Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried a Gibson TP-6 tailpiece?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried a Gibson TP-6 tailpiece?

The fine tuners seem practical, but is tone/sustain affected? I don't know that it would fit my Agile, but it can't hurt to try. Not available in Nickel, though
    "for a guy who couldn't write at allhe was about like the restof them: he could suretalk aboutit."- BukowskiG: Agile LP (BG Bucker A2/Hellabucker A8), Ibanez RG2550 (Jon Baxter PAF/TB-6). A: Peavey XXX combo (used as head) w/JJE34L's, Engl Screamer head Lopo 2x12 w/Emi. v128's E: Joyo Vintage OD, MXR Micro Flanger, Hardwire OD, Hardwire Chorus, MXR 10 Band EQ, Bad Monkey, MI Audio Crunchbox (18v), Behringer Ultra Fuzz, Boss HM2

I've seen em, I dont know what tehy do though, they look like a Floyd Rose but without the trem

how much finer of a tuning can you get with a tune-a-matic?
    MY GUITARS

Comment

its for people who put locking tuners on their les pauls and ect..
      www.rig-talk.com
      XT Brotherhood

Comment

I have one on my Sheraton. They don't affect the tone at all as far as I can tell. I put this one on because I had it around when I removed the Bigsby that this guitar used to have.
        They are handy to do quick tuning adjustments while you are playing.

My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
        PRS CE24 w/ piezo
        Floyd LP
        Fender Stratocaster
        Lucero classical
        Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

Originally posted by p4vl
          The fine tuners seem practical, but is tone/sustain affected? I don't know that it would fit my Agile, but it can't hurt to try. Not available in Nickel, though
          They work fine. I doubt that you will notice any sustain difference. As for them fitting on your Agile, hard to say. More than likely, you will at least have to pull the studs out and replace them with the ones that come with the bridge.
          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
          -For Sale:
          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

I put them on my LP and SG - I can't tell a difference although they have greater mass and should in-theory improve sustain. I just like fine tuners.

Comment

I have one on my LP Custom and it's great. It works perfectly and I haven't noticed any change in tone. Wish I would have done it years ago.

Comment

I've had one on my LPC for 20+ years. The tone is not affected and the convenience of the fine tuners can't be beat for those "on the fly" fixes

Give the hardest job to the laziest man and he'll find the easiest way to make it work

I'm still LPBlue dammit! HCGB #25 FF

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyR
                  I've had one on my LPC for 20+ years. The tone is not affected and the convenience of the fine tuners can't be beat for those "on the fly" fixes

my jaw hits the floor everytime i see that guitar
                  www.rig-talk.com
                  XT Brotherhood

Comment

I feel like responding!
                    The TP-6 tailpiece was one of the biggest improvements I gave my SG Custom. Hard to find this past summer in Gold, I finally got it October 2nd 2006. It is the true deal for those cases where the guitar needs just a slight adjustment, and you are looking to avoid the tuning overshot deal that happens with adjusting the regular tuners.
                    Guitar Center has them for around $46 in Chrome or Gold.
                    Along with a new Gotoh bridge, Sperzel Tuners and the TP-6 my Epi SG Custom has the sustain and wonderful tone that good, improved hardware can do for the not-so-actual Gibson Model.
                    Now we're Screamin'!!
                    (PS....I won't part with the Alnico V pickups on this Korean built Custom. They are quite nice.)

Comment

I have one on a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. I tried a regular stop bar for a short time to see if there was any difference in tone or sustain, but I didn't hear any. It works well, although I rarely use the fine tuners - the guitar stays in tune quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by tjon
                        my jaw hits the floor everytime i see that guitar

Thanks, and if you happened to have saved it could you post it again? It would seem I've just lost the only copy to Photobucket!

Thanks J.R.
                        Give the hardest job to the laziest man and he'll find the easiest way to make it work

I'm still LPBlue dammit! HCGB #25 FF

Comment

Originally posted by ggc
                          I have one on a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. I tried a regular stop bar for a short time to see if there was any difference in tone or sustain, but I didn't hear any. It works well, although I rarely use the fine tuners - the guitar stays in tune quite well.

ggc, What pick-ups do you have in your Howard Roberts sig model?

Back on topics, I do have the tp-6 on my Gary Moore sig LP. The reason I got it was that for slight adjustments, the normal tuning going through the (poorly cut) nut is too time consuming and often detune after a couple of bends. I know, I'll have to have a new nut made but, since that guitar was only slightly less expensive than a standard, they could have done it right in the first place, or not? Anyway here it is :

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Hi Jkater. Pickups are the originals. I don't know the models. They sound pretty much like a PAF - medium output, balanced tone, good clean or overdriven.

Comment

I have them on my LP and SG. As someone else said above they are great for on the fly tuning fixes.
                              "I ate lead paint when I was a kid. What's your excuse?"

Comment

Working...
                              X