Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCD!! - White Box Engineering 212 cab!

Lookie what showed up this afternoon!

Here's what I think so far:

I wasn't a fan of the legend speakers so I swapped a pair of V30's in and liked those better so that's what is in the cab now.

It's fatter sounding than the port city but the upper end presence that the port city has isn't there in the WB. not to say the WB isn't a cutting or clear cab. It is. It's just got more beef to it.

The beefy low end is nice and clear and clean. Not muddy at ALL. I thought with the JCA's big thick lower midrange that it would be overpowring but it's not. The V30's stay nice and clean.

With the cab fully closed back, it sort of reminds me of an orange 212. It's not as stuffy or boxy/beamy as a mesa 212 and not as loose as a bogner OS212.

After playing around with it closed back, partially open and half open (both bottom pieces removed) I found it sounds the best, at least for now in this room, with both bottom parts removed. So it's technically half open back.

The sound is much more filling as far as the spread through the room and there's no loss of tightness or composure. I had it louder than what I typically use as stage volume and everything was clean as could be. I used the JCA 100HDM for all my initial testing and it sounds AWESOME. All the amps do to be honest but again... it was only after I put the V30's in. Those legends just rubbed my ears the wrong way...

BUILD QUALITY

So far I'm impressed with the build quality. Everything is 3/4" plywood. Corners are re-enforced with a strip of 3/4" plywood, tolex appears to be virtually identical to the stuff Mesa uses, good quality screws rear mounting the speakers with T-nuts stuck into the front of the baffle for the screws so they're not mounting in the bare wood (CARVIN!! ) It's 19x29x13 inches in size and it's about 66 lbs so it's not a lightweight.

So that's my initial review of this thing. We have a week or so before our next show so I've got more time with it here at the house before it hits the stage for it's real test. Till then, I'll do some videos and I've got a few sound clips just messing around with it.

It's obviously fairly difficult to accurately capture the essence of a cab with a mic. I can give you what the speaker sound like but actually portraying what the sound in the room sounds like is fairly difficult. So far, I'm playing with room mic positioning and have found a decent spot I think for the CK1 and doing a 70/30 blend with 70% of the mix the room mic and the other 30% direct mic with the Apex205.

I haven't got any "real" recordings done of it yet. Just a couple of clips of me noodling around.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/88-whitebox1.mp3

That one was done with the JP6 and no room mic'ing at all. just the speaker and a little reverb in the loop.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/2-Whitebox_LongTest.mp3

The long test, I didn't actually intend on uploading but it turned out ok so I figured why not. I used the Tokai for this one and went through the clean channel with some FX from the nova system then to a mild gain (9 o'clock) on the lead channel then bumped it up bit by bit.

No boost used on any of the clips.

I also dusted off the Carvin C66 and did a video doing improv to "blue on black" using the neck pickup split coil, fairly low gain on the amp and the CM2 boosting occasionally.

Plenty more to come this weekend!

My final thought for now though is that it's every bit as good as the $700~$800+ 212's on the market. I think it (personally) sounds better than the mesa open back lonestar 212 and the smaller closed back 212.

I've only heard a splawn 212 very briefly but as much as we hype those as well, I think that this is on par with it too.

So so far, this is shaping up to be a real major player in the lots of tone for not a lot of $$ cab. I see it similar to how splawn builds their stuff in house and sells without the retailer's mark up. Only Doug is offering any eminence speaker and a few different celestions? So far, it looks good. We'll see what I come up with this weekend and if I have time, I'm going to take it to our local boutique store with the bogner, engl and diezel stuff to see what it does vs those.

And you can't un-see the Pringles mustache in the logo
    Guitars
    Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
    Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Wow man, that looks like it's built really well. The open/closed back option is nice. I don't like legends either. So...what are these going for price wise?

Thanks for the review.
    ORANGE CONGLOMERATE
    VTM VANDALS

Originally Posted by cobrahead1030

Gibsons are like that crazy ex gf, the one you'd wanna strangle on a daily basis...but was dynamite in bed.

She always calls up during a dry spell, and ya have to hit it one more time.

Originally Posted by Mr. Brady

This is the reason modelers don't sound good. They don't have a standby switch modelled so the virtual tubes never get a chance to warm up.

Comment

I want that cab!
      Guitars:
      - ESP Original Forest GT
      - Edwards E-LP-98LTS
      - LTD M-1000
      - Seagull S6

Amp:
      - Mesa/Boogie Mark IV

Effects:
      - Maxon OD808
      - MXR Smart gate
      - MXR Carbon copy
      - TC Electronic Hall of Fame
      - TC Electronic Polytune

Comment

The v30 speakers sound killer with the JC
        Guitars:
        - ESP Original Forest GT
        - Edwards E-LP-98LTS
        - LTD M-1000
        - Seagull S6

Amp:
        - Mesa/Boogie Mark IV

Effects:
        - Maxon OD808
        - MXR Smart gate
        - MXR Carbon copy
        - TC Electronic Hall of Fame
        - TC Electronic Polytune

Comment

you got this before the pico valve! doug get him a pico so he can do clips! but hey the cab looks great

Comment

What are you gonna do with those legends?
            HCAF: Zombie Response Team

Founder of "Teh Br00tal Gainz crew"

Peavey 6505+
            ISP Pwnerator Pedal
            Line 6 DL-4
            BYOC 250+
            Hillbilly 2x12 w/ V30's

Originally Posted by exafro

Tell your friend the internet said he's a moron.

Good Transactions: wlfgnplyr, shegogglbescock, and a bunch more I don't remember

Comment

Great playing and tone!
              Mesa Boogie MK III
              Marshall DSL 50
              JCA 20H
              ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
              Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
              Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony
              Fender HM Strat
              Paul Reed Smith SE Custom

Comment

Looks sweet, I am very interested to see what they go for.
                Gear:
                Absolutely nothing. Sell me your 8 string!

Good deals with: Sweep?, Emerica167852, ADTR, Ju51n20, Norton666, Kurais, BryanFTWL, rbasaria, George Djentson (x2), Sheehs, GuitarAl96, Downer01, Fredster, Miner, Apophis

Originally Posted by diddlybo

Maybe your Axe-fx was modeling a tube amp breaking down?

Comment

You ****************ing thunder stealer!

My whitebox 4x12 has been sitting at work since yesterday afternoon. I had to take the day off, so I didn't get to get it yet

My "NCD" thread will probably go up Saturday. It will include pictures from the show tonight.

Good score, man! I can't wait for mine.
                  ORANGE AMPS
                  Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

Do you know which legends came in it? The model number should be under the rubber around the magnet. One thing to keep in mind about legends is they take kind of a while to break in. I wasnt in love with my vader until those ****************ers broke in, and it took almost 2 months to do so...though I didnt play it everyday, and I didnt play it at high volumes. Until then, they are kinda harsh sounding, but once they break in...
                    Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

Sounds great (even through my mac speakers).
                      Needs Tubes or strings: www.valvequeen.com
                      Authorized dealer of SED, GOLD LION, RUBY, TUNG SOL, JJ, SOVTEK, SVETLANA, DR, SIT...My band: www.foolscrown.com
                      Youtube: www.youtube.com/FCGUITARFacebook: www.facebook.com/valvequeen Tube questions: info at valvequeen dot com

Comment

The legends aren't really harsh in the ice pick type way, it's more of just a very abrasive 2.5 kHz spike in the sound. I hooked my DBX215 eq in the loop and fiddled with the various sliders and when I hit 2.5k, pulled it all the way down, the tone was 1000% better.

The legends are a GB128 and a 1258 I think.
                        Guitars
                        Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
                        Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Comment

The legends aren't really harsh in the ice pick type way, it's more of just a very abrasive 2.5 kHz spike in the sound. I hooked my DBX215 eq in the loop and fiddled with the various sliders and when I hit 2.5k, pulled it all the way down, the tone was 1000% better.

The legends are a GB128 and a 1258 I think.

I guarantee thats from them being brand new!!
                          Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

What are you gonna do with those legends?

Send them back to me!
                            www.jetcityamplification.com

new company launching 9.7.10:
                            www.whiteboxeng.com

Comment

You ****************ing thunder stealer!

My whitebox 4x12 has been sitting at work since yesterday afternoon. I had to take the day off, so I didn't get to get it yet

My "NCD" thread will probably go up Saturday. It will include pictures from the show tonight.

Good score, man! I can't wait for mine.

Ha ha ha! He had NO right to do that! I shipped yours a day EARLIER than I shipped this one!!!
                              www.jetcityamplification.com

new company launching 9.7.10:
                              www.whiteboxeng.com

Comment

Working...
                              X