Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought they looked great in sonic blue.
    —-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, friend.

Comment

I like mine. The necks are great on them and I like the Mustang bridge. It the radius makes it difficult to use an ebow.
      RoboPimp: yup, part of growing up is abandoning any hopes and dreams and giving up on anything that you feel passionate about or makes you happy. then comes years of waiting for sweet death.

Comment

I don't think Cobain was even that happy with how they turned out.

He wasn't. It doesn't even vaguely resemble his notes/drawings/pictures on it.

Comment

I've played a really awesome Fiesta Red Jagstang. And I've played a pretty terrible blue one.
          I think they look nice.
          http://rosecassidy.bandcamp.com

Comment

He wasn't. It doesn't even vaguely resemble his notes/drawings/pictures on it.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I'd pick one up if I could get it cheap, but $600 is way too much dough; esp right now; it seems to be a buyers market right now...
              Originally Posted by marc758

There is something about a gold top.

The Bassmen - Proud Fender Bassman Players
              My old band: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/dragstripriot
              Gibson Les Paul junior/'67 Fender Bassman/Marshall JCM800 cab
              '91 MIJ fender p bass/'68 Kustom K100/2 15" Marshall JCM800 bass cabs

Comment

OK, maybe vaguely:

But seriously, what happened? He wanted the top half to look like a Jag, and the bottom to look like a Mustang. I think they took his poor drawings a bit too literally. First picture looks kinda hot, especially if they would've went with the Jag trem.

Same designer as the Firebird X, maybe?

Comment

No, it's really pretty much his design, the way he shaped it. They have (or at least had) a bunch of the Jagstang development stuff (including that first drawing / mockup I posted) on display at the Fender Museum in Corona. The fiesta red prototype was over there, along with all Kurt's drawings, his cardboard full-sized mockups, etc. I have not been over there in a while, and they constantly update the place, so it might not still be up.

I don't think it turned out as well as he had hoped it would. Maybe he would have gotten the kinks worked out, or they could have refined the design more had he lived, but I don't think he was totally satisfied with it. Whether that dissatisfaction was partially aesthetically related, I have no idea.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

No, it's really pretty much his design, the way he shaped it. They have (or at least had) a bunch of the Jagstang development stuff (including that first drawing / mockup I posted) on display at the Fender Museum in Corona. The fiesta red prototype was over there, along with all Kurt's drawings, his cardboard full-sized mockups, etc. I have not been over there in a while, and they constantly update the place, so it might not still be up.

I don't think it turned out as well as he had hoped it would. Maybe he would have gotten the kinks worked out, or they could have refined the design more had he lived, but I don't think he was totally satisfied with it. Whether that dissatisfaction was partially aesthetically related, I have no idea.

I have to head over there one day and do the tour. Did they have the pictures I posted as well?

I think you're right, it was just incredibly unrefined. I read that one of his biggest problems with it was that it had no belly cut or forearm cut. Unfortunately he died, and they released what seems like a prototype to the unsuspecting masses.

That upper horn and the misshapen butt just kill me.

Comment

I used to own a Sonic Blue one, a 1995 one as I recall.

I loved the way it looked but could never get on with how bassy and wooly the bridge pickup was. It sounded really crap and undefined which surprised me seeing as Cobains sounds were definitely more edgy.

Trying everything to correct it - slapped in a variety of replacements, straightened the bridge pickup route to line up the strings under the polepieces, replaced pots with 1megs, even bypassed the pots - still couldn't get the attack and brightness I wanted.

Eventually sold it at a loss after all the worked I'd done and got a Jaguar, then a Mustang. Never looked back.
                      MadeByMike.co.uk - Handmade Pedals and Custom Builds
                      Like MBM Pedals on Facebook - - - Follow us on Twitter
                      My Demo Videos - Guitars: Fender, Epiphone || Amps: Marshall/Orange || Pedals: Boss, Danelectro, EHX, Line 6, Marshall, Proco

Comment

Of all The Kurt Cobain guitars, the basic Mustangs that Fender just released are probably my favorites. I don't like the extra goodies on the Cobain Jaguar, and I think my opinion on the Jagstang is clear now.

Still, I think I'd rather have my little seafoam green guitar more than any other. I just love that Duo Sonic. I like my compstang a lot too though, and I definitely want a Jaguar...

- George Carlin

Comment

I've played one of those and it felt very close to my 70s Comp Stang, it's a good option.

I also owned a 65 RI at one point which was a superb guitar. They cost a lot though, these days. I think a 65RI Mustang or Cobain Mustang are around
                          MadeByMike.co.uk - Handmade Pedals and Custom Builds
                          Like MBM Pedals on Facebook - - - Follow us on Twitter
                          My Demo Videos - Guitars: Fender, Epiphone || Amps: Marshall/Orange || Pedals: Boss, Danelectro, EHX, Line 6, Marshall, Proco

Comment

The basic Cobain Mustang is $949.99 in the US

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-kurt-cobain-signature-mustang-electric-guitar

I was about to say that the '65 Mustang is $939 (which they recently were), but it appears they've dropped a bit on price - they're now $889.99

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-65-mustang-reissue-electric-guitar

- George Carlin

Comment

Got bored and photoshopped my own Jaguar Mustang mash up.

Surprising how similar the bodies look if you put the hardware of one on the other.
                              Originally Posted by RoboPimp

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

I owned a jagstang (the orginal issue '95 or whatever). I hated, more so then any guitar I've owned. Sold it for a martin best trade up ever.
                                Originally Posted by Naterel "All bands suck period"

Comment

Working...
                                X