No announcement yet.

Who & Why do they stamp headstocks "used"

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who & Why do they stamp headstocks "used"

I have seen some that are not stamped, but impressed into the rear of the headstock. Not removeable.

Other than being a tone killer(just kidding) who does this and why?

sometimes its factory seconds and sometimes its the shop that stamps them used or stamps something similar...keeps them from ever being sold as new to an unsuspecting buyer for one or being returned for new warranty service as well.
    spam:
    GFS Classic Alnico Tele neck pickup - $15
    GFC Classic Alnico 62 Tele bridge pickup - $15
    Trade offers welcome

Comment

Well I guess that would make sense, especially once you start hitting the $1000 mark.

It just seems like it'd be kind of a buzz killer sometimes.

musician- "Yes this is my baby here, model xxx, killer tone, great feel"

fan/woman - "what that stamped on the back?"

Comment

Originally posted by seaofstrings
        Well I guess that would make sense, especially once you start hitting the $1000 mark.

It just seems like it'd be kind of a buzz killer sometimes.

musician- "Yes this is my baby here, model xxx, killer tone, great feel"

fan/woman - "what that stamped on the back?"

lol...a buddy has a guitar that is stamped second and if you didnt specifically look, you would never know.

besides, who on earth asks to see your serial number 'cept when you are selling?
        spam:
        Trade offers welcome

Comment

Originally posted by k4df4l

lol...a buddy has a guitar that is stamped second and if you didnt specifically look, you would never know.

besides, who on earth asks to see your serial number 'cept when you are selling?

No, a few I have seen have been astronomically huge. Not serial number size. I am talking 1/2" tall letters inbedded into the wood.

That was my question though. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by seaofstrings

No, a few I have seen have been astronomically huge. Not serial number size. I am talking 1/2" tall letters inbedded into the wood.

That was my question though. thanks

interestingly enough, I have seen people pass on some really nice guitars because they were stamped USED....it doesn't bother me but I can understand how it would to some.
            spam:
            Trade offers welcome

Comment

interestingly enough, I have seen people pass on some really nice guitars because they were stamped USED....it doesn't bother me but I can understand how it would to some.

yea, I know it sounds, well, stupid. For some reason it does matter with me. I am normally not at all one who would care... kinda weird.

I think it is more the theory behind doing it, not that it is stamped. My used car I purchased doesn't have this, nor my home, etc.....

kind weird i guess

Comment

MIRC does this stamping. They make problem products go away for the guitar companies by buying large lots of seconds, corpses, parts, and junk, then refubing what they can, grading them, and reselling them to retailers, pawnshops, and ebayers. I have dealt with them, and had issues with service, pricing, and product quality. This may have changed.

To read more about them, go to........

www.mircweb.com

Comment

If the price is also "used" it may not be as big a deal.

I wonder, though, with factory-stamped "used" instruments, whether they have a history. That might include returns on warrantee for structural issues, broken or damged stock from retailers sent back to the manufacturer, "refurbs", etc. Those guitars may have been A-stock when they first left left the factory, and since they are not "new" the second time out, they stamp 'em "used".

In short, "used" might mean "refurbished".

And that could mean anything from a fixed finish blemish to repair of a splintered neck or kicked-in hollowbody.

{EDIT: I just noticed the http://www.mircweb.com/ link. Most interesting!}
                  "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

I think they are bad necks, if it has a finish blem why ruin the neck with a huge stamp? There are bad frets or they are warped or somthing that keeps them from passing the QC.
                    Got any of dem french fried purtaters?

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64
                      I think they are bad necks, if it has a finish blem why ruin the neck with a huge stamp? There are bad frets or they are warped or somthing that keeps them from passing the QC.

Every company has different standards for grading their blems, defects, and such. See my previous post regarding a company called MIRC-they do the big USED stamp as part of their reclamatiion process. MIRC used to charge a price just shy of first quality to dealers, so the end user price wouldnt be as low as a real "used" instrument, because the dealer would need to get some margin out of the deal.

Other companies use a small 2 or second mark that is usually far more subtle. Seconds range from finish flaws to complete garbage. I have dealt with a lot of b-stock over the years, and the best comes from Godin/Seagull, Fernandes, and Schecter. The worst from Jay Turser, Hohner, Washburn, and any off brands.

Frankly, there is so much sub-par product out there its just scary.

Comment

So if it has a bad body finish they ruin the neck? that dont seem like somthing they would do when they could just throw the neck on a different body. Maybe both have blems? Only thing ive ever seen was stamps on the necks nothing on the body.

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64
                          So if it has a bad body finish they ruin the neck? that dont seem like somthing they would do when they could just throw the neck on a different body. Maybe both have blems? Only thing ive ever seen was stamps on the necks nothing on the body.

I have never seen any body stamps either, and I wouldnt call a stamp ruining a neck, just IDing the guitar as less than first quality to hold up the companys rep, and avoid bogus warranty claims.

It is not cost effective to cobble together 1 good guitar out of two bad ones, which is why MIRC exists-they sweep the floor of guitar companies warehouses, and do the cobbling for them after putting their own stamp and serial number on them to protect the original manufacturer.

I prefer the stamp on this stuff to the Washburn method of dumping junk on the world with no indication that it is flawed or fully defective. Some companies like Takamine, Ovation, and Hamer grade their less than first quality stuff with a tier system-AAA, AA, and so on. Sometimes companies stamp perfectly good overstocks as blems just to move them out. Its a wicked, wacky world of guitars out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde42
                            I prefer the stamp on this stuff to the Washburn method of dumping junk on the world with no indication that it is flawed or fully defective.
                            Ya. Hell will freeze and become populated with polar bears and seals before I'll ever buy a Washburn, & that's why. (Plus the fact that they SUXOR.)

Altho I heard Bob Dylan owns one Washburn; go figure.
                            You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
                            GB Trooper #198
                            'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy. (sic)
                            "Ned is the Jimi Hendrix of trolls." Minitruth, Dec. 18, 2007

Comment

Where can i get headless "USED" guitars? prefer steinberger.

Comment

Working...
                              X