Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really struggling with this Laney Ironheart. Need help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you boosting it?

Comment

Get rid of it. This isn't rocket science. If you've turned the knobs and still hate the tone, it's not worth it to keep beating your head against a wall. Sell it and get something you will like.

This, So this.
      Laney's are often bright amps. Great for a band not so good at home.
      http://www.guitarampboard.com we have gone there, please follow!!!Rememberhttp://www.guitarampboard.comYes that's righthttp://www.guitarampboard.com^_^ http://www.guitarampboard.com ^_^

Comment

This, So this.
        Laney's are often bright amps. Great for a band not so good at home.

A Laney with the treble at 0 is not bright, actually it's pretty muffled at that point. You just need to start there and stop once you get the amount of highs you need. It will be a pretty low setting, but that's how they work.

The same happens with Mesa Marks (but on the opposite side) : they're pretty muffled until you find out you have to runs your bass at 0-2. Then they're awesome.

There is a lot of user error when it comes to Laneys. They're not like Marshalls where a 5-5-5 on the EQ is a good starting point. Their tone stack is really different.

Of course, this might just not be that amp for him, that happens with any amp. There is a thread right now with a guy struggling with a 5153, which is regarded by many - myself included - as a great amp. Not every amp will work for every player, but the "ear piercing" thing is user error.
        http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

sell Laney, get 5150.
          Guitars:Gibson Les Paul Standard FadedFender Roadworn '72 Deluxe TelecasterKramer StrikerAmplification:Titan Custom RetrofitRandall R412CSOfficial member of the Ninja Lows club

Comment

you mentioned you've got pedals, have you tried boosting it with one?
            Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I love you.

Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I STILL love you!

Originally Posted by CountGrishnackh

I know that bag. I know it well. Liquor store pron. He ain't dead yet!

Official Traverser Reverbnation
            Youtube
            Soundcloud

Comment

I don't see why you can't just trade it for a 5150.
              Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
              Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
              Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
              Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Comment

TS9. Do not use the boost on the amp.

Dynamics high, tone below 5. Keep the Watts knob above 5.

Bass knob pulled, I don't care for the other 2 tone shifts, but that's just me. I run a pretty flat EQ'd soloing tone on the lead channel, and a slightly lowered mid tone on the rhythm/crunch channel.

If you can't find a tone you like, sell it. This amp is not like a 5150, though it is Laney's entry into the modern high gain market.
                Gear list
                Ibanez: RG750 / RG565 / XPT700
                Charvel: USA So-Cal / Sunburst Mutt / Flame-top Mutt
                Laney Ironheart 60H
                Jet City JCA22H
                Peavey Transformer 112
                Avatar Vintage 2-12 (Tonespotter/Swamp Thang)
                Digitech RP1000
                Some pedals(ISP, Korg, EHX, Modtone)
                Pictures - Video Clips

Comment

buy a blackstar, much nicer amps!
                  amps
                  Engl fireball
                  ht-20 combo
                  blackstar HT-5
                  Peavey Classic 50H
                  Baez 100 something
                  cabs
                  engl slant (V30 one)
                  marshall 1960a
                  classic 4x12 tweed
                  E-tone 1x12
                  Baez 4x12
                  guitars
                  Shecter Blackjack 08
                  Schecter Classic Blue
                  Schecter Elite vintage white
                  LTD M-302 natural finish
                  my vids of shred
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/gtjumper

Comment

buy a blackstar, much nicer amps!

lol...

Actually I was just playing my little HT-5 rig tonight at TV volume thinking what an awesome little amp it really is. I'm running it through a great cab (Boogie Thiele) and some really nice effects gear so it's a rig, not just an amp but it's a stellar little home setup. Much better than something like a Tiny Terror for home jamming.
                    Originally Posted by Elemenope

You get 1 free punch...They can't hit you back..Call the cops..Anything. Who??

Originally Posted by RSBro

madryan

Rack building thread...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ies-rig...-Pix

Amp Packing Tutorial

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ial&highlight=

Comment

lol...

Actually I was just playing my little HT-5 rig tonight at TV volume thinking what an awesome little amp it really is. I'm running it through a great cab (Boogie Thiele) and some really nice effects gear so it's a rig, not just an amp but it's a stellar little home setup. Much better than something like a Tiny Terror for home jamming.

Although i agree with you, I was only trolling as hard as i could.

But the HT-5 is amazing for home use, i ised to play it through a 1960a cab!
                      amps
                      Engl fireball
                      ht-20 combo
                      blackstar HT-5
                      Peavey Classic 50H
                      Baez 100 something
                      cabs
                      engl slant (V30 one)
                      marshall 1960a
                      classic 4x12 tweed
                      E-tone 1x12
                      Baez 4x12
                      guitars
                      Shecter Blackjack 08
                      Schecter Classic Blue
                      Schecter Elite vintage white
                      LTD M-302 natural finish
                      my vids of shred
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/gtjumper

Comment

Although i agree with you, I was only trolling as hard as i could.

But the HT-5 is amazing for home use, i ised to play it through a 1960a cab!

Yes... my troll-dar went off hence the "lol" part.

I don't know if I'd buy any of the other Blackstar stuff. I'd have to play some of the bigger HT's but the little one sure is a great practice amp.

madryan

Rack building thread...

Amp Packing Tutorial

Comment

I would trade for a 6505, maybe with cash on their end! If it ain't working for you, move on.

If you want to try, here's something I do every so often.

Go rent a rehearsal studio for a couple of hours. Take all your gear and a couple of your favourite guitars and fiddle with your stuff for a while. I've uncovered some really cool tones that way.

I'd also reconsider your cab; Laneys love Marshall cabs, so I'd start there!
                          Zazas Zazas Nasatanada Zazas

Good transactions:
                          StevePage (b)
                          Deadeye Dom (s)
                          Maiden_Fan (s)
                          metareal (s)
                          YourGuitarHero (b)
                          Ratae Coritanorum (b)
                          ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Comment

Ola Englund got an amazing tone from the ironheart, although through its own cabinet. Tight and dry but defined at the same time.

And maybe this will help with the tweaking

It kind of gets close for that almost 5150/VH hybrid you'd expect, even on its single tracks. He did...reply to a friend of mine that he'd take the AMT stonehead over the ironheart any day though!

Does your whitebox have a retractable back panel? You could try making it semi open back and tweak from the beggining...
                            Pull your tone knob and volume knob on the guitar back a bit. Don't use the onboard boast toshiro warned about, it is not a tube screamer style boost and something went severly wrong with the design as a laney tech admitted through e-mail that it does hit the first gain stage TOO hard (keep it really low and gain low on the amp if you like what it does on the sound).

Of course there is always the sollution of trading it for a 5150 and be done with it!
                            "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

I had a JSX. I loved the thing till exactly 2 days after the return window ended and then I noticed the "cocked wah" thing. After that I hated it. Couldn't stand it. I tried everything short of tearing into it and modding it. I spent a small fortune on tubes, speakers, more tubes, more speakers, boutique boost pedals, blah blah blah.

Finally I sold it to a dude in Canada. He loved it. I was rid of it. The world was a better place.

The take home point is get rid of the thing as fast as you can and get something that makes your soul sing.

madryan

Rack building thread...

Amp Packing Tutorial

Comment

I think as most people have said, Laneys really arent a "plug 'n play" amp, take everything you know about EQing and amp and throw it straight out of the window because theres nothing else out there that works like a Laney. I had my first VH back when i was 23 and i didnt like it, i found the features confusing and i couldnt get my head round dialling it in, 3 years later i bought another one and absolutely loved it, but it was on after i'd spent the time and got advice on speakers and the way the EQ works.

I found the Ironheart the same, i tested the amp pre-release about 18 months ago and the guys at Laney had it dialled in so well it absolutely floored me, but after tinkering for a few minutes i had got totally lost in the amp! It does have a lot of tone shaping features and the range of tones is quite vast but all of those tones are very Laney. Maybe you're not getting on with the Laney voicing? Its something that is an acquired taste and it isnt for everyone, but you hear that core sound in everything valve that Laney make.

As for the on-board boost, i've never come across the problem that a few forumites have, yes i have tried it maxed out on the lead channel with the gain maxed out and i didnt have a problem. I've found the boost really useful, especially at lower volumes. I think those experiencing problems may be pushing a lot of bass frequencies as well as gain and what they should remember is that the boost boosts all of the frequencies.
                                Vanquish Mystique Custom
                                Marshall JCM900 4100ri
                                Marshall 1960a
                                Ibanez TS9
                                Ibanez AD9
                                Korg Pitchblack
                                Sanyo Eneloop

Comment

Working...
                                X