Gibson SG Std Limited Ed Vs. Gibson SG Std

Bbreaker

• Members

I like the natural burst and vintage burst better than the finishes on the Standard. I played an SG Pro or something at Guitar Center (vintage burst finish, with zebra pickups and coil splitters), and the fingerboard looked to light to be rosewood, so it must have been the baked maple. I loved the guitar - I played it for almost an hour in a near-empty store. I really wished I could have brought it home.

• Members

I have no idea about the fretboards as i have never played a baked maple. but man, i would spring for the standard model that is coil splitting, some of them come with burstbucker 1 and 3, some with 490R/498T, I ended up buying one a week or so ago and i cant put it down.

I dont know anything about the 490R/498T, but the BB 1/3 sound insanely good in these SGs. My R7 can't even touch it.

• Members

I think since you hate baked maple so much you should pick up the limited edition. Then at least you'll know why you hate it!
:D

Don't know if I hate it but it seems that Gibson's rosewood stock is a bit thin.

Before the flack starts flying, I've never played a baked maple board but I'm comfortable with rosewood.

Given the choice, I'd take rosewood.

Obeche anyone?

• Members

Haven't you started at least a few baked maple threads? No offense meant, but maybe it wouldn't hurt you to check one out. I know I'm not a fan of vulcanized/torrefied/baked maple when used on Gibson style guitars, but I've already played quite a few of them. I don't mind it so much on Fender types, mostly because it still feels and sounds like maple to me.

• Members

Ive got the SG junior with the baked maple. I really like it. And you can darken the color with Old English lemon oil, or for darker, scratch remover.

The feel is great (although I've always been a fan of fender all maple necks) and the sound is slightly, but not appreciably brighter.

You really have to see for yourself ... but I am a sucker for the vintage burst color. However, I went with the junior for cost and pickup reasons.

• Members

Haven't you started at least a few baked maple threads? No offense meant, but maybe it wouldn't hurt you to check one out. I know I'm not a fan of vulcanized/torrefied/baked maple when used on Gibson style guitars, but I've already played quite a few of them. I don't mind it so much on Fender types, mostly because it still feels and sounds like maple to me.

I'm sure I'm going to play a baked maple fretboard Gibson sometime.

Maybe one of those SG Jr's.

• Members

I really prefer the colors on the Ltd. Ed. SG, but I would go with the Standard due to the rosewood. I also have had the opportunity to play a Gibson with a baked maple board, and I still prefer rosewood. While the maple was fine, there's just something about the feel of rosewood that speaks to me. All of my guitars except for my ebony-boarded SG, even the Fender, have rosewood boards. I've been playing for almost 25 years now, and I've never come across a maple boarded guitar I could bond with. Simply personal preference.

• Members

Just saw this in the new AMS catalog ($1,299 w/case):

Gibson Limited Edition SG Standard 24 Electric Guitar Features

* Solid Mahogany body with Ebony finish

* Bound Rosewood fingerboard with acrylic trapezoid inlays

* Slim, fast neck profile

* Mini-Humbucking pickup in the neck and full-sized Tony Iommi Signature humbucking pickup in the bridge

* Grover kidney button tuners with 14:1 tuning ratio

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SG24M-EBCH1-LIST

GIB%20SG24M%20EBCH1.jpg

• Members

That's a tough one. I don't really care bout the baked maple, and the finishes are awesome on the LE (I've always loved white SGs, and the burst and red are killer). If I were buying new, I would probably give that one a shot. Though, just bought a used standard, so it's a no go for me.

• Members

I'm going through a similar exercise myself - trying to find the "right" SG for me. Still trying to figure out:

- Do I care about baked maple? I prefer the looks of dark rosewood.

- Is 24 frets good or bad? Will it affect the balance? I hate neck-heavy guitars.

- Why is the '61 reissue $800 more than the Standard? They kinda seem the same to me.

etc, etc...

• Members

I'm going through a similar exercise myself - trying to find the "right" SG for me. Still trying to figure out:

- Do I care about baked maple? I prefer the looks of dark rosewood.

- Is 24 frets good or bad? Will it affect the balance? I hate neck-heavy guitars.

- Why is the '61 reissue $800 more than the Standard? They kinda seem the same to me.

etc, etc...

Good luck. My quest for the perfect SG took well over a year. But it was worth it!

Archived