NCD!! - White Box Engineering 212 cab!

FastRedPonyCar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOW this cab looks/sounds solid..and the options of any emi speaker (for the most part i assume) and grills and such is amazing..pisses me off how much my marshall 1960BV cost :facepalm: again doug, you're proving why you're one of the best in the biz now..you know whats up!!!

• Members

FRPC, thanks a lot for doing this - you always come through and I appreciate it. I also am happy for your honesty...

But why does HCAF never like my logos???????
:facepalm:

Personally..I really dig the logo..that was one of the first things I noticed..very cool!

• Members

Update: Front loading won't work. The speaker hole route is too small in diameter. The little lip where the basket of the speaker starts to angle back towards the magnet is preventing it from mounting flush to the surface of the cab.

I think if the circular route in the front baffle of the cab were maybe either a tiny bit wider or angled just enough that the speaker can drop in and be flush with the front baffle, it'd work. The T-nuts were easy to swap to the back though.

• Members

I wish I even had the option of setting my {censored} up in my house right now. Goddamn I need a good practice space.

And I need to make videos with the White Box 4x12. We're the only guys who have 'em :D

EDIT: also, great clips as always

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Update. Thought I'd bump this thread because I used the cab at both our shows this weekend and to be perfectly honest, this is the best sounding 212 I've ever heard on stage.

I actually turned it around backwards and had both the small panels removed for a half open configuration and was able to really crank the amp though it.

The stage presence this cab showed was beyond any of my expectations. The sound was literally EVERYWHERE on stage but at no location on stage was it too much or overpowering anything in the mix.

The sound guys still had it mic'd up but they said that it was very easy to work with, stage volume from out in the crowd was great and easy to handle and what impressed me the most was that it seemed like no matter where I was standing on stage or out in the crowd, the tone, dynamics, articulation and presence of the sound remained nearly the same. When I was standing right next to the amp, it sounded virtually the same as over on the other side of the stage with the bass player or out at the sound board to get sound check levels, it sounded the SAME. I've never heard my sound do that and I was so happy with that.

Our singer was using his OS port city 212 and even when standing directly in front of his setup, the whitebox was still sitting perfectly in the sound but when you walked away from his cab, it just disappeared.

It was the first time that I've been able to really crank up my sound to a point that I want it to be that I think it sounds best without getting yelled at by the bar manager or sound man and without the fear of blasting people right in front of my setup with overwhelming volume so much that they can't hear anything else.

It was one of those game changer moments for me where I realized things are going to be done differently from now on. I don't think that a closed back cab could have delivered this level of perfection IMO. I've gigged with my splawn and legacy 4x12 cabs backwards before and got very little stage volume and when not on stage, they were virtually inaudible so that open back really helped fill the stage. The sound from the WB just seemed to engulf the rooms we played at (both very very different) without being oppressing to the ears in the mix. It's like it good and loud but never too much volume... loud SOUNDING I would call it but extremely complacent in the overall sound from the stage and the PA.

Anyways, big props to the guys who built this thing. I really thought it was the best I've ever sounded from an overall mix and stage presence perspective.

I played better because of that and that is the single biggest compliment that I can give the cab.

Archived