Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Cherry wood for guitar body

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The concept that because the wood grain expands and contracts oppositely it would keep the necks from warping.
    In practice, it's not totally necessary. Firebirds and various BC rich designs do well without it.

looks laminated to me. gibson usually laminates any non mahogany neck. maple especially, as it has a desire to twist.

you can do it any way you like - guitars often violate conventional wood joining wisdom - doesnt mean its best.

ric wasnt the first to laminate a neck either, i think its been done since the 1800's at least with classicals.

in any case, cherry should make a perfectly fine gutiar body. i dont know how stable it would be for necks.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">---<br />
    1959 is dead<br />
    <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2933739-5-years-fo-work-and-all-i-got-was-a-dark-blurry-picture....&amp;p=46436574#post46436574" target="_blank">http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4#post46436574</a><br />
    ---</div>

Comment

I like how there's more discussion about mills and their policies than the actual guitars...

It's called HCEG.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode"><font color="#DC143C"><font size="2">It stimulates, regenerates<br />
      It's therapeutic healing<br />
      It lifts our feet up off the ground<br />
      And blasts us through the ceiling<br />
      <br />
      <b>HEAVY METAL</b></font></font></font></div></div>

Comment

There are a lot of perfectly good hardwoods that aren't customarily used for guitars (e.g. walnut, myrtlewood, redwood, olive, etc.) because they aren't what Fender and Gibson used in 1950. Again, it goes to show how amazingly conservative (as a group) guitarists are. If everybody were like this, we'd all still be driving Model Ts and watching television on our 7" Motorolas...

Instead we're driving PT Cruisers and watching television on our 4" Iphones.

Comment

looks laminated to me. gibson usually laminates any non mahogany neck. maple especially, as it has a desire to twist.

you can do it any way you like - guitars often violate conventional wood joining wisdom - doesnt mean its best.

ric wasnt the first to laminate a neck either, i think its been done since the 1800's at least with classicals.

in any case, cherry should make a perfectly fine gutiar body. i dont know how stable it would be for necks.

They don't laminate the maple necks on the zakk wylde models.
          Fender made one-piece maple necks in the 50s that are still being played today, no lamination.

1979 BC rich, neck through, 1 piece neck.

I never said ricks were the first to laminate wood, just first to do it on neck throughs.

Comment

Actually the honor if neck-through goes to Les. For production it appears Rickenbacker beats B.C. Rich too.

Comment

Fender made one-piece maple necks in the 50s that are still being played today, no lamination.

1979 BC rich, neck through, 1 piece neck.

I never said ricks were the first to laminate wood, just first to do it on neck throughs.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode"><font color="#DC143C"><font size="2">It stimulates, regenerates<br />
              It's therapeutic healing<br />
              It lifts our feet up off the ground<br />
              And blasts us through the ceiling<br />
              <br />
              <b>HEAVY METAL</b></font></font></font></div></div>

Comment

Go for it be different dont just use mohagany.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">catdaddy</div>

Comment

Godin uses it on the 5th Avenue. Sounds good there.

EG

Another french canadian maker used it on acoustics: Norman's B-20 was cherry back, sides... and top. Later they change the top for spruce.
                  __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

I like how there's more discussion about mills and their policies than the actual guitars...

It's called HCEG.

Because the OP has a raw log and thinks he can just take it to a local mill and have it sawed.
                    They will not do it unless he can find a small mill like those 2 man mills.

Comment

Here is one that I had built years ago that had a cheery front and maple back. It had nice sized chambers inside so it's not too heavy or bright. Very pretty.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Winter is coming.</div>

Comment

Very nice, Lump!

What would you compare the tone to?

I like the notched jack input.
                        Reminds me of the old Yamaha RGX models.
                        www.heddatheband.com

Comment

Because the OP has a raw log and thinks he can just take it to a local mill and have it sawed.
                          They will not do it unless he can find a small mill like those 2 man mills.

OR DO RECLAIMED LUMBER.

Comment

looks laminated to me

as i said, you can do it any way you like, but laminates in necks have been fairly standard procedure for over a century.
                            1959 is dead<br />
                            <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2933739-5-years-fo-work-and-all-i-got-was-a-dark-blurry-picture....&amp;p=46436574#post46436574" target="_blank">http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4#post46436574</a><br />
                            ---</div>

Comment

Paul bigsby didn't laminate the necks on his solid maple neck/body 1 piece guitars.
                              As for the ZW the one i saw in person didn't seem laminated. I could be wrong.

Comment

Paul bigsby didn't laminate the necks on his solid maple neck/body 1 piece guitars.
                                As for the ZW the one i saw in person didn't seem laminated. I could be wrong.

and leo fender didnt use truss rods...

alot of builders do sketchy things.. sometimes they even work.

my only point is that laminated necks have been common for some time, and make for a neck less prone to warping if done correctly. thats all.
                                1959 is dead<br />
                                ---</div>

Comment

Working...
                                X