Silk Screen Printing - Les Paul Headstock content

GuitarNoobie

• Members

FYI,

For anyone that's interested in silk screen printing there are a couple of good threads over at MLP...

in the first one the guy not only has video's of how it works, but he is selling the screen that contains Les Paul Model... kind of pricey, but i've got one on the way...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/78082-how-silkscreen-guitar-headstock-les-paul-style.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/43105-les-paul-refinish-2.html

here are the videos....

[YOUTUBE]lzl-ilnxkA0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pxNdmdVLm7k[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

if you look at the thread he recommends using etching ink.

you're an expert so i don't have any experience to really respond. however your point about the outline of a decal is the best reason i can think of to do it this way.

i guess i will soon find out how well it will work...

thanks for the input Randy_G... :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

btw, here's the best i have done practicing so far. the good news is the ink is very forgiving and you can just wipe it off with a little mineral spirits if it's not right.

my silk screen has a slight issue with the lower loop on the L as you can see, but i think it's close enough...

pennies on the back side for spacing...

dcam6344.jpg

gibby logo tape off, not using that here...

dcam6345.jpg

ready to go. clamped down on a good base...

dcam6347.jpg

some of my first attempts...

dcam6348.jpg

and the last one i did...

dcam6355.jpg

need to play with the gibby logo too, but the headstock i am about to do has my personal logo/inlay not gibsons....

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

Phil, I thought the same thing when I first saw this. How many times does the average person who posts on a forum like this refinished a vintage gibbie where he has to redo the logo on the headstock. Not only the questions about what a refin does to the value, but it is possible to protect the headstock.... If the OP was an authorized Gibson repair person he would probably have access to factory tools to do this job.

Now it would be quite another thing to make a silk screen of your own logo but I don't see that going on here.

• Members

I ran a t-shirt printing operation for years. This is a great option for getting a great looking result. I have no idea what kind of inks/curing process you'd use and whether your clear coat choice would affect what ink you use. You'd need to know the answers to those I think.

• Members
I sure hope this is strictly for refinishing authentic Gibsons - if I see even a HINT that this is being used for, or promoted for use on non-Gibsons, I'll pull the thread, as per HC's no-counterfeits policy. :cop:

phil here is a picture of the les pauls i used to own and still own 4 of the 5. as you can clearly see the two les paul copies are clearly identified as such on the headstock.

now on to the subject of this sorry web site.

this used to be the greatest music web site on the internet, but the people in charge here decided to change it and drive off the people and threads that made this place special. very poor choices were made by leadership and mgmt.

i now longer shop at MF or GC. i no longer come here unless its a direct response to one of the threads that is still left from the glory days.. you guys ruined this site and it;s my understanding you all use a very heavy and right leaning hand in moderating the political forum, where the entire partisanship has changed since the takeover.

so phil, you can kiss my ass, you can delete this thread or any thread i made or posted in here. you ruined it here buddy. :cop:

dcam6478o.jpg

phil here is a picture of the les pauls i used to own and still own 4 of the 5. as you can clearly see the two les paul copies are clearly identified as such on the headstock.

If that's the case, then my comments and warnings weren't directed at you and can be safely ignored then, can't they? smile.png

now on to the subject of this sorry web site.

this used to be the greatest music web site on the internet, but the people in charge here decided to change it and drive off the people and threads that made this place special. very poor choices were made by leadership and mgmt.

The decision to move to Jive and then the decision to move to Lithium were made by people other than me - and FWIW, those people no longer work for the company that currently owns this site. Also, FWIW, my recommendation was, and has ALWAYS been to "give the people what they want" as much as humanly possible - and I have served as an advocate and voice for the members here for years.

i now longer shop at MF or GC. i no longer come here unless its a direct response to one of the threads that is still left from the glory days..

That's certainly your decision to make. There's plenty of places to buy gear, and to be fair to the current site owners (who BTW, "took over" the site in July 2005 - you joined in May of that year, so unless you're describing a two month period between when you registered and before they purchased the site and brought Craig Anderton, Dendy Jarrett and me aboard as site admins, those "glory days" were during the time when I was an active site admin and editor here) HC has always been non-partisan and editorially independent, with reviews, links to and ads from lots of various vendors besides GC and MF, such as Sweetwater, independent companies that sell gear that MF and GC don't carry, etc. etc.

you guys ruined this site and it;s my understanding you all use a very heavy and right leaning hand in moderating the political forum, where the entire partisanship has changed since the takeover.

lol.gif You don't know squat about my political POV. Anything you know is second-hand, and apparently erroneous. I'm a registered independent. I have some views that could be considered moderately conservative, and others that are moderately libertarian, and others that are outright liberal. I voted against Prop 8, and in favor of Prop 215, and I voted for Jerry Brown for governor in the last election. I'd hardly call that "right wing." lol.giffacepalm.gif

As far as the political forum, everyone is expected to abide by the same rules. People from the left and the right are both welcome - we don't allow either side to dominate or try to drive off the other. Those who can't follow the rules and keep the discussion civil are usually warned - often repeatedly - before being temp banned. Many people (from both sides) manage to post there regularly for YEARS without ever being banned. The ratio of those who get banned who side with the left and right sides politically are about equal, and that's because people on the left and right seem to break the rules in about equal numbers. I don't give a rip what someone's political POV is - all I care about is whether or not they follow the site rules.

Again, those "glory days" you referred to - the period where the site did the best it ever did in terms of traffic, page views, forum participation, content creation (articles, expert and user reviews, etc. etc.) were from 2005 until about 2009 - 2010. Check the stats on Alexa if you want... things started to go downhill when site response and performance started to suffer badly because traffic started to overwhelm the capabilities of the hardware, and others (FWIW, against my recommendations) made changes to the site that members were unhappy with.

so phil, you can kiss my ass, you can delete this thread or any thread i made or posted in here. you ruined it here buddy. cop.gif

I'll give you a pass on telling me that since I can understand your frustrations to a degree (even though on any other site saying something like that to a moderator would probably earn you a ban cop.gif ) but you might want to pull your head out of yours and learn the facts before you start trying to blame people who were not responsible. It does no good to tell off the very people who were, and who are still doing whatever they can and actively trying to make things better here. idea.gifwave.gif

• Moderators

Whoa GN, Phil is one of the good guys in this place, not even vaguely heavy handed, I have no idea of his politics, but I'm pretty good at working out if somebody leans one way or another and Phil has always played straight down the middle, he puts up with a lot of crap, knows what this site was like and is now but keeps things ticking over, hell, he's even "liberal" enough to make me a Euro mod when we wre getting loads of kitchen spam early in the GMT+0 time zone, so I've seen his interaction "behind the curtain". To be honest my view of the mods, admins and everybody else is that they'd all love to go to a time whne we have fond memories of, but forward is the only gear, so we make the best of what's left. I find it useful in a number of areas of life.....and it's good to see you again.

Archived