Headway Riverhead Headless Guitar

PunkKitty

• Members

A friend of mine asked me to help her out a bit. She picked this up in a pawn shop for ~ $150. All it really needed was a good cleaning and a string replacement. But it's unusual enough that I thought you all might find it interesting.

I haven't been able to find much info on it. It's MIJ with a maple neck and an alder body. The pickups are custom to the guitar. The rings are part of the pickup. The pickups are sealed in epoxy. It's very well balanced. It sounds great and plays very nicely. It uses standard strings with the ball end at the headstock. The locking tuners are custom and very easy to use.

Why can't I seem to find pawnshop sleepers like this???

DSCF0247.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

• Members

Headway is a brand under the Deviser company. They currently are probably most famous for Bacchus, and Momose guitars. Everything I've come across recently show that Headway is their acoustic line. But it could be old and you never know if headway was bought out at some point earlier in it's life.

Regardless it's pretty rare to me and I follow MIJ guitars fairly closely. Hopefully Zenbu will pop in soon. He knows much more about MIJ than I do and he may have come across those riverhead guitars.

• Members
  • Members
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

It's interesting. I keep thinking that washburn or westone had a headless model like that at some point...but I can't remember. I do have a soft spot for headless guitars and I picked up a Steinberger spirit recently in MINT condition for $119 at my local Music Go Round. I couldn't believe it.

• Members
It's interesting. I keep thinking that washburn or westone had a headless model like that at some point...but I can't remember. I do have a soft spot for headless guitars and I picked up a Steinberger spirit recently in MINT condition for $119 at my local Music Go Round. I couldn't believe it.

That is a great deal. I would have bought it at that price.

• Members

I own three Steinbergers now. Love them, but some people can't get used to them , and they do tend to reset your positioning. My Zt3 came Thursday. Looking forward to the Trans trem. Never even heard of the Riverhead things. Very interesting. Are the tuners Steinbergers or knock offs or???

• Members

I`ve got old Japanese magazines with ads from Riverhead as early as 1982, the brand was around well before the Deviser group, same people as far as I know but they just grew I guess and started other brands under their umbrella...same goes for their Brian brand...I have pics of one model being offered in a raffle from the early`80s...I`ve seen MIK Brians but I don`t know if they were MIJ or MIK at that time This is one from the early/mid `80s, obviously cashing in on the Steinberger fad. In terms of quality, I used to see Riverheads that were identical to Bacchus models around at the same time only the Riverheads sold for less. Riverhead models show up on line now and then here in Japan, they changed models a lot over the years...some were precise clones of F/USA models,others, like this one, were not and they also made some original designs. Probably never sell for as much as Bacchus models but who knows, I would have never thought Bacchus models would catch on like they have either, I used to finf those for next to nothing but not anymore.

Archived