Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you cover acts have Radiohead songs that work?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you cover acts have Radiohead songs that work?

After two decades of ignoring them, I've really been getting into them recently, and wouldn't mind a couple of their tunes finding their way into our rotation.

I do Creep occasionally in my solo shows. I do both "Creeps" RH and STP.
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

did Karma Police for solo acoustic shows worked okay at the college bars. Radiohead seem to be one of those bands where MORE people have strong feelings about them one way or the other rather than middle of the pack, take 'em or leave 'em attitudes.
      Member: IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS

Comment

Ive done High and Dry, Creep, Karma Police, and Bodysnatchers in the past. Creep and High and Dry are the only ones I play regularily at this point
        JAM Guitar Lessons. The Long Johns.

Comment

I see every band and their mom do "Creep," which is the alt-rock equivalent to performing "Sweet Home Alabama."
          Music, music, I hear music
          Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

creep is

we are learning Just. awesome song, rocks hard.
            strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

I see every band and their mom do "Creep," which is the alt-rock equivalent to performing "Sweet Home Alabama."

so basically, you have a problem with songs that appeal to a wide audience?

Comment

we do a mashup with it and "Kids" by MGMT so it is more peppy. It starts about 25 seconds into the video
                Originally Posted by 6StringSling

I played violin for four years in grade school, I know what it's like to play in a band/group and I know what it's like to play on stage.(slightly edited)

my rig: Eastwood Airline Map and a '96 blueshawk played through a VHT 100 Watt Pittbull Combo or an Orange Tiny Terror if the place has a bunch of stairs or isn't paying well.
                www.facebook.com/austincowbell
                www.austincowbell.com

Comment

Red Solo Cup has appeal to a wide audience. Do you play it?
                  http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

No... I think what he is saying is that every band picks the lowest hanging fruit, and most bands tend to butcher even that. I've seen 'Creep' performed by plenty of rock bands with the finesse of a claw hammer. Still it's the most accessible song. I couldn't imagine covering anything else unless you were an acoustic act.
                    so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

No... I think what he is saying is that every band picks the lowest hanging fruit, and most bands tend to butcher even that. I've seen 'Creep' performed by plenty of rock bands with the finesse of a claw hammer. Still it's the most accessible song. I couldn't imagine covering anything else unless you were an acoustic act.

That's not what I got out of his comment, especially with the @ the end.

I read it as "any one who is lame enough to play SHA is probably lame enough to play Creep". It smacked of elitism.

You guys may be worried about your "musical integrity". Me, I'm gonna play what the people wanna hear, even if I've played it a million times before.

Comment

I do Creep occasionally in my solo shows. I do both "Creeps" RH and STP.

Not the TLC one, though, right?

I always envisioned finding all the songs named "Creep" and figuring out a cool medley for them...
                        Brian V.
                        "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

We used to play "No Surprises" in a former band, it was really fun and sounded good. Beautiful ballad. Radiohead ain't exactly Top 40, but people that dig on them (and in my experience that is most "cool/with it" young folks) will be blown away by a good cover of them.
                          Originally Posted by rhino55

hi.flyer is to banjo as gennation is to fat whores

Comment

We used to play "No Surprises" in a former band, it was really fun and sounded good. Beautiful ballad. Radiohead ain't exactly Top 40, but people that dig on them (and in my experience that is most "cool/with it" young folks) will be blown away by a good cover of them.

Which begs the inevitable question:

Do most/many 'cool/with it' young folks go out to see cover bands in the first place?

In my experience/market, that's a big "no, they absolutely do not". I wonder if that's very much different in other parts...?
                            For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

I wonder if that's very much different in other parts...?

Yes. It is.
                              geetarz: Nashville Tele w/Fralin and Lollars, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Music Man Luke w/piezo, Music Man Albert Lee HH
                              mapz: Mesa Mark V, Jet City JCA50H, Mesa Mini-Rectifier
                              efx and such: RC Booster, BB Preamp, Nova System

Comment

Working...
                              X