What do people think about bolt-on 24.75" scale guitars?

danswon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene View Post
Seems crazy to me that you have never seen a guitar like that yet have Paul Stanley Make up on... Paul played a Gibson Marauder for quite a while back in the day.

gibson-Marauder76%5B1%5D.jpg

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...0725-2012.aspx
Wow no I didn't know that. Doesn't quite seem PS's style. I'm guessing they were manufactured in the late '70s

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danswon View Post
Never seen a Gibby like that before. What pickups are those? Single-coils?
As pointed out above, the pickups were single coils using a bar magnet or rail. There were two different wiring configurations, but this one has the following:

1) Neck and middle
2) Middle and Bridge
3) All three
4) Neck and Bridge out of phase

The toggle switch selects the Bridge pickup by itself. The knobs are volume and tone.

Positions 1 and 2 are similar to a Strat in positions 2 and 4, with the usual quack and can do a good job filling in Strat parts in most songs. Position 3 is just a bit stronger in output. Position 4 has a great semi-nasal quality. The bridge by itself does a passable Tele tone.

This particular guitar is a little different from other S-1's I've seen in that it has a maple body and maple fingerboard. It's a bit on the heavy side. The stock tuners are surprisingly awful, hence the TP-6 tailpiece I added on almost immediately after I got this back in '78. These did not sell well and don't have a lot of vintage guitar value, but it does garner complements on a regular basis.

• Members

I had one of these back in the 70s. Unique pickups designed by Bill Lawrence if I remember correctly. Good sounding guitar with quite a few usable tones.
Mine was picked up used for really cheap, had the typical Gibson broken headstock w/shitty repair syndrome so I wound up getting rid of it as soon as I could afford to get something "better".
gibson-marauder-273775.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danswon View Post
Interesting! I can't say it's my thing but each to their own. Is that a Lace Alumitone in the bridge? If so, what's that like?
VERY clean and quiet.. processed is the word that comes to my mind quickest.. slightly compressed or maybe just very "even" sounding.

they do have some rather interesting qualites.

The have awesome picking articulation, especially when played distorted. every note will be heard during quick passages,
and chord balance between notes is actually better than most standard pickups. you can hear every note within a chord very clearly.

the drawback is, they don't do that, firey, in your face, bluesly growl type sound. playing an SRV song would sound thin and weakish. they can't produce that "sting" at lower crunch levels.

but for a clean jazz tone, or a heavy distorted speed metal that needs an almost compressed evenness yet with excellent articulation between notes.. they shine like no other.
and one other strange detail.
there is very little difference between the single coil and the humbucker versions.. they sound VERY much the same, except for the position they are located in on the guitar..

• Members

Had a 24.75" Fender Stratosonic. Fantastic guitar, played great!

In my experience, scale length has more to do with tone than neck joint. I'd imagine a 24.75" scale all-mahogany bolt-on guitar wouldn't sound much different than set-neck guitar with the same specs.

Regardless, my first step with any 25.5" Fender is to get a 24.75" neck on it (for playability reasons. I'm currently loving a 22.7" Fender).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tommyld

View Post

Regardless, my first step with any 25.5" Fender is to get a 24.75" neck on it (for playability reasons. I'm currently loving a 22.7" Fender).

I had no idea I could even do that. Is that just a drop-in thing with a Warmoth neck?

• Members

I finally have a little time to respond to this thread. I'm a big fan of a shorter scale bolt-on. The two tele's below have Warmoth LP scale necks on them, I like the sound of a tele but I never feel like I can do my best lead work on the original scale tele neck. I can just tear it up better on a shorter LP scale neck. The last on is my Rick Kelly custom, I had Rick build it for me with the LP scale. When it comes down to it I can and do play any scale, I regularly use baritone and bass guitars, but when it comes to doing the most challenging stuff I'm more comfortable with the shorter scale.

As far as the sound goes, I'm sure it effects the sound of a guitar to use a shorter scale neck on it, but they all sound great to me:

telefenderneck3-1.jpg

92resized.jpg

chumleycaster1-1.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The only real difference your going to find in shorter or longer scale-length guitars (unless having 24 frets is important to you versus 22 or 21) is that in the shortere scale instruments, there is less string-tension... The longer the string, the higher the tension required to tune it to concert-pitch... Thats why you see most of your Blues players who bend a lot, using shorteer scale-length guitars (especially your acoustiv blues players). Also allows you to use heavier guage strings without string tension getting insane i.e., one reason why strats are a popular choice with and even more so with Les Pauls.

Archived