Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think about bolt-on 24.75" scale guitars?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both of my geetars have 24.75 scale
    There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

I have bolt-on 24.0" and 25.5". I don't see any reason why 24.75" wouldn't be good too. Probably a nice compromise.

I thought going back and forth was going to be a big deal but it really isn't.
      Signature is here!

Comment

Mmm, thinly veiled excuse to post pics...

1998 Godin SD

Guitar '98 Godin SD [SD Custom Custom @ bridge] / '98 Gordon-Smith GS1 Doublecut >> Vox AC15CC1

Norman B-20

Bass 2005 Warwick Corvette Std Active (Ash) >> SWR Workingman's 10

Comment

Yep, I dig. Very comfortable scale for me.

Comment

I like 'em.

Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

• twotimingpete
              twotimingpete commented
              Editing a comment

Neck joint type really makes no difference to playability or sound. Many times, on non-fenders, it's a sign of a budget made guitar (because outside of fender style guitars, it doesn't seem to be done much other than on really low end guitars), but in practical terms, the joint itself makes no difference.

meresing wrote:
              Neck joints? Set-necks = fuller tone, longer sustain.(unless you crank up a strat and drive your amp into a little distortion, youll notice the lesser sustain compared to a set-neck) Bolt-on = stronger attack, quicker decay, punchier, more percussive sound. Is one better than the other? No. Its a preference (personal),

This is the common wisdom we've all grown up with, I just don't find it to be true in any way. It's pure hype. If you think bolt on guitars sound punchier and more percussive it's likely because of the longer scale length that typically accompanies these guitar styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter
            View Post

I like 'em.

Is that a Hamer?

I think I might have assumed that a 24.75" bolt-on guitar would not be desirable because they're often the cheapest guitars, ie. entry-level Epiphones. The fact that more costly Epiphones (and certain other brands) have set necks kind of gives the impression that set necks are better for a 24.75" guitar, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by danswon
              View Post

Is that a Hamer?

I think I might have assumed that a 24.75" bolt-on guitar would not be desirable because they're often the cheapest guitars, ie. entry-level Epiphones. The fact that more costly Epiphones (and certain other brands) have set necks kind of gives the impression that set necks are better for a 24.75" guitar, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.

Interesting.

I have never much thought about the possibility of 24.75" bolt-on's being cheaper quality but that does some what make sense if you are looking into the cheaper epi's / gibson clones.

I really got into all the strat style 24.75" bolt-on's that were happening in the late 80's/90's that makers like Jackson/Charvel were making. Most of those guitars were not cheap though.
              GuitarHeads: http://www.guitarheads.orgSome of My Music: Scott Abene - Reverb Nation"Ich bin Jung und brauche das Geld"-Eko Fresh

Comment

I love me some bolt on 24.75" scale:

Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
                  Lulu Edition
                  Kindle Edition
                  iTunes iBookstore
                  Nook Edition

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MahaloVision
                    View Post

Never seen a Gibby like that before. What pickups are those? Single-coils?

Comment

View Post

Is that a Hamer?

Warmoth.
                      Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

View Post

Seems crazy to me that you have never seen a guitar like that yet have Paul Stanley Make up on... Paul played a Gibson Marauder for quite a while back in the day.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...0725-2012.aspx
                        GuitarHeads: http://www.guitarheads.orgSome of My Music: Scott Abene - Reverb Nation"Ich bin Jung und brauche das Geld"-Eko Fresh

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene
                          View Post

Seems crazy to me that you have never seen a guitar like that yet have Paul Stanley Make up on... Paul played a Gibson Marauder for quite a while back in the day.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...0725-2012.aspx

Wow no I didn't know that. Doesn't quite seem PS's style. I'm guessing they were manufactured in the late '70s

Comment

Paul was playing those guitars on the "Love Gun" tour when I saw them at MSG way back in the day...

The Marauder was introduced in 1974 but entered full production in 1975. Around 1,368 were made between 1975 and

Comment

View Post

As pointed out above, the pickups were single coils using a bar magnet or rail. There were two different wiring configurations, but this one has the following:

1) Neck and middle

2) Middle and Bridge

3) All three

4) Neck and Bridge out of phase

The toggle switch selects the Bridge pickup by itself. The knobs are volume and tone.

Positions 1 and 2 are similar to a Strat in positions 2 and 4, with the usual quack and can do a good job filling in Strat parts in most songs. Position 3 is just a bit stronger in output. Position 4 has a great semi-nasal quality. The bridge by itself does a passable Tele tone.

This particular guitar is a little different from other S-1's I've seen in that it has a maple body and maple fingerboard. It's a bit on the heavy side. The stock tuners are surprisingly awful, hence the TP-6 tailpiece I added on almost immediately after I got this back in '78. These did not sell well and don't have a lot of vintage guitar value, but it does garner complements on a regular basis.
                              SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
                              Lulu Edition
                              Kindle Edition
                              iTunes iBookstore
                              Nook Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X