No announcement yet.

The Hamer Squad

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about BLING!

Nice one though.... I've always wondered about Hamer's China guitars. How the construction quality? How does it compare to some of the other guitars you have or that you have played?

It's on the light side, but feels very solid (not shure if the neck joint comes up to the USA model's build standards). One fret filed down too far, but the fret dress was under waranty. The body wood is mahogany (not shure how many pieces). The frets felt a little "gritty," and could have used a bit of finish buffing, but playng is waring them smoother.
    Those were the larger issues. On the whole, not bad at all. The pickups had to go, though they did get a useable tone in the store (very similar sound to the Squire Esprit which had the same set of Duncan Designed-59-ish/JB-ish).

The wiring, while neat, seemed to be wired in an "un-ergonomic" way with what seemed like a lot of extra wiring connections for ground. Hard to describe but it looked unusual.

The rest was changed by personal choice, though everything worked.

The tailpiece and bridge were a little light and the Tune-o-matic screw hold down wire was very flimsy. Replaced bridge and tailpiece with the Tone Pros System II. Had to have the bridge machined to fit original thumb screws (Tone Pros screws didn't fit the original import screw slugs). Mini pots (not CTS quality?), the toggle had a pretty short throw but was solid-(I replaced it with a SwitchCraft anyway for peace of mind). The tuners felt pretty solid, but were pretty low ratio so I replaced them with Sperzel locking tuners (Schallar locking would have fit w/o having to drill the lug holes for the Sperzels).

Very similar to my Chinese made Brian Moore i21 which is heavier and feels just a bit more substantial. Not on the same level with my late 60's ES-335, and the my Carvins are s bit more substantial, but still, it feels solid. I'll need to compare it with a Hamer USA Studio Custom to really tell the difference.

Brett

Comment

• Well, put me on the list! I just stole this one for $1550 after several years of waiting to spring for the right one.

Comment

• That is just BEAUTIFUL!
        Review!

beautiful except for the operating theater light ingrained on it
        2004 Dillion DR1500QX
        1990 Hamer Centaura
        1995 Squier 'Frankensquier' Strat
        2002 Takamine AN-45 w/ Fishman Matrix Active P/U
        198? Morris "Tornado" ZV
        Adrenalinn 2; Danelectro Daddy'O; Danelectro Cool Cat (thanks to tonemeister); Boss DD3; Boss PH1 (original version!)
        Gas list:
        Hamer Chapparal, Carvin DC127, Rickenbacker 650D, Fender HM, Gibson SG-X, Lakewood, ANY tube amp

The Hamer Squad
        Member of the Squier Army

Comment

• It's on the light side, but feels very solid (not shure if the neck joint comes up to the USA model's build standards). One fret filed down too far, but the fret dress was under waranty. The body wood is mahogany (not shure how many pieces). The frets felt a little "gritty," and could have used a bit of finish buffing, but playng is waring them smoother.
          Those were the larger issues. On the whole, not bad at all. The pickups had to go, though they did get a useable tone in the store (very similar sound to the Squire Esprit which had the same set of Duncan Designed-59-ish/JB-ish).

The wiring, while neat, seemed to be wired in an "un-ergonomic" way with what seemed like a lot of extra wiring connections for ground. Hard to describe but it looked unusual.

The rest was changed by personal choice, though everything worked.

The tailpiece and bridge were a little light and the Tune-o-matic screw hold down wire was very flimsy. Replaced bridge and tailpiece with the Tone Pros System II. Had to have the bridge machined to fit original thumb screws (Tone Pros screws didn't fit the original import screw slugs). Mini pots (not CTS quality?), the toggle had a pretty short throw but was solid-(I replaced it with a SwitchCraft anyway for peace of mind). The tuners felt pretty solid, but were pretty low ratio so I replaced them with Sperzel locking tuners (Schallar locking would have fit w/o having to drill the lug holes for the Sperzels).

Very similar to my Chinese made Brian Moore i21 which is heavier and feels just a bit more substantial. Not on the same level with my late 60's ES-335, and the my Carvins are s bit more substantial, but still, it feels solid. I'll need to compare it with a Hamer USA Studio Custom to really tell the difference.

Brett

Sounds like the basic the build quality is pretty good but some of the hardware would be a small(?) cause for worry to a seasoned guitarist eh? So a stock Chinese Hamer is pretty good eh?

Hmmm... maybe I should start suggesting these Chinese Hamers to some of my beginner students... should be pretty good on a budget eh?
          2004 Dillion DR1500QX
          1990 Hamer Centaura
          1995 Squier 'Frankensquier' Strat
          2002 Takamine AN-45 w/ Fishman Matrix Active P/U
          198? Morris "Tornado" ZV
          Adrenalinn 2; Danelectro Daddy'O; Danelectro Cool Cat (thanks to tonemeister); Boss DD3; Boss PH1 (original version!)
          Gas list:
          Hamer Chapparal, Carvin DC127, Rickenbacker 650D, Fender HM, Gibson SG-X, Lakewood, ANY tube amp

The Hamer Squad
          Member of the Squier Army

Comment

• Definitely think the import Hamers would make a great student guitar.

Really, the only issue I had with hardware was the tuner ratio which was low and rather imprecise. The good news is that the Schaller locking tuners would have been a direct drop in replacement, and I hear that they are 18:1 ratio.

The pickups were a bit dark, but not overly muffled, and workable.

I'm a "tweaker," so of course, everything stock had to go. . .
            Brett

Comment

• In the process of upgrading all the caps and resistors. Mallory 0.047

Comment

• I never really liked Explorers until now.
                BAND
                CRABCORE
                e-peen:

G&L ASAT Classic
                Fender American Roadhouse Strat
                ESP Hybrid II
                Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage II
                Orange PPC412

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

That thing tickling your throat? It's my cock in your mouth, suck it. Suck it good.

Comment

• I had an early 90's USA made Daytona in a Sunburst finish with a maple fretboard and pearloid pickguard. It had the Sperzal locking tuners, and Wilkinson tremolo. I sold it back in 2003 to fund another hobby, and I have regreted it ever since.

I'm always on the lookout for another one though! *hint*
                  Nick

Gibson Les Paul Studio
                  Bacchus Jazz Bass
                  No amp at the moment, just a PODXT

Comment

• Here's my 97 Artist Custom in 59 Burst....

I also have a 93 Special w/ P90's and a 96 FM special natural.

All are killer guitars!!

/end thread

but seriously.. beauty guitar dude!
                    Current Rig
                    Fender Deluxe American Strat Olympic White Pearl
                    BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
                    EHX Electric Mistress
                    BBE Green Screamer
                    BOSS DS-1 Distortion
                    BOSS DD-20 Giga Delay
                    BOSS RC-2 Loop Station
                    Traynor TCY80Q Amp

Acoustic: Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry w/ Elixr Bronze strings

Influences:
                    John Mayer
                    Jimmy Page
                    Mr. Hendrix
                    Eric Johnson
                    Eric Clapton

Comment

• The funny thing on Hamer here in Europe is that the new ones are very expensive, but the really early ones are very affordable.

The 4-digit and the 78 sunburst (the bound & crowned) were even brought to my place to test, and I got them for half the going price in the States. Nobody seems to want Hamers over here. Best deal I did was this '81 prototype with sustainblock for 350

Check out my band These Mountains Are Ghosts
                      Become a fan of us on FriendFace! http://www.facebook.com/thesemountainsareghosts

GOOD DEALS WITH : Let It Burn... x2, Kayzer x2

Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

You're on the internet dude. don't try to think rationally about why you don't like something. Just talk condescending to everybody about it, and later that night stroke your dick while wimpering "meh, meh, meh, meh, I don't get it, meh meh meh, this similar but less popular artist is better, meh meh meh"

Comment

• You know those import Hamers?

umm. . . they reproduce. . .

bought this morning on ebay ($250.00 w/case)

no matter what kind of day it is, NGD is a good day!

Brett

Comment

• I personally believe that the Hamer imports are about the best imports on the market, the import I play as my beater is fantastic the pups and workmanship is amazing..

Comment

• Nice F/T!

Comment

• only had it about 3 days and had to break it in the right way

http://i10.tinypic.com/6gbq3w7.jpg

Comment

• Im in..

Hamer Standard

MY MUSIC! Cosmonaut Cabrera

Current gear: FV Stevens electric (Manilas finest!), Fender Mustang 1, Line6 pocket pod and an Ibanez nylon string acoustic/electric

2/23/2010 - Never Forget

Comment

• Working...
                                  X