Robert Plant or Roger Daltrey?

Preacher

• Members

Both were frontmen for iconic UK bands whose influence spanned the globe. Charismatic vocalists who worked alongside incredibly talented guitarists/ arrangers. I thought this might be interesting just because Plant elicits such widely varying opinions.

RobertPlant3.jpg72RD-UK-PST-RD.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Daltrey if it's Who vs Zeppelin. But recently I really like what Plant is doing with his Band of Joy. However both men have aged well, sing well, and are still charismatic on stage.

I pretty much agree. If you're going strictly by vocals during their heyday, then Daltrey slays Plant, but as far as what they have done musically over the last 25 years or so, Plant has been much more diverse and interesting; Daltrey's sadly part of a nostalgia act that should have called it quits about 1982...

• Members

I pretty much agree. If you're going strictly by vocals during their heyday, then Daltrey slays Plant, but as far as what they have done musically over the last 25 years or so, Plant has been much more diverse and interesting; Daltrey's sadly part of a nostalgia act that should have called it quits about 1982...

All pretty much true.

• Members

If it's based on singing talent then in my opinion it's Daltrey by a mile. Those notes (and screams) come with such force clarity and strength. Plant and his falsetto can't even come close.

Personally I think Plant was by far the weakest link in Zep. But having said that, if I could only have one of the two band's record collections I'd take Zep every time.

• Members

I've listened to both bands a whole lot, and it really is a tossup to me. Listen to Plant live when they were doing shows circa the release of Zeppelin I and his voice is just unbelievable. From what I remember, the performances of How Many More Times and Dazed and Confused from that era show off Plant's singing abilities the best. This is when Robert Plant's voice was at its prime to me. And he was very versatile too, doing the hard rocking songs with the screams and all to the softer, gentler songs such as going to california, rain song, and that's the way. Not to mention all the other styles he covered live with Zeppelin as well, such as Rockabilly and 50s stuff.

Daltrey, like Plant, was also a great rock and roll singer but was also able to cover other styles as well. Listen to the Who's first album and you'll hear a lot of Daltrey doing Motown and r&b style stuff, very similar to James Brown and Little Richard. Very soulful stuff. But Daltrey's singing in Love Reign O'er Me is probably my favorite that he's ever done.

Archived