X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Distortion

Does anyone now how to create a distortion effect without any crunchy sound at all. It sounds funny, but I guess I'm referring to a kinda clean distortion effect. No crunch, but still a lot of gain to be able to easily play artificial harmonics and do tapping.

I've been playing around with the switches on my Fender Mustang III, and I can't seem to get it. 

To take out the crunchy, fizzy annoying sound I have to turn down the gain. But than I don't have enough gain. Also, I lower the highs a bit, but still I can't find it. I would like it to sound for example like the distortion guitar in almost any Ozzy Osbourne song. Most of the time, you hear no crunchy sound. And I know I can't really have the same sound, because I don't have their gear, but at least something close to it.

Can anyone tell me what's the secret, if there is one? Thanks.

Sounds like what you're looking is an overdrive pedal, or at least something that emulates the tone of a cranked JTM45 or whatever Marshall amp Randy Rhodes used

A 'distortion' is usually supposed to be somewhat fizzy and hairy. 

A 'hot' loud tube amp  + booster or some tight low gain od pedlol might do the trick. 

No idea how to get there with your lil modeling amp though, sorry:s

I'm sure there's pedals out there that might get you close, but I'm also pretty sure that a ton of volume is the key to that tight/hot/juicy overdrive tone.

I'm also not sure what gear Ozzy's guitarist exactly uses, but if you'd look that up it might give you some insight I guess...

Comment

• TomVanDeven
      TomVanDeven commented
      Editing a comment

You pretty much need dark speakers and run pedals that aren't designed to clip via diodes to get that sound.

1. Drop the Fender Mustang

2. Grab a Fender Bassman head and run it into a 2x12 with two Cannibas Rex speakers

3. Run a Emma PisdiYAUwot/Bogner Uberschall pedal into the front end. Then you'll get something similar to this:

(skip to 1:25)

(or 2:25 here)

A combination of these factors plus some clever EQing, and you'll be laughing in the face of fizz. Enjoy. 

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">
    <div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

nicknamer24 wrote:

... I guess I'm referring to a kinda clean distortion effect. No crunch, but still a lot of gain to be able to easily play artificial harmonics and do tapping.

I would try a compressor pedal, and possibly a compressor and a 'light' overdrive like a tubescreamer.  Here's a demo that sort of explains what a compressor does. 

This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

• Ancient Mariner
        Ancient Mariner commented
        Editing a comment
        Several different directions you might go. A compressor will make the guitar behave like there's a lot of gain without the crunch. If you want a high-gain sound that's smooth like some of the Santana type tones then look at boogie solo models. Also try something like the Joyo California pedal.
    Working...
    X