Can anyone identify this pedal?

Stratoron

• Members

I got several pedals from a pro player who was culling his gear. Among them was this overdrive pedal with no identifying markings whatsoever...other than the psychedelic paint scheme. The guy I got it from was having a brain fart and could not remember the builders name, but said that it's a boutique pedal and hard to come by. I don't know about that, but I like the pedal a lot and would like to find out what it is. Any ideas? Thanks!

4ea9a7989e3b3bf66ca7f4eed5add59c.thumb.jpeg.8800a983d30e0ca9cbd23df9cfe3a4f8.jpeg

• Members

Looks like any number of EBay kits coming out of China. The knobs are a giveaway. Joyo even uses them. It may have been built and resold by someone who built them and added they're own paint job or some cloner who bought the parts from the same source. Looking at the boards solder joints will tell you if it was wave soldered or manually soldered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Fuzz-eff...YAAOSw-YVXnb0D

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a photo of the inside. Again no markings..only a goop glob and a severely out of date(but somehow still functioning) 9 volt.

Gooped. Hard to tell what the circuit is with all the goop. :(

Are there any markings or writing on the inside of the bottom cover plate?

• Members

Ahh, it's gooped. They don't want you to know what it is. :) I noticed they sanded the markings off the chip too, that's pretty standard with a gooped pedal. A single-chip , 3 knob OD pedal could be a Tubescreamer, a RAT or modded version of those. Or it could be an original design, but most boutique ODs are tweaked/tuned versions of commercial pedals.

What it is and who made it are really only important if you're trying to sell it.

• Members

You can see similarities here, the plastic washer for the switch, same knobs and switch. Other then the knob and switch placement its easy to sand and repaint a pedal and use some epoxy on the board to hide who made it. Building them like I said is simple too. Most of the kit sellers sell the exact same kits with the same components and boards. Yours was likely built from a kit. All of the visible components are the same and they simply used the epoxy to hide what it was. Guitar gadgets has several types of drive pedals. You may want to go there and see if you can match your's up to the list of units being sold. http://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits.html

fetch?filedataid=123223

Archived