David Gilmour's steel guitar setup?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Gilmour's steel guitar setup?

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a lap steel guitar, but I don't think I'll be playing any Hawaiian/Cowboy music on it. Anyone know what Gilmour's set up is when he uses one? Tuning, etc?

Thanks,

Naughty Cyborg
    “Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives” John Stuart Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot
    View Post

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a lap steel guitar, but I don't think I'll be playing any Hawaiian/Cowboy music on it. Anyone know what Gilmour's set up is when he uses one? Tuning, etc?

Thanks,

Naughty Cyborg

Gilmour no longer uses equipment, he plays straight into the cosmos, and your soul hears what he wants you to
    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Gilmour used a Fender 1000 double neck PEDAL steel guitar on Dark Side of the Moon, not a lap steel... He used some sort of open g tuning and didn't use the pedals for some reason... IMHO, you are cheating yourself if you get a lap steel, when for a bit more you can get a pedal steel .. Matter of fact they now make top quality USA built 6 string pedal steels made for guitarists that want to expand their "tonal pallete".. used Maybe $500.. look at ebay or do a search under Fessenden Six Shooter... bob
      "If I wished for America's failure,I would have voted for Obama".-mauser

I am thrilled that you "kinda like me".. So do most dogs, and they eat **************** and bark at the moon-SPONGEBOB

Comment

Ha Bob from Candor. Man I answered so many of your CL ads only to be ignored by you! ROFL. Shame I would have bought about half that garage and all the old silvertone stuff you were selling. I remember one specific one with the amp in case just to jog your memory. Try answering your ads once in awhile, you might sell something.

However this man is delusional, a pedal costs over 1000$ for a decent one, you can have a lap for about 100$ 200 if you want something vintage. Gilmore has a custom made LAP STEEL based on an old Fender now. A rogue for 80$ is a good start,
        Originally Posted by csm

You get a limited-edition self-relic'ing guitar at no extra cost and you're COMPLAINING?

[Insert religious affiliation political party and or spiritual belief here]

57 Gibson Cg-530, 66 Teisco Mosrite "clone", 78 Rickenbacker something or other, 80's St. Blues, Classic Vibe 60's strat, Fender Blacktop HH strat, Switch Sig Stein, Switch Tele style, Austin SG, Yamaha something, lol.
        Vox Ampeg Peavey Hartke Bogen and Bugera amps, every tube pedal i can find. Muff. Loopers.

Comment

^The Fessenden looks like a cool idea, esp the stand up models. First I've heard of them.

But agree that OP could prob get a good taste with a $100 lap from MF or Rondo in open E or D.

Comment

Dont. Buy Fessenden. Unless you drop a mint.

Spend 1200$ and you get a real machine. It's not wiorth going under that price point, and pretty much any pedal steel can be had for $1000 vintage whatever.
            Originally Posted by csm

You get a limited-edition self-relic'ing guitar at no extra cost and you're COMPLAINING?

57 Gibson Cg-530, 66 Teisco Mosrite "clone", 78 Rickenbacker something or other, 80's St. Blues, Classic Vibe 60's strat, Fender Blacktop HH strat, Switch Sig Stein, Switch Tele style, Austin SG, Yamaha something, lol.
            Vox Ampeg Peavey Hartke Bogen and Bugera amps, every tube pedal i can find. Muff. Loopers.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai
              View Post

Ha Bob from Candor. Man I answered so many of your CL ads only to be ignored by you! ROFL. Shame I would have bought about half that garage and all the old silvertone stuff you were selling. I remember one specific one with the amp in case just to jog your memory. Try answering your ads once in awhile, you might sell something.

However this man is delusional, a pedal costs over 1000$ for a decent one, you can have a lap for about 100$ 200 if you want something vintage. Gilmore has a custom made LAP STEEL based on an old Fender now. A rogue for 80$ is a good start,

DSOTM was the double pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3CHT7rQQVc

he also has lap steels though.
              Rules for a Happy Life:
              Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
              I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.

Originally Posted by aenemated
              doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch.
              Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai
                View Post

And, like Doctor49 said, he used pedal steels, not lap steels. Go get the DVDs for PULSE and Delicate Sound of Thunder.
                Mazi Bee Militia!
                JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                PpP
                My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

Bobs been a running joke for a few friends for a while. None of us Have been able to track him down to buy. I'm sure he makes enough money on his gear to ignore me.

Please show me modern Gilmore using a pedal on video. I'm a fairly avid Floyd fan and steel player. I'm pretty sure id notice but please show me wrong.
                  Originally Posted by csm

Comment

TpAs I said he plays fender copies. 6 strings no pedals. Tunings listed.

http://www.davidgilmour.com/press/20...ist4_May06.pdf
                    Originally Posted by csm

Comment

If you aren't in a hurry, I'd take a whack at a diy lap. http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...-steel-guitar/

Also, don't forget the used section of guitar center online.

I bought one of these as well,but have not fitted it out yet.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...nsion_Nut.html
                      Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Yeah, for Gilmour-style slide playing, the pedal steel is really unnecessary. Combine it with a volume pedal if you'd like to cop some of that country-western vibe. Gilmour mainly used Open G and Open Em, and has used a wide variety of steel guitars.

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=69

Any cheap lap steel with a suitable pickup installed should do fine. With Gilmour, it's a matter of getting the phrasing right.
                        Originally Posted by jnurp

hearing brokenhymen or whatever they are called makes me appreciate one single note from BB king that much more.

Originally Posted by jrkirkish

Obama: "The partisan divide is killing this country"
                        Left side of the room: *Standing ovation*
                        Right side of the room: *silence*
                        Obama (later, alone and drinking): *facepalm*

Comment

Thanks a lot for the tips!
                          “Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives” John Stuart Mill.

Comment

While I'm sure he may have substituted pedal steels early in the studio, for Pulse and later I've always seen him use console lap steels (consoles are lap steels with attachable legs) like the old Fender Champ and Deluxe models. There are plenty of double-neck consoles available as well (you can get a vintage Supro double lap steel for as little as $400).

Comment

I've seen him play a Weissenborn live as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X