Dead spot - deal breaker?

Oldskool Texas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i am sure it is not a high fret

but some sort of resonance cancellation

Yup. My 335 had a sort of resonance problem on one note, mid-neck, not severe. I talked about it with the luthier who did a set-up for me, before and after, about it. It was a resonance issue, NOT a high fret, and nothing could be done.

Mind you, the note just resonated for a shorter time than the others. It wasn't completely dead. And the rest of the guitar is exceptionally alive-sounding.

So I've kept it. And I'm using the past tense because it isn't really a problem any more. Maybe still there a little, but it seems to have diminished. Or maybe I'm just less anal about it.

• Members

Weird. I've never played a guitar with a "dead spot"

I own 30 guitars too.

Try an acoustic and play an F/F#/G on the A string. One of those notes, unless you're very fortunate, will be louder and more dead-sounding than its neighbour with a pronounced 'thunk' and little or no sustain. Every guitar will have a wolf-tone somewhere; in fact every acoustic, stringed instrument will to a greater or lesser degree, although this is usually less noticeable on a solid-body. The resonant frequency of the fretted note and that of the guitar body cancel each other out producing an unpleasant and unmusical note.

• Members

Yup. My 335 had a sort of resonance problem on one note, mid-neck, not severe. I talked about it with the luthier who did a set-up for me, before and after, about it. It was a resonance issue, NOT a high fret, and nothing could be done.

Mind you, the note just resonated for a shorter time than the others. It wasn't completely dead. And the rest of the guitar is exceptionally alive-sounding.

I believe that this is what's happening with this guitar. He's taking it in today to have a tech take a look.

• Members

Has he put new strings on it since he bought it? It could be a kink in the string. Slide your finger along the bottom of the string. You can sometimes feel the deformity.

I would at least try replacing the G string if he as already put new strings on it before trying anything else. If it's an actual dead spot caused by phase cancellation you could try a heavier gauge string for the G.

• Members

i am thinking of changing the saddles, upping the gauge to 11 and changing the springs.

Would this help the resonance problem at all?

Beats me. The only "solution" I know of is a Fatfinger, but I've never tried it.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Fat-Finger-Guitar-Sustain-Enhancer?sku=420270

I personally prefer 10s on Fender-scale guitars and 11s on Gibsons.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've ran into such "repeatable" problems (these were minor dead spot problems). The fix ended up not just changing the strings, but changing to a different brand and/or gauge of strings.

And, yes, believe it or not, a FatFinger works -- but better on a Tele than on a Strat (because a Strat has a heavier headstock than a Tele). You already have significant mass with the bridge and the body its anchored to, and now the FatFinger adds a spot of mass that you lack on the opposite end of the vibrating strings. There's also a larger heavier FatFinger model for basses.

Archived