Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Felders book about the Eagles?

anyone read Don Felders book about the Eagles? I'm amazed with all the crap that went on. But also i wonder if Frey and Henley wern't such sticks in the mud and meticulous (and maybe a little greedy) would they have reached the sucess level they did. Maybe Felder should have just played the game like Schmit and Walsh.

No ... but I heard him on Stern a while back and it was fascinating.
    Oldscool: Web | Facebook

Comment

Great book. Lost sleep trying to finish it!

Comment

anyone read Don Felders book about the Eagles? I'm amazed with all the crap that went on. But also i wonder if Frey and Henley wern't such sticks in the mud and meticulous (and maybe a little greedy) would they have reached the sucess level they did. Maybe Felder should have just played the game like Schmit and Walsh.

As I understand it, Felder was hired as a full member of the band, which was not the case with Schmit and Walsh. The lawsuit, which Felder won under terms of secrecy, was not over royalties or rights, but wrongful termination. Maybe Tim and Joe should have played the game like Don did.
        The Taylor Harvey Band

The THB myspace page

Comment

No ... but I heard him on Stern a while back and it was fascinating.

That was great, also Joe walsh playing "Desperado" on Stern years ago pushed the Eagles reunion back ten years at least because Henley was so pissed.....he sounds like a total tool....better watch out he might sue me.

Comment

What Eagles songs did Felder sing lead on? I am drawing a blank, other than the "Heavy Metal" song from the movie, that wasn't Sammy Hagar.

Comment

What Eagles songs did Felder sing lead on? I am drawing a blank, other than the "Heavy Metal" song from the movie, that wasn't Sammy Hagar.

I don't believe Felder sang lead on any tune for the Eagles: at least that's what Henley says in the liner notes of one of the Greatest Hits collections I have laying around here....
              Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

• stethescoper
                stethescoper commented
                Editing a comment

Some Eagles fan you are.

Don Felder was the lead singer in the song "Visions" on the "One of These Nights" album in 1975.   The credit is right there on the back of the album.

No, Felder didnt sing any tunes. He did do back up harmonies i believe. But what a great lead player. Him and Walsh on the "Hotel C." ending, top rate. I think Frey's vocal is over rated and i don't believe he plays lead. But having said that, he's credited for the lead guitar on "I can't tell you Why", studio version. Which is pretty impressive i must say.

Comment

• stethescoper
                stethescoper commented
                Editing a comment

No.  He sang the lead vocal on the song "Visions" on "One of These Nights" in 1975.  The credit is right there on the back of the album.

I think Frey's vocal is over rated and i don't believe he plays lead. But having said that, he's credited for the lead guitar on "I can't tell you Why", studio version. Which is pretty impressive i must say.

I'm sure you meant Felder was credited for lead on "I can't tell you why".

There's a video on Youtube of the band recording that last album and you can see Felder waiting around until the end for that unusually long outro.

Felder didn't sing anything as far as I know, but he did write the music for Hotel California. In fact, the Eagles originally gave Felder first listing on the credits for HC because he was the major contributor. During the rehearsals for the MTV unplugged Hell Freezes Over, they decided to change Hotel up and Frey charged Felder with the responsibility of coming up with an equally impressive, yet unique intro on the spot!

When they unceremoniously kicked him off of the 3rd or 4th comeback tour, due to money, and released the latest Greatest Hits compilation, they gave Felder 3rd listing on the credits for Hotel California.

I love Joe Walsh and have the utmost respect for his business decisions, but after reading Felder's book and really studying his style, I can say that I have a new found respect for "Fingers Felder". IIRC, he wrote both guitar parts for Hotel California.

BTW, Felder is the only one you see smiling in all of the old/new footage of the band. He strikes me as the only one who was relaxed and really enjoying the moment every time. How can you piss on a guy that seems that happy to be a part of it when he's contributing and pulling his weight?
              "Southern Rock is in the ear of the beer holder"

www.willandlinda.com

www.myspace.com/willnlinda

Comment

Well, it says in black and white on my Long Run CD as it did on the record i had many years ago that Frey plays guitar solo on "I can't tell you why". I wasn't in the the studio to confirm and I believe Felder would have disputed it in his book if he was the actual player. But maybe he did play it but all the evidence points to Frey. Interesting dispute because Felder does an excellent job with the solo on Hell Freezes Over.

Comment

I love Joe Walsh and have the utmost respect for his business decisions, but after reading Felder's book and really studying his style, I can say that I have a new found respect for "Fingers Felder". IIRC, he wrote both guitar parts for Hotel California.

Walsh said as much in a Guitar magazine interview, in the early 90s.
                  He had nothing but mucho praise for Felder.
                  Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

I remember that Felder sang lead on "Visions" from the One of These Nights album.
                    AFAIK, that was his only lead vocal with The Eagles.
                    Music -

Comment

One these nights still had Bernie Leadon on it though.
                      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/933549/

Comment

One these nights still had Bernie Leadon on it though.

Joe Walsh took Leadon's place, not Don Felder.
                          Music -

Comment

Working...
                          X