Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you play half step down notes change,, how do you play half step down?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you play half step down notes change,, how do you play half step down?

Do you have to relearn guitar to play half step down? I mean how do guitarists play standard and half step down back and forth? YES I'm a noob. Can someone enlighten me on this topic? I mean isn't it confusing the fact whole fretboard changes when you play down tuning?

E A D G B E becomes Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb... simple as that
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="blue">Proud Member of the<b> Jet Setters </b>(Jet City Lounge)</font></div>

Comment

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="blue">Proud Member of the<b> Jet Setters </b>(Jet City Lounge)</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker
        View Post

but if you change tuning... How do you play with other people? It's half step flatten.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker
          View Post

but if you change tuning... How do you play with other people? It's half step flatten.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by privatejoe
            View Post

Do you have to relearn guitar to play half step down? I mean how do guitarists play standard and half step down back and forth? YES I'm a noob. Can someone enlighten me on this topic? I mean isn't it confusing the fact whole fretboard changes when you play down tuning?

I think I get what you're saying.

Take a player like myself for example. I'm a "fair at best" IMHO guitar player, with little musical theory background. I don't sight read music notation (although I have worked on it before) but manly rely on tab. So for me, it's about the position not the note. If someone were a sight reader that mentally translated the musical notation to the actual notes, then I could see where that could be a bit of a conundrum and all notes would have to be played one step higher on the neck. I think for a lot of drop tuning players, they simply play the guitar. I occasionally will grab a baritone and try out a few songs (usually surf style) doing the same thing. Just using the same positions and then the tone is 5 steps down.

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
            HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
            Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
            I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

View Post

I think I get what you're saying.

Take a player like myself for example. I'm a "fair at best" IMHO guitar player, with little musical theory background. I don't sight read music notation (although I have worked on it before) but manly rely on tab. So for me, it's about the position not the note. If someone were a sight reader that mentally translated the musical notation to the actual notes, then I could see where that could be a bit of a conundrum and all notes would have to be played one step higher on the neck. I think for a lot of drop tuning players, they simply play the guitar. I occasionally will grab a baritone and try out a few songs (usually surf style) doing the same thing. Just using the same positions and then the tone is 5 steps down.

Comment

View Post

Most of the time the entire band / all the people jamming tune the same, so you don't really think about it. You just play as if tuned normally, it just sounds half a step lower.

It's often done to accommodate the singer, lower tunings than a half-note are mostly used for a "heavier" sound.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">My band, <a href="http://hardluckstreet.com" target="_blank">Hard Luck Street</a></div>

Comment

View Post

Most of the time the entire band / all the people jamming tune the same, so you don't really think about it. You just play as if tuned normally, it just sounds half a step lower.

It's often done to accommodate the singer, lower tunings than a half-note are mostly used for a "heavier" sound.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">My band, <a href="http://hardluckstreet.com" target="_blank">Hard Luck Street</a></div>

Comment

View Post

Think of it as the opposite of putting on a capo. I'd just translate the key for those accompanying my playing. (for example, if you had a keyboard player)

Comment

View Post

Think of it as the opposite of putting on a capo. I'd just translate the key for those accompanying my playing. (for example, if you had a keyboard player)

Comment

Don't think about notes. Think more about fingering patterns and positions.

If you're in the right key and you know the fingering pattern for the scale you want then you don't really care about what the notes are, unless of course you're tying to read a chart.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b><br />
                        <a href="http://www.voodoowing.com/" target="_blank">The Official Website of Voodoo Wing (Tribute Band)</a><br />
                        <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Voodoo-Wing-Tribute-Band/184762878248128" target="_blank">Voodoo Wing on Facebook</a><br />
                        <a href="http://www.fmbdown.com/burgess/" target="_blank">Some assorted recordings</a></b></font><b><br />
                        </b></div>

Comment

Don't think about notes. Think more about fingering patterns and positions.

If you're in the right key and you know the fingering pattern for the scale you want then you don't really care about what the notes are, unless of course you're tying to read a chart.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b><br />
                          <a href="http://www.voodoowing.com/" target="_blank">The Official Website of Voodoo Wing (Tribute Band)</a><br />
                          <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Voodoo-Wing-Tribute-Band/184762878248128" target="_blank">Voodoo Wing on Facebook</a><br />
                          <a href="http://www.fmbdown.com/burgess/" target="_blank">Some assorted recordings</a></b></font><b><br />
                          </b></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingV
                            View Post

.... so you don't really think about it. You just play as if tuned normally, it just sounds half a step lower.

That's essentially what I was trying to say in my fist post as well.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingV
                              View Post

.... so you don't really think about it. You just play as if tuned normally, it just sounds half a step lower.

That's essentially what I was trying to say in my fist post as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X