Cherry wood for guitar body

BeerBaron

• Members

They don't laminate the maple necks on the zakk wylde models.

Fender made one-piece maple necks in the 50s that are still being played today, no lamination.

p1_uxwrrvlf0_so.jpg
1979 BC rich, neck through, 1 piece neck.

I never said ricks were the first to laminate wood, just first to do it on neck throughs.

:love: :love: :love:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like how there's more discussion about mills and their policies than the actual guitars...
:rolleyes:

It's called HCEG.
:wave:

Because the OP has a raw log and thinks he can just take it to a local mill and have it sawed.

They will not do it unless he can find a small mill like those 2 man mills.

• Members

Paul bigsby didn't laminate the necks on his solid maple neck/body 1 piece guitars.

As for the ZW the one i saw in person didn't seem laminated. I could be wrong.

and leo fender didnt use truss rods...

alot of builders do sketchy things.. sometimes they even work.

my only point is that laminated necks have been common for some time, and make for a neck less prone to warping if done correctly. thats all.

• 3 years later...
  • Members
Spoiler
I just felled a nice cherry tree in Salem Oregon. Decided to cut some matched slabs to cure for guitar bodys and looked here to view comments. I've sawed in a mill for years. I've hit plenty of metal, insulators, and various items, including bee hives. I don't care where the wood comes from to mill it up. I plan to let it cure inside my shop for 4 years. I'll find a local luthier to guide me on my project.
Spoiler

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I think it could work well. As long as using small body. Like jackson dinky or SG shape with its thin body and neck dive prone mahogany body. Cherry Sg would prob balance just fine and be light enough to not be a hassle like some les pauls ect.  V body would prob be too heavy with cherry.

• Members

Radar-Love wrote:

Cherry was a semi-popular wood for bass bodies back in the '80s.

Properly kiln-dried cherry isn't too far from maple, as it's aggressive in the tone department and fairly heavy.

Darkstorm wrote:

V body would prob be too heavy with cherry.

A solid cherry V would be just like a solid maple V,  and would probably have been someone's dream guitar back in the '70s when everyone was being brainwashed with the idea that mass = sustain.  

Unless it had a chambered body, it would give you a permanent shoulder dent in no time.  Otherwise, with the right type of finish, it sure would look pretty.  :)

Archived