• Show
Clear All

i am sure it is not a high fret
    but some sort of resonance cancellation

Right.

Comment

i am sure it is not a high fret
      but some sort of resonance cancellation

Yup. My 335 had a sort of resonance problem on one note, mid-neck, not severe. I talked about it with the luthier who did a set-up for me, before and after, about it. It was a resonance issue, NOT a high fret, and nothing could be done.

Mind you, the note just resonated for a shorter time than the others. It wasn't completely dead. And the rest of the guitar is exceptionally alive-sounding.

So I've kept it. And I'm using the past tense because it isn't really a problem any more. Maybe still there a little, but it seems to have diminished. Or maybe I'm just less anal about it.
      2009 Gretsch Country Club G6196TSP-2G
      Edwards E-LP-85SD/P Les Paul Goldtop
      1965 Gretsch Clipper
      Squier '51
      Gretsch Sundown Serenade

1966 BF Princeton Reverb

Comment

Tune the G string exactly a tone sharp and see if the dead spot moves. Then you'll know if it's a fret or a resonance issue.

Comment

Weird. I've never played a guitar with a "dead spot"

I own 30 guitars too.

Try an acoustic and play an F/F#/G on the A string. One of those notes, unless you're very fortunate, will be louder and more dead-sounding than its neighbour with a pronounced 'thunk' and little or no sustain. Every guitar will have a wolf-tone somewhere; in fact every acoustic, stringed instrument will to a greater or lesser degree, although this is usually less noticeable on a solid-body. The resonant frequency of the fretted note and that of the guitar body cancel each other out producing an unpleasant and unmusical note.
          Fender US Standard Tele
          Fender Baja Tele
          Fender MIM Standard Tele

Comment

Yup. My 335 had a sort of resonance problem on one note, mid-neck, not severe. I talked about it with the luthier who did a set-up for me, before and after, about it. It was a resonance issue, NOT a high fret, and nothing could be done.

Mind you, the note just resonated for a shorter time than the others. It wasn't completely dead. And the rest of the guitar is exceptionally alive-sounding.

I believe that this is what's happening with this guitar. He's taking it in today to have a tech take a look.
            The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

It's possible there is a gap under the fret tang. You may be able to wick some Superglue underneath the fret to fill the void and improve the sustain.
              Originally Posted by Alchemist

This is NOT a guitar players forum, this is a guitar buyers forum... most people really dont care about skill development, especially when its more fun to just buy shiny new ****************...

Originally Posted by vash_08

i've put the tip in as far as it will go, and it still isn't heating up.

Good Dealings with: tincob, lowbrow, SnoMan97, adlo76, Mike Fiasco, _pete_, The Bear, sahlomonic, Tweedledee, vrm, zuzuman

Comment

Has he put new strings on it since he bought it? It could be a kink in the string. Slide your finger along the bottom of the string. You can sometimes feel the deformity.

I would at least try replacing the G string if he as already put new strings on it before trying anything else. If it's an actual dead spot caused by phase cancellation you could try a heavier gauge string for the G.
                "I ate lead paint when I was a kid. What's your excuse?"

Comment

Well, I never heard of the resonance thing but you learn something new everyday.

Comment

since in never up that high on the neck no way.
                    sons of SUNN

pedlolboard
                    skullytone fx living dead drive > russian spi sanford and sonny bluebeard (((in triphonic))) Red*bear mk120 > 68 sunn 200s > ampeg v2 > your earpussies

good tranny shared with Severed Pumpkin MakuseruSukotto theAntihero X2 Dr. Doom Shamdog Bobby D Noise. . . Ancient X2

Comment

Update:

According to the guy who owns it, the "luthier" was off for the holidays, so a "tech" took a look at it. He lowered the pickups and raised the stopbar. I personally haven't seen it or heard it, but apparently it's much better now.
                      The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

i am thinking of changing the saddles, upping the gauge to 11 and changing the springs.

Would this help the resonance problem at all?

Comment

upzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

i am thinking of changing the saddles, upping the gauge to 11 and changing the springs.

Would this help the resonance problem at all?

Beats me. The only "solution" I know of is a Fatfinger, but I've never tried it.
                            http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Fat-Finger-Guitar-Sustain-Enhancer?sku=420270

I personally prefer 10s on Fender-scale guitars and 11s on Gibsons.

Comment

would putting a capo on the headstock help lessen the dead spot?

Comment

would putting a capo on the headstock help lessen the dead spot?

Possibly. If it is a resonance related dead spot.
                                "I ate lead paint when I was a kid. What's your excuse?"

Comment

Working...
                                X