren't that many albums that use one guitar on every single song, except maybe for the Telecaster on country albums.

And that backs up my point that though the Jag is an interesting guitar, and I like it, it's a bit overrated lately and it lacks in iconic status, quite noticeably absent for a pretty well thought-of Fender model. I can tell you right now that every song on a My Bloody Valentine album uses a Jazzmaster. Elvis Costello rocked the hell out of that thing. Eric Clapton's Strat needs no introduction. Neither does Keith's Tele. John McLaughlin played a Musicmaster on every track he did with Miles Davis. Adrian Belew has a {censored}ing weird ass Mustang. Hell, Shakira has her own Mustang that she plays every time you see her with a guitar. Where's that person for Jaguar?

• Members

Frusciante uses lots of guitars but I see him with Strats most often. Lot of people have Jaguars. I never said people with Jaguars don't exist.

hey, i'm with you. i'm also looking.

as for the cobain photo above / new "jaguar" that just came out, isnt' that just a bastardized version that would take many aspects of what makes a jag a jag out?

edit: here's frusciante and frusciante lite, aka klinghoffer using a jag, though i think a pot and pan could've been used as well:

[video=youtube;h2uE0ZvLm04]

• Members

And that backs up my point that though the Jag is an interesting guitar, and I like it, it's a bit overrated lately and it lacks in iconic status, quite noticeably absent for a pretty well thought-of Fender model. I can tell you right now that every song on a My Bloody Valentine album uses a Jazzmaster. Elvis Costello rocked the hell out of that thing. Eric Clapton's Strat needs no introduction. Neither does Keith's Tele. John McLaughlin played a Musicmaster on every track he did with Miles Davis. Adrian Belew has a {censored}ing weird ass Mustang. Hell, Shakira has her own Mustang that she plays every time you see her with a guitar. Where's that person for Jaguar?

Yes, it lacks the iconic status of a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but pretty much everything does. I'm not sure that Shakira playing a Mustang gives it iconic status.

• Members

Yeah, and besides, I don't know why they can consider that the Cobain guitar, considering that his own design, the Jag-Stang, is far more Mustang than Jaguar, and he's far more associated with Mustangs in most people's minds. In fact, for fun, I tried to spot his guitars in his music videos.

Smells Like Teen Spirit: Mustang

In Bloom (Suits): Mustang

In Bloom: Flipped Univox?

Lithium: Looks like a flipped Fernandes by the headstock, not sure.

Come as You Are: Some semi-hollow or something, there's a shot where I saw a lefty Tele

So what exactly is that famously Kurt Cobain about that Jag? It's kind of like releasing a David Gilmour Tele. Yeah, he has them and loves them and plays them on some of his most famous songs and you do see him play them live, but it's just not really considered his thing.

Yes, it lacks the iconic status of a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but pretty much everything does. I'm not sure that Shakira playing a Mustang gives it iconic status.

The point is I struggle to come up with someone famous who isn't even a guitar hero whose main is a Jaguar.

• Members

Yeah, and besides, I don't know why they can consider that the Cobain guitar, considering that his own design, the Jag-Stang, is far more Mustang than Jaguar, and he's far more associated with Mustangs in most people's minds. In fact, for fun, I tried to spot his guitars in his music videos.

Smells Like Teen Spirit: Mustang

In Bloom (Suits): Mustang

In Bloom: Flipped Univox?

Lithium: Looks like a flipped Fernandes by the headstock, not sure.

Come as You Are: Some semi-hollow or something, there's a shot where I saw a lefty Tele

So what exactly is that famously Kurt Cobain about that Jag? It's kind of like releasing a David Gilmour Tele. Yeah, he has them and loves them and plays them on some of his most famous songs and you do see him play them live, but it's just not really considered his thing.

The point is I struggle to come up with someone famous who isn't even a guitar hero whose main is a Jaguar.

wasn't there another jag-stang or something like that released before that was more similar to what cobain used, rather than this one? when this came out, i was like "wtf? never saw this before", but whatever.

jagstang.jpg

• Members

Johnny Marr of The Smiths. I'm not sure how much of his Smiths stuff was actually recorded on a Jag, but much of what he's recorded in the last few years has been recorded using his various vintage Jags.

http://www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com/2010/09/total-guitar-october-2010/

Fender is even making a signature model Jag for him.

Archived