Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry wood for guitar body

My brother recently bought a house and there is a huge cherry tree I will be helping taking out. I was just curious to know if cherry wood would be good use for a guitar body? I'm looking to either do a V or an ML shaped guitar. It is big enough so that I would be able to get 1 solid piece and more if I wanted to do another guitar.

What's your take on cherry wood for a guitar? My Norman acoustic is made from all wild cherry. Sounds nice to me.
    "I bet Jaymz Hetfield gives out a loud bellowing "OH YEAH!!!" when he takes poo".

Heavey hard wood. Maybe you could cut some thin for a top or something. That's if there is any clear wood. Old fruit trees tend to rot on the inside.

Comment

Godin uses it on the 5th Avenue. Sounds good there.

EG
      We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

It makes a great neck.
        Also a nice body wood for acoustics.
        Love those Seagull wild cherry S6 acoustics.
        Dont see why it woudnt be a decent wood for a solid body as well.

Comment

"wild cherry" and youre typical american "cherry" are quite different i think. youre usual american cherry is not used much for guitar making, can't figure out why.

ed roman in his infinite intelligence made a double cut out of cherry, he said that it sounded very good, but no one bought it, so he had to clearance it out.

ive been wanting some figured cherry for some guitar tops for awile now.,
          HCAF's resident meathead.

Comment

I always wondered about the cherry solidbodies. Be sure to write here if you'll start doing it!
            It stimulates, regenerates
            It's therapeutic healing
            It lifts our feet up off the ground
            And blasts us through the ceiling

HEAVY METAL

Comment

Very similar to the Maples. It's heavy, but a nicely figured top plate of Cherry on a slab is a good place to start.
              SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
              Lulu Edition
              Kindle Edition
              iTunes iBookstore
              Nook Edition

Comment

Ken Brookes, who wrote "Guitar: An American Life" chronicles the building of his cherry acoustic. its a very cool story coupled with the social history and development of the instrument from about 1500.
                The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Don't forget to season the wood for a long long while. On the bright side, you'll have plenty of time to plan the build details.
                  Listen...

Comment

• Jkater
                    Jkater commented
                    Editing a comment

mrbrown49 wrote:
                    Don't forget to season the wood for a long long while. On the bright side, you'll have plenty of time to plan the build details.

Lol.Good one. Has even time to change his mind several times.

Is the house within city limits? If so you can forget about getting it milled. Mills don't take wood from cities because of the high chance of there being nails and other metal stuff in it.

Comment

seagulls are made with cherry.

Comment

Is the house within city limits? If so you can forget about getting it milled. Mills don't take wood from cities because of the high chance of there being nails and other metal stuff in it.

Good point. It's not the worth the risk to their milling tools.
                    Listen...

Comment

Good sub for Maple in the same application, but not a solid guitar unless you want it bright and heavy.

Comment

It would probably be bright with a a long sustain.

Comment

Yep, unless you find a place that will mill it and kiln dry it, don't plan on building anything for at least a year.

Comment

Working...
                          X