Introducing the TV Jones And The Solid Body Electric ...

Doctor Morbius

• Members

This guitar started out life as an MIM Classic Player '60s Strat. I always liked the way the guitar played and looked, but never bonded with the stock Custom Shop '69 pickups. After posting the guitar on Craig's List more than a few times and finally getting tired of the tire kickers and lowballers, I decided to turn it into something I would enjoy for many years to come.

My only complaint is that it looks almost exactly like my friend's Fender Blacktop HH Strat. I even used a Blacktop HH pickguard to match the original mint green S/S/S one.

Upgrades: TV Jones Classics in humbucker mount, American Standard 2-point trem unit, CTS 500k pots, orange drop cap, Fender Blacktop HH pickguard, TV Jones stickers and a fret buff and polish using 0000 steel wool followed by a dremmel with a felt wheel and polishing compound.

The last pics are of my 4 most toneful guitars and my top 3 amps.

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

• Members

I actually bought a set of TV Jones with the idea of putting them in this strat, but only managed to get the bridge installed. It was only routed H/S/S and I'm lazy.

Plus my time is WAY too valuable to to go routing a body using just a Dremel. :lol:

I was gonna go with Gretsch knobs but in lieu of that, those knobs are pretty cool, Doc.

DSC_5168a1.jpg

• Members

Heh, i've had a somewhat similar idea myself although not with my CP Strat (I like the CS69s). But I've been debating between Classics or Magnatrons.

What's the verdict on sound? That's been my other big deliberation.. use a Strat and go with pick guard mount or use a Tele for direct mount.

• Members

What's the verdict on sound?

Not to speak for Doc, but for a clean to low gain player, it's absolutely {censored}ing killer-sounding! And I don't typically curse on the forum. :lol:

The middle position is probably my favorite middle position humbucker tone I've ever heard.

• Members
I really like the look, playability and the sound of the 60's CP - but wow you really took the look to another level. Does it sound as good as it looks?

Absolutely. The bridge nails the rockabilly sound, the middle position kind of reminds me of the middle position of a Jazzmaster and the neck has its own thing going on. It doesn't sound like Setzer's Gretsch though. And there are very strong hints of stratty goodness.

• Members

I actually bought a set of TV Jones with the idea of putting them in this strat, but only managed to get the bridge installed. It was only routed H/S/S and I'm lazy.

Plus my time is WAY too valuable to to go routing a body using just a Dremel.
:lol:

I was gonna go with Gretsch knobs but in lieu of that, those knobs are pretty cool, Doc.

DSC_5168a1.jpg

That wood is dreamy.

• Members

I really like the neck TV Jones and the neck+middle positions so I personally couldn't imagine doing an H/S/S affair... the other two tones are just TOO good to pass up.

Having said that, if you were set on doing an H/S/S strat of some sort and you want a much more jangly and open sounding bridge pickup than the typical HB, you could do a whole lot worse than the Classic. :idk:

Archived