Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really struggling with this Laney Ironheart. Need help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The active EQ on the Triple XXX is why I eventually sold it. Once I started playing out more, I began to notice how my "go to" setting (bass 7-8, mids 5,treble 6) sounded harsh and undefined. A big part of it was even at a relatively conservative setting, the midrange was just overbearing. I tried rolling the knob back to aboout 3.5, and then it was just too scooped for my tastes. IMO, Active EQs are just way too gatdamn sensitive.

Yeah it is overly sensitive. It did take me time to decode it. I mean, time time. Months. I just pictured it that in the middle position it might be a conventional tonestack and it worked. My treble knob is at 9 o'clock with my ibanez, my mid is almost full and the bass is almost maxed. The bass knob does seem to feed the rest of the tonestack somehow. If you keep it down the sound looses balls! As a result it is not spikey (which would be if one applies boost rather than cut) but more amp like if you will. Anyway the idea came from the "brown sound by turning down" setting about the XXX on the net in which the user had the tonestack to almost zero and sounded van halenish. Point is, with amps like this you can't form an oppinion in a matter of minutes, unfortunately.

If the ironheart does have a unique eq philosophy like timmyfirst says then you are up to a lot of tweaking and maybe you find what you like. I mean, potentional is there, ola englunds sample showcases it as perhaps one of the tightest amp in his test-just compare it to the fryette deliverance or mesa mark which was in my oppinion the kings for this. KSE do tour for sometime with these heads and seem to get their sound.

Also what speakers do you have in your cab? Timmyfirst said it maybe too spikey with V30s, here are some pretty good samples with ironheart/laney V30 cab:

Hope this inspire you to try it a bit more, you never know. You can always get the 6505+ in the end or something.
    "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

I went through both a JSX and Triple XXX and couldn't jive with either, and the Eq was one of the big reasons why. Most of the dial on the active EQ is pointless, and the mid knob was extra funky. I just don't like amps that aretoo 'tweaky'. I think they sound great for a lot of folks but I don't enjoy Boogie amps because of how 'creative' the tone stacks and EQ options can be. I get so caught up in the tweaking that I hardly ever just get down and play. But tha's just me...

I understand you completely but I disagree about boogies. The tonestacks are there, they can be creative etc but in the end they are set and forget for me. Especially the marks. I mean, out of all the combinations usually one specific will bring the guitar you play up front.

What I consider them to be is access to the circuit. Forget, pull deep, ressonance, tonestack curves and **************** like that. Every guitar-amp combination is different I stumbled upon guitars that played great with amp A and like total **************** with amp B, you wouldn't believe it really. All those funky switches are capacitors or just minor tweaks to signal path, nothing magic. The fact that they are there just saves you a trip to mod-land or to your tech.
      "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

Comment

You had it a few MONTHS and still hate it??? Why haven't you gotten rid of it?? The solution is so incredibly simple to this problem. When I got my Krank a while back I hated it and sold it within two weeks! I get the part where you're broke, but you're talking about spending even more money on something you don't like?? I'm sorry, but this thread completely baffles me.

Turds. They do not polish well.

Having something for months doesn't mean a whole lot. He still haven't had the chance to try it with a band or at proper volume, so his experience with the amp is still kind of low.
        I normally have the chance to open up an amp and try it in a live setting within days of buying it, so I could say I know an amp better within days than he does in a few months.

I still haven't had the chance to play the IronHeart though and all the clips I've heard so far tells me I'm better off with the GH
        http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

I understand you completely but I disagree about boogies. The tonestacks are there, they can be creative etc but in the end they are set and forget for me. Especially the marks. I mean, out of all the combinations usually one specific will bring the guitar you play up front.

What I consider them to be is access to the circuit. Forget, pull deep, ressonance, tonestack curves and **************** like that. Every guitar-amp combination is different I stumbled upon guitars that played great with amp A and like total **************** with amp B, you wouldn't believe it really. All those funky switches are capacitors or just minor tweaks to signal path, nothing magic. The fact that they are there just saves you a trip to mod-land or to your tech.

As "tweaky" as Mesa amps can be, I will say that in my experience trying them out, some can get great tones pretty instant, some need a little more time, and some are just flat out hopeless. The Rectifier series is a perfect example of that. The Single Rectifier is easy to dial in due to the simple setup, and it has the most Marshall flavor out of all of the three. I haven't heard a Dual Rectifier that I liked; to me, it just sounds like a warmer version of the "Can of Bees" tone no matter what the settings are. The last time I tried out the Triple Rectifier, I set the basic EQ like I would normally do on a Marshall, but I quickly realized that I needed to break out of that comfort zone. Once I tweaked the dials on it for a good 5 minutes or so, I was rewarded with a very tight, beefy tone. Definitely my favorite of the Recto series.
          GUITARS:
          Ibanez UV777BK - Evolution 7 bridge, Blaze SC middle/Blaze neck
          Ibanez RG7420 - Evolution 7 bridge, Blaze neck
          Gibson Les Paul Studio - stock
          Squier Stagemaster - EMG 81s

AMPS & CAB:
          Marshall JVM 210H
          Marshall JCM 900 4100 (modded)
          Marshall 1960B (G12T-75 / Hellatone 30 X-Pattern)

PEDALS:
          Boss TU-2
          Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
          Maxon OD808
          MXR Phase 90
          Boss CH-1
          Digitech Turbo Flange
          Boss NS-2
          Hardwire DL-8
          Blackstar HT-DistX

Originally Posted by Pepi

Short 100 bucks **************** YOU OBAMA

Comment

A lot of what you don't like about the tone by yourself may be exactly what works in an actual band mix. If you bought this for live use then try it with a band first before you make any decisions. Dialing it in on it's own has very little relevance to what works in a band until you know what it should sound like in a band mix etc. If you're only going to play on your own than sure maybe not the right amp for you.

This is true. If I was going off the tone I get with my amp at home, I would have already sold it because it's just not the best amp for it. But live it is awesome. Some amps are just not bedroom amps, that doesn't mean they're bad.

I think if the OP bought the amp with the intention of getting in a band, he needs to do that before he decides what to do with the gear.
            http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

Owned a Laney VH, ice picks hurt my ears. I can understand the problem. Sounds like they are still similar.
              Amplification:
              ENGL Savage Special Edition
              Marshall JVM210H
              Marshall JMP-1
              Line 6 PodXT
              Framus Dragon 4x12

Guitars:

ESP LTD H-207
              Schecter PT Blackjack
              Yamaha Studio Lord SL700S
              Agile Intrepid 8
              Charvel So-Cal
              Squier Stratocaster Korean Project

SCHECTER SOCIETY

Comment

This is true. If I was going off the tone I get with my amp at home, I would have already sold it because it's just not the best amp for it. But live it is awesome. Some amps are just not bedroom amps, that doesn't mean they're bad.

I think if the OP bought the amp with the intention of getting in a band, he needs to do that before he decides what to do with the gear.

I dunno...I think a solid amp should be good at both bedroom and live settings. Ive always dialed in my amps at home, and those settings are my set it and forget it settings. I dont touch it after that. Those tones have always worked well in a band setting, as well. I mean...if this amp is such a struggle, and hes used to the 5150...friggin I dont care what any one says...the 5150 sounds good at bedroom levels and at live levels without changing the settings.
                Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

To me a Boogie mark series amp with the Graphic EQ is the ultimate. You can dial in everything on that amp. Feel, tone, bass response, etc. Then there's amps like the Genz Benz El Diablow that doesn't have one good sounding setting in the whole thing.
                  Originally Posted by Elemenope

You get 1 free punch...They can't hit you back..Call the cops..Anything. Who??

Originally Posted by RSBro

madryan

Rack building thread...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ies-rig...-Pix

Amp Packing Tutorial

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ial&highlight=

Comment

I dunno...I think a solid amp should be good at both bedroom and live settings. Ive always dialed in my amps at home, and those settings are my set it and forget it settings. I dont touch it after that. Those tones have always worked well in a band setting, as well. I mean...if this amp is such a struggle, and hes used to the 5150...friggin I dont care what any one says...the 5150 sounds good at bedroom levels and at live levels without changing the settings.

Meh...

Lots of Marshalls like the 2203 sound horrid at Bedroom volumes unless they're modded but sound ungodly amazing at gigging levels. You're used to the way things are now. It didn't used to be that way where amps all came with really good MV's and resonance controls and all that.
                    Originally Posted by Elemenope

You get 1 free punch...They can't hit you back..Call the cops..Anything. Who??

Originally Posted by RSBro

madryan

Rack building thread...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ies-rig...-Pix

Amp Packing Tutorial

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ial&highlight=

Comment

Get rid of it. This isn't rocket science. If you've turned the knobs and still hate the tone, it's not worth it to keep beating your head against a wall. Sell it and get something you will like.

this!

but Laney resale value is complete **************** so good luck with that.
                      =====
                      Smooth transactions with: V-type (x2), torgeot, teflondog, spindlergallery , MrSandMan, mikerockstar, Sinster, dangolguitartec, sfam198, landbriancoe, Uberscha11,mttmg,andy43,jimithing5150,MattWV,alxml r789,fulcrumpoint,Inca Roads,Rgkchile,Mason Wells,Powerglide350,dustinoneil, chuckmehh, Further Lo, skaaks, Kano2864212, VTM, Adversor, dustman283

Originally Posted by SweepLegatto

The noise comes from the cabinet, not from the pots of the front panel.

Comment

Yeah I know a lot of amps that are like that. Peavey's are definitely like that, you can use same settings for bedroom and live and they will work.

British amps like Marshalls, Laneys etc, are normally not like that and need a good dose of volume to sound their best. I used to hate my 800 2210 at home volume, well... not hate, but it was far from ideal. It was a great live amp though.

Comment

Meh...

Lots of Marshalls like the 2203 sound horrid at Bedroom volumes unless they're modded but sound ungodly amazing at gigging levels. You're used to the way things are now. It didn't used to be that way where amps all came with really good MV's and resonance controls and all that.

Yeah, I guess. But this amp is a MODERN amp...it should have a very linear and transparent MV control, IMO. Old amps are old amps, and sure, maybe thats how they were, but in todays world with all the options out there, I think anything NEW coming out should meet that new standard.
                          Peavey ESP DiMarzio

Good Transactions

Comment

Yeah I know a lot of amps that are like that. Peavey's are definitely like that, you can use same settings for bedroom and live and they will work.

British amps like Marshalls, Laneys etc, are normally not like that and need a good dose of volume to sound their best. I used to hate my 800 2210 at home volume, well... not hate, but it was far from ideal. It was a great live amp though.

Damn brits need to get in with the new technology, then!!
                            Peavey ESP DiMarzio

Good Transactions

Comment

One of my friends has the laney LC50, talk about an amp that needs definately volume. At lowish (not only bedroom but louder) settings it is just buzzy, lacks gain, can go to icepick really quick just a mess. It becomes pretty damn good with volume but for that amp the sweet spot is definately on the louder side for most normal gigs.

I agree with Raf though, the ironheart should have the problem solved, it almost self advertises it with the watts control.
                              I wonder if the OP could record a room sample with his ironheart? Could be a specific amp related problem?

Comment

As "tweaky" as Mesa amps can be, I will say that in my experience trying them out, some can get great tones pretty instant, some need a little more time, and some are just flat out hopeless. The Rectifier series is a perfect example of that. The Single Rectifier is easy to dial in due to the simple setup, and it has the most Marshall flavor out of all of the three. I haven't heard a Dual Rectifier that I liked; to me, it just sounds like a warmer version of the "Can of Bees" tone no matter what the settings are. The last time I tried out the Triple Rectifier, I set the basic EQ like I would normally do on a Marshall, but I quickly realized that I needed to break out of that comfort zone. Once I tweaked the dials on it for a good 5 minutes or so, I was rewarded with a very tight, beefy tone. Definitely my favorite of the Recto series.

I totally agree about the single rectifier being the most marshallesque of all in a sense. And it was good at lower volumes. Maybe perhaps an amp that the OP should look at if he throws the ironheart to the sea or out of the window or break it up to small pieces and flush it down the toilet or...oops just got carried away!

Comment

Working...
                                X