When you play half step down notes change,, how do you play half step down?

privatejoe

• Members

I mean isn't it confusing the fact whole fretboard changes when you play down tuning?

You can just think a half step higher. Instead of a tune being in E, you play it in F. Instead of a B, play a C. My wife tends to capo a lot when we do acoustic duo types of things so I have to transpose a lot. Half step, up a minor third, up a fourth... they're not that different it just takes some practice.

But adapting to those situations is all part of growing as a guitar player. But to allow musicians to do their best, IMO it should be left only for emergency situations (example: last minute vocalist change with a different singing range or something similar).

Yeah, totally agree. It's great to be able to do it, but practice and preparation is always preferred.

I have one guitar tuned down 1/2 step for convenience and variety. It's fun to play things in E on that guitar, because the voicings sound a little different.

• Members

I mean isn't it confusing the fact whole fretboard changes when you play down tuning?

You can just think a half step higher. Instead of a tune being in E, you play it in F. Instead of a B, play a C. My wife tends to capo a lot when we do acoustic duo types of things so I have to transpose a lot. Half step, up a minor third, up a fourth... they're not that different it just takes some practice.

But adapting to those situations is all part of growing as a guitar player. But to allow musicians to do their best, IMO it should be left only for emergency situations (example: last minute vocalist change with a different singing range or something similar).

Yeah, totally agree. It's great to be able to do it, but practice and preparation is always preferred.

I have one guitar tuned down 1/2 step for convenience and variety. It's fun to play things in E on that guitar, because the voicings sound a little different.

• Members

As I stated in your prior post about tuning 1/2 step down, both of my guitars (electric and acoustic) are tuned down 1/2 step. I did this when I started playing as I was learning a bunch of Alice in Chains songs (they play 1/2 step down or 1/2 step down with drop D). I play other songs with the same tuning. The chords are fretted the same but they sound deeper. The only people I play guitar with are my brother and my nephew. We all play 1/2 step down so there are no issues. I find that tuning standard E (?) tends to be too bright for me. I prefer the deeper tone of 1/2 step down.

IMO if you prefer to play 1/2 step down then do so. There is no need to re-learn chords ( as stated above in a prior post) and if you feel the need to tune standard then it is a quick change.

• Members

As I stated in your prior post about tuning 1/2 step down, both of my guitars (electric and acoustic) are tuned down 1/2 step. I did this when I started playing as I was learning a bunch of Alice in Chains songs (they play 1/2 step down or 1/2 step down with drop D). I play other songs with the same tuning. The chords are fretted the same but they sound deeper. The only people I play guitar with are my brother and my nephew. We all play 1/2 step down so there are no issues. I find that tuning standard E (?) tends to be too bright for me. I prefer the deeper tone of 1/2 step down.

IMO if you prefer to play 1/2 step down then do so. There is no need to re-learn chords ( as stated above in a prior post) and if you feel the need to tune standard then it is a quick change.

Archived