NAD (VH100R)

Mike LX-R

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

biggrin.gif But I do recommend trying an SD-1 or TS pedal in front of the gain channel. cool.gif

I got me a Xotic BB preamp love.gif

I have a Keeley SD-1, which was > than the Keeley TS-808, but after numerous A/B tests the SD-1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

confused.gif

icon_lol.gif seriously, i mean.... I understand that these things are subjective but I have no idea what you're talking about. I think the VH100R is plenty mean.

Maybe I haven't found those EQ settings? There is a "roundness" to everything that I am hearing. You also have to remember I am a 5150 fanboy. THAT is what I would call a "mean" tone. The VH is an amp that inspires a lot of adjective throwing. Open, round, organic; all these terms are cliches, but they all apply to the VH; cliche or not. A 5150 is fairly one-dimensional. You can do alot of things with it, but it is at it's best being vicious. No more, no less.

Obviously, a metal zone won't sound as good as channel B for most things. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that lol; I was moreso suggesting that the amp itself is a good platform across the board. I think it would make a lot of cheaper gear sound good, including a metal zone. I could also be crazy, who knowspoke.gifconfused.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

confused.gif

icon_lol.gif seriously, i mean.... I understand that these things are subjective but I have no idea what you're talking about. I think the VH100R is plenty mean.

Maybe I haven't found those EQ settings? There is a "roundness" to everything that I am hearing. You also have to remember I am a 5150 fanboy. THAT is what I would call a "mean" tone. The VH is an amp that inspires a lot of adjective throwing. Open, round, organic; all these terms are cliches, but they all apply to the VH; cliche or not. A 5150 is fairly one-dimensional. You can do alot of things with it, but it is at it's best being vicious. No more, no less.

Obviously, a metal zone won't sound as good as channel B for most things. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that lol; I was moreso suggesting that the amp itself is a good platform across the board. I think it would make a lot of cheaper gear sound good, including a metal zone. I could also be crazy, who knowspoke.gifconfused.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN

View Post

with your further clarification and your frame of reference, I can understand why you would say that now. that having been said, my amp tech's favorite amp of all time is the earliest 5150 and he's got a few mods that make it much less one dimensional.

• Members

View Post

with your further clarification and your frame of reference, I can understand why you would say that now. that having been said, my amp tech's favorite amp of all time is the earliest 5150 and he's got a few mods that make it much less one dimensional.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_drums View Post
It's a badass amp! He did an amazing job representing that amp in that clip! New vh100r owners need to spend a bit of time tweaking it to really get the feel how the amp functions in a live situation unless you've owned laney amps in the past. The key is in a "band" setting.

Some owners will never know just how good this amp can sound without stretching its legs.

It's good you already know how this amp reacts to power tubes. When laney decided to ship these amps with the cheap Chinese brands...it really misrepresented of what the vh100r sounded like.

I used cl80, gt75, vet 30 in the past, but my favorite is the v30/ et65 combo.

The bad thing about sed is that they're freaking expensive now.

You'll definitely have balls of fun taking this amp for rehearsals and gigs! It's never let me down in 12 years!
This. I have always wanted a VH100R but 100W is far too powerful for my band/gigging small gigs atm to use at its full potential.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_drums View Post
It's a badass amp! He did an amazing job representing that amp in that clip! New vh100r owners need to spend a bit of time tweaking it to really get the feel how the amp functions in a live situation unless you've owned laney amps in the past. The key is in a "band" setting.

Some owners will never know just how good this amp can sound without stretching its legs.

It's good you already know how this amp reacts to power tubes. When laney decided to ship these amps with the cheap Chinese brands...it really misrepresented of what the vh100r sounded like.

I used cl80, gt75, vet 30 in the past, but my favorite is the v30/ et65 combo.

The bad thing about sed is that they're freaking expensive now.

You'll definitely have balls of fun taking this amp for rehearsals and gigs! It's never let me down in 12 years!
This. I have always wanted a VH100R but 100W is far too powerful for my band/gigging small gigs atm to use at its full potential.

• Members

So had some more time to play with the amp at high volume last night. With my C# guitar, tone was still kind of muddy. Tweaked the eq a bit but to no real success. I have Dacvtivators in the guitar and they are not as bright as I would like them to be at the lower tuning. I ended up restringing this guitar to 440 to use in my cover band. Once i did that, the Laney sounded godly. 10 band in the loop and it sounded mean as hell. I was running the B channel, brought up the effects level on the front to bring the eq boost into the mix. The tones i was getting made me contemplate starting starting a metal band in standard tuning lol m/

• Members

So had some more time to play with the amp at high volume last night. With my C# guitar, tone was still kind of muddy. Tweaked the eq a bit but to no real success. I have Dacvtivators in the guitar and they are not as bright as I would like them to be at the lower tuning. I ended up restringing this guitar to 440 to use in my cover band. Once i did that, the Laney sounded godly. 10 band in the loop and it sounded mean as hell. I was running the B channel, brought up the effects level on the front to bring the eq boost into the mix. The tones i was getting made me contemplate starting starting a metal band in standard tuning lol m/

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy

View Post

WHAT? Metalzone? Really? Man, the only person I'd think that could make one of those sound good would be Ola.

Of course the question begs to be asked, why bother with a metal zone when you have a VH100R (no matter how great the VH100R might make it sound)?

Derek

Lol at these reactions.

Whatever - I ran a VH100R for 4 years, what the hell do I know! How about instead of laughing you go try it?

Who knows, you might hate it, again what do I know.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy

View Post

WHAT? Metalzone? Really? Man, the only person I'd think that could make one of those sound good would be Ola.

Of course the question begs to be asked, why bother with a metal zone when you have a VH100R (no matter how great the VH100R might make it sound)?

Derek

Lol at these reactions.

Whatever - I ran a VH100R for 4 years, what the hell do I know! How about instead of laughing you go try it?

Who knows, you might hate it, again what do I know.

• Members

View Post

ah HA! So that's explains it. Yup, I'm a standard tuning kind of guy... a bit old school even for being as relatively young as I am.

• Members

View Post

ah HA! So that's explains it. Yup, I'm a standard tuning kind of guy... a bit old school even for being as relatively young as I am.

Archived