Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a Boss Metal Zone through the clean channel.

Thank me later! Serious!
    Zazas Zazas Nasatanada Zazas

Good transactions:
    StevePage (b)
    Deadeye Dom (s)
    Maiden_Fan (s)
    metareal (s)
    YourGuitarHero (b)
    Ratae Coritanorum (b)
    ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by satannica
      View Post

Thank me later! Serious!

OMG dude you were so right! I'm never using the gain channel ever again...

Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
      Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Yes that's my girlfriend.

Comment

I don't know if he is kidding but with some amps the metal zone is just awesome...my other guitarist highly values it with his fender (red knob twin) and some metal bands with valvestates. With many amps, it sounds like ****************. I wouldn't be amazed if it sounded sweet with the laney.
        "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man
          View Post

with some amps the metal zone is just awesome...

I've heard of these rumors before. I just don't want to believe it. The Metal Zone was my first pedal ever when I had one of those $100 crate practice amps. That pedal and the BF-3 (which was my second pedal) will always give me a nostalgic feeling, but if I got one and it was awesome it would destroy the very foundation of my soul and I'd probably burn my Laneys.

I will say that when I was 14 and had the Metal Zone that I LOVED ****************ing with that mid-frequency knob. The sweep on that thing was so ****************ing bitchin' and I always thought it would ROCK to have a wah type effect based on that part of the Metal Zone's circuit. If you've ever hit a power cord and tweaked that knob back and forth you know what the **************** I'm talking about. It's a great filter sweep... seriously.

Can anyone make me one? I'll pay $$$. PM me
          Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
          Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Comment

yeah I know what you mean. D chord was the easiest to hold and **************** with that knob all day. Its eq, was indeed (is...it didn't die! unless it is dead to you ha ha) offensively powerfull, especially vs eqs on the amps.

Raceu4her has some great clips with a metalzone on a fender!
            "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

WHAT? Metalzone? Really? Man, the only person I'd think that could make one of those sound good would be Ola.

Of course the question begs to be asked, why bother with a metal zone when you have a VH100R (no matter how great the VH100R might make it sound)?

Derek

Comment

Actually, a modded metal zone would probably sound bad ass. There is enough low end and power inherent in the amp that it would probably sound mean as hell if eq'd right. The gain on a VH100r is not mean like a metal zone. It is probably the first amp I have owned where I wasn't feeling the vibe at first but still wanted to keep it and see what all I could do with it. It is definitely an amp that needs some sit down time to fully appreciate.

Comment

AKA the opposite of every Carvin amp I have owned lol

Comment

AKA the opposite of every Carvin amp I have owned lol

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN
                      View Post

The gain on a VH100r is not mean like a metal zone.

seriously, i mean.... I understand that these things are subjective but I have no idea what you're talking about. I think the VH100R is plenty mean.

Comment

View Post

Thank me later! Serious!

I can't recall if it was the author of the Mark IV clips originally posted in this thread or someone else who boosted a Mesa with a Metal Zone, but the clips on whatever other thread it was sounded great to me at the time -- enough for me to buy one to try as a boost, as well.

I'll just say I could not get the Metal Zone to not sound like a Metal Zone regardless of how much I tweaked it and the amps I had at the time. I don't know how some people are doing it, but it's beyond my capabilities. I can't stand the nasally compressed pedally sound they make -- at least when I've tried using them. But I do recommend trying an SD-1 or TS pedal in front of the gain channel.
                        __________________________________________________ ________
                        Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

View Post

Thank me later! Serious!

I can't recall if it was the author of the Mark IV clips originally posted in this thread or someone else who boosted a Mesa with a Metal Zone, but the clips on whatever other thread it was sounded great to me at the time -- enough for me to buy one to try as a boost, as well.

I'll just say I could not get the Metal Zone to not sound like a Metal Zone regardless of how much I tweaked it and the amps I had at the time. I don't know how some people are doing it, but it's beyond my capabilities. I can't stand the nasally compressed pedally sound they make -- at least when I've tried using them. But I do recommend trying an SD-1 or TS pedal in front of the gain channel.
                          __________________________________________________ ________
                          Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy
                            View Post

Of course the question begs to be asked, why bother with a metal zone when you have a VH100R (no matter how great the VH100R might make it sound)?

Derek

yup. "VH100R" and "Boss Metal Zone" should not occur within the same discussion.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy
                              View Post

Derek

yup. "VH100R" and "Boss Metal Zone" should not occur within the same discussion.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica
                                View Post

But I do recommend trying an SD-1 or TS pedal in front of the gain channel.

I got me a Xotic BB preamp

I have a Keeley SD-1, which was > than the Keeley TS-808, but after numerous A/B tests the SD-1 < BB preamp

Comment

Working...
                                X