The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do you guys keep posting that?

the pain!!... the pain of it all!!

i may go and work in France for a couple months soon... if i get employed long enough, i'll buy a GT1 halfstack myself but i'll ask them to do it with reverb and footswitchable gain
    "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

"play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

"Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist
      View Post

why do you guys keep posting that?

the pain!!... the pain of it all!!

i may go and work in France for a couple months soon... if i get employed long enough, i'll buy a GT1 halfstack myself but i'll ask them to do it with reverb and footswitchable gain

Because i want my DREAM Rig with-in the next 4 years.

Gretsch Malcom Young sig --> pedals in my sig --> ABC switcher --> AB165 50W Bassman / Electric Amp MVU / Matamp GT1

Gibson SG Faded (w. SD A2P's)
      60's Classic Series Tele (w. Bareknuckle Flatt '50s)
      Ibanez Artcore AG75 (w. TV Jones TV-HT's)
      Gibson LP Jr. Special (w. Phil X PX-100)
      Tokai LS92 (w. SD WLH set)
      Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
      1966 Bassman / Thunderverb 50 / block letter 5150 / Marshall Class5

Good deals with : Pepperduck, TylerDurden24, iualum, hangwire, friction, Dr.Picklebottom, dmbluesguy, Mr JinX , dhouser3 & The Riffer.

Comment

• that would be sick.

i'd be happy with the Matamp
        "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

Comment

• I miss my GT1 half stack

It was way too loud and way too cumbersome for what I need but the sounds and looks were
          Originally Posted by Tom Fucherheigen

He is an adult now, but he is a child in the trousers.

Originally Posted by clay sails

This is essentially the same as married life, except that when you get married you share space with someone who washes your cum socks.

Comment

• How does the Thunder 30 compare? Can it cop anything similar to the Matamp's heavy cleans or fuzzy drive? I realize that this is extremely wishful thinking on my part...
            Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by t-rey
              View Post

How does the Thunder 30 compare? Can it cop anything similar to the Matamp's heavy cleans or fuzzy drive? I realize that this is extremely wishful thinking on my part...

Yes it has some of those heavy clean sounds but the drive section is hellishly more easy to saturate than the Matamp. You could play the Orange on the drive channel with no pedals to push it and get a very satisfactory heavy doom toan.
              Originally Posted by Tom Fucherheigen

He is an adult now, but he is a child in the trousers.

Originally Posted by clay sails

This is essentially the same as married life, except that when you get married you share space with someone who washes your cum socks.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Expressway to yr Skull
                View Post

Yes it has some of those heavy clean sounds but the drive section is hellishly more easy to saturate than the Matamp. You could play the Orange on the drive channel with no pedals to push it and get a very satisfactory heavy doom toan.

This is no longer a matter of want. I ****************ing NEED a TH30.
                Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

• I have a Matmap GT1 that I cherish dearly.

It's really loud and massive sounding.....but not as loud as some of the 100w Marshally type amps I've played.

I would imagine the mid content of the Marshally type amps make them appear to be louder.....and the lack of low end doesn't suck up as much power.

After playing with tones and textures for a while now.....

The amp is important.....but to me, god can be found in any cranked amp and the right fuzz pedal.
                  good deals with: nearly everyone.
                  Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING
                    View Post

After playing with tones and textures for a while now.....

The amp is important.....but to me, god can be found in any cranked amp and the right fuzz pedal.

agreed.

but what i love so much about the Matamps is that they sound amazing both clean and fuzzed out~.

plus they're all handmade and, in Europe, they're really not that expensive. 1000

Comment

View Post

agreed.

but what i love so much about the Matamps is that they sound amazing both clean and fuzzed out~.

plus they're all handmade and, in Europe, they're really not that expensive. 1000

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING
                        View Post

I wouldn't give up my Matamp for anything.

It's definitely a different beast....but not absolutely necessary for stoner doom stuff. I suppose that was my point.

Do you think that's why Matamp went the low wattage route recently?

Try to shed some of that "sludge only" tone rubber stamp?

Or were the 120w massive amps just not selling anymore?

probably. there's alot more market request for that each day.............. pussies ..... and a company's gotta stay in business.

i think it would take more than that to break out of the "doom amp" label though, because Matamps are such an icon of the stoner music culture.

Comment

• I did this clip with a guitar directly into the GT1. two tracks with the GT1 at various settings, and the backing track.

(it would be hard to get that dirty tone with anything else (eats my own words))

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8698536

Comment

• i remember that clips. holy grail of a tone man.

Comment

View Post

that would be sick.

i'd be happy with the Matamp

thanx . . . like i said, my DREAM RIG !

Quote Originally Posted by Expressway to yr Skull
                              View Post

I miss my GT1 half stack

It was way too loud and way too cumbersome for what I need but the sounds and looks were

Why did you sell it, if it has a Gain/Master Vol knob ?

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey
                              View Post

How does the Thunder 30 compare? Can it cop anything similar to the Matamp's heavy cleans or fuzzy drive? I realize that this is extremely wishful thinking on my part...

IMHO, NOTHING out there sounds like a Matamp GT1 or Electric. Except the early 70's Orange OR 80 & 120's.

The closest that a modern Orange comes to the GT1, is the Custom Shop Retro 50. But it is way MORE than a GT1 * add face palm here *

If you want a GT1 tone, nothing will do, except a GT1 . . . all imho

Gibson SG Faded (w. SD A2P's)
                              60's Classic Series Tele (w. Bareknuckle Flatt '50s)
                              Ibanez Artcore AG75 (w. TV Jones TV-HT's)
                              Gibson LP Jr. Special (w. Phil X PX-100)
                              Tokai LS92 (w. SD WLH set)
                              Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
                              1966 Bassman / Thunderverb 50 / block letter 5150 / Marshall Class5

Good deals with : Pepperduck, TylerDurden24, iualum, hangwire, friction, Dr.Picklebottom, dmbluesguy, Mr JinX , dhouser3 & The Riffer.

Comment

View Post

i remember that clips. holy grail of a tone man.

...and that's just one take....one mic...in my basement.

In a studio, I don't think I can fathom how good it would sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X