On Topic Posts Only Please

• Moderators

Please remember on the forum listings the legend:

Electric Guitars

Everything electric, from strings and pickups to construction and modding. On-topic posts only please.

This policy will be enforced for randomn posts, we'll not be too harsh on "Gathering Threads" or "Subforum Chat threads" etc and we will use our discretion.

But we want to see threads on Electric guitars, I won't move any NAD or NBD threads as I know some of you see yourself as at home here, but anything outside of a musical context will be Thread Jalied

• Members

Well...I guess they shot me down when they deleted the "low traffic" thread, and I defended them about "maybe we can be a close community again some day".

I stand corrected. We shall only talk about electric guitars. We swear.

• Members
Well...I guess they shot me down when they deleted the "low traffic" thread, and I defended them about "maybe we can be a close community again some day".

Do you know why the thread was deleted?

Threads about the forum were fine when we were helpng them sort this **************** out.

Community? Fat chance.

Surprised at you ratty, and disapointed. But hey, its your ball.

• Moderators

Do you know why the thread was deleted?

Threads about the forum were fine when we were helpng them sort this **************** out.

Community? Fat chance.

Surprised at you ratty, and disapointed. But hey, its your ball.

No, it's not my ball at all Knotty, however I need to ensure the ball is used for ball games and doesn't get punctured.

I said we'd be using discretion, and there are off-topic forums for discussion about gripes and whiging and stuff and you're welcome to post any damn thing you like in there.

This thread is merely an iteration of what used to be here in the old vB, and merely reinforces the direction of the forum.

I'd like to see and end to:

Personal insults

Petty squabbles

Disrespectful behaviour, especially to new forumites

Unhelpful **************** in general

and more useful contribution to what is after all a free forum for the exchange of knowledge and personal experiences of electric guitars and electric guitar related stuff, and if you're disappointed about that Knotty, off you pop matey and close the door behind you, and anybody else who doesn't want to focus on the core values of HCEG can follow. I'm even happy for good intelligent triolling (Uma Floresta and Django style), and even heated debate over guitar or musical related issues, but I won't tolerate any personal abuse.

1st Offence: Temp ban

2nd Offence Perma ban

Now if you'd like to poi9nt out whats it is about that you don't like I'll see what I can do for you in terms of access to forums where you can do other stuff.

I don't see I can be fairer than that.

• Moderators

Steve, posts about traffic are not electric guitar related, you can fire off opinions in other forums or you can mail a mod or better still an admin and they can examine your particular issue.

Read what I posted above, I do what I do, because this place used to be full of great people with loads of knowledge that they gave away for free, and I'd like it to be like that again.

Most of them drifted off when the Lithium board took hold and ideally I'd like to get those posters back, so if they visit by chance and visit HCEG, I'd like them to find a well run forum with threads composed mainly 97.5%+ of electric guitar and related material that they wold like again to be part of, not a bunch of reprobates scribblin {censored}e all over the walls and being internet twats.

Your particular post was unhelpful, but more importantly in the wrong forum, that's all.

Actually since changing from Lithium back to vB, this forum, HCEG has seen a decent increase in front page turnover, and that's what I'd like to see happen more.

I'm also happy at any stage if any of you think I'm out of order for you to tell me, just like Dan did a few weeks ago when I banned Bucksstudent; Dan put a case to me, I listened and found I agreed with him, so unbanned BS, who is now generally a damn decent poster.

Sorry if I pissed you off, didn't mean to.

• Members

No, it's not my ball at all Knotty, however I need to ensure the ball is used for ball games and doesn't get punctured.

I said we'd be using discretion, and there are off-topic forums for discussion about gripes and whiging and stuff and you're welcome to post any damn thing you like in there.

This thread is merely an iteration of what used to be here in the old vB, and merely reinforces the direction of the forum.

I'd like to see and end to:

Personal insults

Petty squabbles

Unhelpful **************** in general

and more useful contribution to what is after all a free forum for the exchange of knowledge and personal experiences of electric guitars and electric guitar related stuff, and if you're disappointed about that Knotty, off you pop matey and close the door behind you, and anybody else who doesn't want to focus on the core values of HCEG can follow. I'm even happy for good intelligent triolling (Uma Floresta and Django style), and even heated debate over guitar or musical related issues, but I won't tolerate any personal abuse.

1st Offence: Temp bamn

2nd Offence Perma ban

Now if you'd like to poi9nt out whats it is about that you don't like I'll see what I can do for you in terms of access to forums where you can do other stuff.

I don't see I can be fairer than that.

My initial point was about a thread regarding traffic being moved/deleted/who knows?

There have been many threads about the forum, not least those actually trying to improve it and keep it going when it seemed like there were only a dozen of us left. It was the sudden change of heart that was confusing.

When I say your ball I mean the "corporate " ball.

Now at least we/I know that they will be applied" with discretion" plus some trolling and some "heated debate".

I don't know what this part sentence from your original post means - we'll not be too harsh on "Gathering Threads" or "Subforum Chat threads" etc and we will use our discretion.

As for your if you don't like if {censored} off attitude. Thanks for that, I am sure all the problems with this forum are my fault. Its nice to know the years of support are appreciated.

I Pm'd you to open some clarification on why the thread disappeared but you ignored that and chose to do it here.

No I don't want to leave but you may decide differently.

• Members

Steve, posts about traffic are not electric guitar related, you can fire off opinions in other forums or you can mail a mod or better still an admin and they can examine your particular issue.

Read what I posted above, I do what I do, because this place used to be full of great people with loads of knowledge that they gave away for free, and I'd like it to be like that again.

Most of them drifted off when the Lithium board took hold and ideally I'd like to get those posters back, so if they visit by chance and visit HCEG, I'd like them to find a well run forum with threads composed mainly 97.5%+ of electric guitar and related material that they wold like again to be part of, not a bunch of reprobates scribblin ****************e all over the walls and being internet twats.

Your particular post was unhelpful, but more importantly in the wrong forum, that's all.

Actually since changing from Lithium back to vB, this forum, HCEG has seen a decent increase in front page turnover, and that's what I'd like to see happen more.

I'm also happy at any stage if any of you think I'm out of order for you to tell me, just like Dan did a few weeks ago when I banned Bucksstudent; Dan put a case to me, I listened and found I agreed with him, so unbanned BS, who is now generally a damn decent poster.

Sorry if I pissed you off, didn't mean to.

The only thing I am mad about...is the disappearance of the amp forum. That isn't your fault (AFAIK).

The posts are NOT about "traffic". The posts were about knotty, chordite, Floyd Rosenbomb, gardo, you and me...and every member here. It's an observation about where we stand right now, and what we can do to help grow our forum into a MUSICAL COMMUNITY. Or are we not to be a "community" anymore? You can find information anywhere on the net...it's not exclusive to H-C. But what makes harmony central different is a chance to get to know that guy that told you you can remove the magnet from the pickup and put it in a different pup. What amps does he play? What does he do for a living? What kind of music does he play?

Granted..it's not all that important if all you wanrt to know is how to replace that magnet. But...it IS important if we want a "community".

I realize we don't want piping hot you-know-whats, and "how do I post a pic of my ex". Most of the guys used H-CAF as a personal facebook page. I never agreed with that to begin with, and it made me a little bit of a...weenie. (to be clear I did participate an a LOT of OT! : | ) But that was the amp forum....scum of den. I stuck up for the change...tried to reason with "them" about the need for it and good things to come. Well...that plan crashed. We had to start over AGAIN. Now I can't even get to my beloved amp forum.

And now you have me further confused. On one hand you stress the importance of ON TOPIC ONLY. Then a few posts ago you stress you'd "like to see and end to:

"Personal insults

Petty squabbles

Unhelpful **************** in general"

and: I won't tolerate any personal abuse.

Fully agree with that stance....but it is FAR different than "no off topic tolerated". And especially now without an amp forum....guitars are the closest thing. You also note " some parody threads okay"...again confusing!

We're on the same team about this being a helpful respectful resource for guitars. And there are other forums for other music interests (except amps). But I think there would NATURALLY be some offshoot socializing- and I would hope there would be some room for respectful gentlemanly fellowship.

I don't see how me promoting our forum in a respectful manner is unhelpful.

• Moderators

Steve I think we may have some crossed wires and I find I cannot disagree with the majority of your post, so yes, I think we're on the same team, so my apologies once again if I've not made myself unambiguous enough.

That said I don't understand why:

"Personal insults

Petty squabbles

Unhelpful **************** in general"

and: I won't tolerate any personal abuse.

is incompatible with On Topic posts?

and also I have never said anything about parody threads....I don't generally find them useful, but there are the odd funny ones when done in the correct spirit.

My probably obscure reference to:

"Gathering Threads" or "Subforum Chat threads"

Refers to threads such as the one started some years ago by aenamated, summat like "OMG, new guitar day imminent" or something similar, which became a sort of sub forum for people to stay within the HCEG "fellowship" but talk about any old crap they wanted, a sort of general chat forum, and I think it accumulated something like 1000 pages and around 1 million posts or something crazy, although again I'd like to see those threads self policed by the posters, so some sense of decorum is observed.

At this point I'll declare a direct interest.

I have a 13 year old who is a good guitarist, and I try and look at this place and wonder if I'd be happy with him visiting it and what would it say to him, and if I see that he is learning about guitars, guitar modification, building, customising, hot-rodding etc in a relatively safe and pleasant environment then I'm cool with that. That's ultimately my template.

I maybe being a tad condescending or patronising but I'm just asking for good healthy stuff, not bothered about profanity too much, I know most kids become aware about 9-10 years old, although the forum as you see doesn't like my profanity and I have to respect that although I can circumvent and write shít and fúck without the filter recognising my petty tricks, however I do recognise why the filters are there, and will try to abide by them.

Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to clarify

Seán

• Moderators

I Pm'd you to open some clarification on why the thread disappeared but you ignored that and chose to do it here.

Due to the still not quite right messaging for mods, I keep getting shed loads of stuff in my messaging tray, and there is every chance I deleted your post if you PM'd me, as I get all notifications about every single thing on the whole site which gives me around 20 items every day, so again if I did delete your PM, my apologies, I didn't mean to, however I like to do things out in the open. I'm not a politician or company man, I get nothing from the owners of this board.

Archived