To the wind...

1001gear

• Members

Ok. Amateur singers are a vain, sensitive lot and need encouraging feedback. Why DF grown people are like this, I don't know. Be that as it may that's how it be.

Still, If you can't judge your abilities by listening to yourself and comparing to professional examples, my suggestion to you is LEARN. It's not that difficult.

Know too that learning any musical instrument can be a long arduous journey that involves not just the instrument but learning WTF you're supposed to do with it. Yes this means learning MUSIC. You'd best learn to enjoy it.

Beginners. SING OUT. It's very difficult to draw conclusions over a timidly uttered ditty. If you find that too strenuous, Hooray! you've discovered you need preparatory work. Perhaps Davie will accommodate you and post a singers primer? Long tones and scales come to mind but that's beyond the scope of this rant.

Anyway done.

• Members

nah. I just think they need way more prep before posting which of course they somehow need to know about and on and on. Right now there aren't enough participants for hand holding and support groups to form; not even for laughs never mind enrichment. And then there's the trolls. You can't just come out and say "die off troll". Anyway, I started this thread lest there be an onslaught of the clueless, trolls included.

I'm one of only a few who will even venture a response here. You had a specific question the answer to which showed in your post so I gave it a shot. There are those that want only compliments or worse consider any negative response unconstructive or mean spirited lol. I offer what I consider to be musical advice take it or leave it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

if you dont have the patience for beginners, why are you here? i started out as a rank beginner, if i keep working at it, i may actually make some progress... but being judged by wannabees is supposed to be positive? in times when participation is sparse, id think we would want everyone involved here, not just our personal faves...

• Members

1001 gear, im calling you out... you seem to give a lot of advice around here... some of it is valid and some of it is pretty much feces, from my perspective... have you ever written anything? do you sing? have you ever performed professionally and if so, in what capacities? what instruments are your forte and where can i find examples of your expertise? have you ever been on the road? what venues have you played? by the way, judging your own abilities is perhaps the most ridiculous things ive ever heard... thanks for the laugh!

You babysit then. Otherwise musicians NEED to develop their own sense of quality. You too evidently.

Sure, but not all musicians are at the same point in their development process.

You don't need to tell me about musicians who don't have a clue about their level of talent and proficiency - every studio owner on the planet has plenty of experience dealing with the delusional... but not everyone who isn't at a pro-level is unaware of that fact, nor do I think people need to be before they can participate here, nor do I think that every request for critique needs to include a "I'm not a pro, and don't aspire to be, and I know I suck..." disclaimer. Sometimes people ask for advice and opinions because they don't know, and maybe a pro or knowledgeable amateur may hear something that is well-known to them, but unknown to the neophyte, and share it with them... there's nothing wrong with that IMHO.

No matter where you are on the knowledge, skills and abilities scale, we're all here because of our love for music, and we all want to make better music, regardless of where our current skill level is.

• Members

Many of these posts just sit there - no one to lie on their behalf. If they ask, I tell 'em as bluntly as I see fit. I thought maybe some primer for posting content would be in order. Voltan's (yeah, Mr. Censorship) election year campaigning withstanding.

• Members

it comes down to this: Some people truly have no idea. I have met people who really believe they can sing, but they know something is off; they just cant tell what. I would say in this case, it is imperative for the more seasoned singers to extend a bit of guidance their way.

Archived