No announcement yet.

Garage rock sound?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage rock sound?

Hey, i don't know a hell of a lot about guitars so i was wondering what you guys had any suggestions as to how to gain that garage rock-esc sound. I really like the sound of The Libertines records, but also The Stone Roses and British blues type stuff. After having to return my father's borrowed equipment i was forced into getting my own stuff, luckily i got really i got some good deals. I payed a total of $600 for a 70's 100 wt Fender Frontman AND a 70's Ovation Viper III (100 for amp 500 for guitar). Is that the right type of stuff for that sound? What kind of pedals should i get? I might be able to post pics if you want.

I think our definitions of Garage are very different. I think of Garage and I think of bands like The Sonics, The Trashmen, Treblemakers, The Mummies etc... It's probably not much help, but maybe it will bump this thread enough for someone with an idea of what in the hell you're talking about chime in. Welcome to HCEG.
    -=RIP "Norton"=-

Comment

I think any evil old lo-fi amp, and any guitar will work, the more unique the better.
      Although, I can't say I'd ever want the Libertines sound..........
      "Facto Non Verba"

Here's my music

Comment

Check out The Inmates... my new fav band from the past.

Comment

buy a no-name guitar & amp from a pawn shop, the older the better - go into your garage, turn it up really loud, and record it with a cassette player.
          My Original Music:
          Goetic Circle
          Ashes of the Magician
          UNDEAD PRIEST
          In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

Ya actually your right, the stuff i mentioned wasn't garage rock at all lol, besides myabe the Libertines but they're more revival garage anyway. I'm clearly having trouble expressing what i want, but ya it is a stupid post because the Stone Roses are clearly not garage, more britpop i geuss. I almost wish you hadn't bumped it i'm kind of ashamed now lol, but thanks for the sentiment. I guess a sort of chimey, bright, unpolished sound? I was looking at some Danelectro pedals since i only have about $40, specifically this one:
            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DJ2-TBone-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151861
            Sounds like a good start, anybody have experience with it? This whole things just a shot in the dark for me, again, im really not experienced with electric guitar stuff.

Comment

buy a no-name guitar & amp from a pawn shop, the older the better - go into your garage, turn it up really loud, and record it with a cassette player.
              You realize, I hope, that this is not really jokey advice? It's close to the truth. (I am speaking to the OP, not to BOL)

To me, there are five elements to decent garage sound:
              1) A smaller amp, rather than larger
              2) A PA barely up to the task. Enough, but just.
              3) cheaper equipment, rather than more expensive
              4) decent musicianship
              5) An uncomplicated, unproduced approach. Think "just do it," instead of "take five." Everything is "take one."
              This Avatar space is available for $60/year. (That's just $5/month!!) Put the Internet to work for YOUR business or product! Your message will be seen by 85 million consumers DAILY.

("Daily" measure is actually an average of several peak periods and is not representative of a statistically significant or recurring day. Some users of HCEG may not have avatar display activated. Images rotate. Credit card required for automatic annual billing in advance. Minimum 25 year commitment.)

Comment

Check out The Inmates... my new fav band from the past.

Wow, just checked them out on youtube, I genuinely enjoyed it, thanks man! Never would have found them otherwise.

Ya i definintly know what your saying about the cheap equipment, but i don't really want to blow my cash on that right now. I'm pretty sure my ovation can get that kind of sound if i just experiment with it a little. I also need to get my amps' pots cleaned because a lot of the controls don't work from sitting in a garage for 20 years. But the next time i'm at the pawn shop i'll defintly see what they have. I'm guessing something like those weird guitars they'd sell in department store catalogs in the 60's would be ideal. Like a Tiesco.

Comment

A Les Paul Junior or Special with P-90's or a tele, plugged straight into an amp turned up loud. If the amp has a midrange control turn that up a bit. Play kind of sloppy with a good rhythm hand.
                  http://www.myspace.com/399453211

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=276061

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nails

Comment

A Les Paul Junior or Special with P-90's or a tele, plugged straight into an amp turned up loud. If the amp has a midrange control turn that up a bit. Play kind of sloppy with a good rhythm hand.

Definitely a guitar with single coils. Either P-90's, lipsticks, Fender-type, or something more exotic. As an example of the latter, I have an import Gretsch Electromatic that has DeArmond singlecoil pickups I found on ebay for $235 USD:

Or here's something more obscure, a Brownsville with 3 alnico single-coil toastertops:

Visit Crash Pad at:
                    http://CrashPadBand.com
                    CONSUME!:
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
                    Gear List/Pics:
                    https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

Single coils for sure, and a smaller low-gain amp that sounds raunchy cranked. Could even be solid state. Reverb and Tremolo maybe.
                      I am a BIG fan of the Mosrite Fuzzrite fuzz for American garage rock sounds, but if you can't build one or find a clone, look for the DOD Flashback or maybe an EH Double Muff--just use the single muff setting.
                      Think buzzy and spattery, not thick and creamy, ie Big Muff territory.

PS the Stone Roses guitarist (John Squier) used a Gretsch Tenesseean and a Fender Twin with some chorus and flange, I think. Not really garage but ass-kicking good.
                      Member of the SG Army and the G&L Militia
                      The Bassmen - Proud Fender Bassman Players

Comment

Single coils for sure, and a smaller low-gain amp that sounds raunchy cranked. Could even be solid state. Reverb and Tremolo maybe.
                        I am a BIG fan of the Mosrite Fuzzrite fuzz for American garage rock sounds, but if you can't build one or find a clone, look for the DOD Flashback or maybe an EH Double Muff--just use the single muff setting.
                        Think buzzy and spattery, not thick and creamy, ie Big Muff territory.

PS the Stone Roses guitarist (John Squier) used a Gretsch Tenesseean and a Fender Twin with some chorus and flange, I think. Not really garage but ass-kicking good.
                        Member of the SG Army and the G&L Militia
                        The Bassmen - Proud Fender Bassman Players

Comment

P90s would give it that dirty sound Garage rock is known for...as for amps...take your pick of low end fun...I think an Epi VJ cranked ALL THE WAY should give you some nice tone, or if you'd like, one of those cheap Marshall solid state boxes should give you some nice distorted tone.

I was under the impression that the garage rock sound was supposed to be...unpredictable, though...not something you strive to reproduce, but something you build upon and make your own. In my opinion, going into a pawn shop and picking up the cheapest amp in there with a low end strat-o-clone would give you just as good a "garage rock" tone as a MIM Fender Strat and a Fender Super Champ XD
                          Proud Member of the Epiphone Empire!

Originally Posted by aenemated

if i wanted a daisy rock with **************************** care bears and rainbow brite on it, i'd ****************ing well have it and rock it out like a mother****************er.

Originally Posted by adlo76

maybe the customer service agent didn't speak douchebagenese

YOUR ≠ YOU'RE

Comment

Plug in and don't give a ****************
                            Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

I guess a sort of chimey, bright, unpolished sound?

I'm not sure whether you're talking about a Britpop sound or a garage sound, but if you're after a britpop sound, that sound comes mainly from the amp IMO, Marshall reissues like Graham Coxon from Blur uses will definitely do the job, but they're kind of pricey.

Comment

Working...
                              X