Don Felders book about the Eagles?

Gizzyboo

• Members
There's a lesson here for non-singing guitar players:

You are utterly replaceable, so shut the hell up!
:thu:

Seriously though, if you don't sing, don't expect to call the shots and don't be surprised when you are sent packing for someone who can do both.

Which I think anyone should be able to do.

I share the lead vocal in my band. Personally if i didn't sing or couldn't sing i would never have had any interest in picking up an instrument. Actually i get bored when i'm not singing but it's nice to rest the vocal chords though. Felder mentioned in his book that he would've like to lower the ticket price and have the Eagles do back to back shows in the same city. That's easy when you don't sing, but back to back nights on songs that are high to sing is pushing the vocals.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Tim Schmidt probably doesn't care, since he does fine as a solo artist and session guy.

He's so laid-back and good-natured, he's even buddies with Randy Meisner...which also says something about Randy, IMO.

You wanna talk about somebody who should hold a grudge against Frey and Henley? After Meisner quit the Eagles, he's pretty much been
persona non grata.

Frey and Henley's faces when they were inducted into the R&RHOF made it clear they were barely tolerating Randy's presence.

Randy wrote and sang what is probably their biggest hit...take it to the limit...well its up there :)

• Members
Randy wrote and sang what is probably their biggest hit...take it to the limit...well its up there
:)

Uh, no. They had at least five songs that charted higher and have had more lasting power (more, probably).

But it is sort of an iconic Eagles song, and most people don't know it's Randy singing...so that makes it cooler, to me.
Brian V.

• Members

henley might be a raging dick, but in my opinion he is the true talent in that band. he had the voice and the lyrics.

his solo albums in the 80s prove that he would probably have been succesful without the other guys. the same can't be said for anyone else in that band (besides joe walsh)

without the lyrics and vocal melodies, 'hotel california' would have been a forgettable b-side with great guitar work, not an international classic.

• Members

without the lyrics and vocal melodies, 'hotel california' would have been a forgettable b-side with great guitar work, not an international classic.

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, the vocal melodies were actually written by Don Felder - Henley and Frey wrote most of the words for it and tweaked the melody a bit to fit. And they came up with the idea of the theme of the song together.

So don't take away too much credit from Felder. He gave Henley a {censored}load to work with.

And to completely ignore Frey's contribution to the song isn't exactly fair, either.

Brian V.

• Members

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, the vocal melodies were actually written by Don Felder - Henley and Frey wrote most of the words for it and tweaked the melody a bit to fit. And they came up with the idea of the theme of the song together.

So don't take away too much credit from Felder. He gave Henley a {censored}load to work with.

And to completely ignore Frey's contribution to the song isn't exactly fair, either.

Brian V.

Joe Walsh said that "Hotel California"s music was 100% Felder.

He wrote all the guitar parts, and came up with the vocal melody on the chorus. Walsh said he helped a little bit with the arrangement, but not enough to take a credit.

The lyrics were being brainstormed by Frey, Henley and J.D. Souther, as the music was being written. For whatever reason, Souther's lyrics were discarded.

• Members

I don't know anything about the Eagles/Don Felder verbal dispute, but seeing Don Felder in concert this year convinced me absolutely that this guy is all that. His band was absolutely superb, and his concert was end to end solid, killer songs. I was a local roadie working on the show, but I would have happily paid admission.

Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) is one of my favorite songs, and seeing him do it live absolutely tore the roof off. Those Shoes also sounded unbelievable. If you get a chance to see Don Felder live, You won't regret going. I swear.

• Members

read the book. regardless of money, the kind of {censored} that goes on in some bands has got to eat you up. you'd wonder why seemingly successful money making bands implode, or why a member leaves...because even all that money isn't worth the pain of going through stuff or playing music you're no longer happy with.

same with andy summers book. have no idea how he put up with being treated like he was for the life of the band

• Members

If Don Henley was an asshole, well, TFB. He wrote the hits, he sang the songs, etc., etc., etc. The Eagles were an incredibly successful band (last I looked, Greatest Hits was still the greatest selling album of all time!!), and Henley probably more than anyone else in the band was responsible for it.

If I were in the Eagles (stop laughing!!), I think the fame, fortune, and babes would quite adequately make up for getting my feelings hurt because people weren't worshiping me too.

The same with Andy Summers. From what I read, he thought he was the hot shot musician and should have been the recognized hero. TFB. He should be grateful he got where he did. What kind of solo career did he have? (sound of one hand clapping smiley face here).

Look at Henley and Sting. Both of them had wildly successful solo careers. NOBODY else in the Eagles or the Police came even close. And that's where the proof is. You think you're the reason why your band is famous? Break away and show us your stuff.

Henley and Sting walk the walk. I'll happily respect the others, and take great pleasure from their music (especially Joe Walsh), but those two are the ones who made it happen.

Everybody else, quit your bitchin!

• Members

Good book, good insights...personaly, after about 5 of these bios, I am a little tired of hearing about all the personality stuff...but I think if someone is serious about making it the music biz, this is required reading...

I particularly was interested in the insights into the creative process, recording, nuts and bolts...good stuff...

A guy could do worse then having Don Felder tell you how one of the most successfull bands ever cranked out hit after hit.

Anyone seen the new Michael Jackson movie 'This is it' ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBpjRDqZuhw

• Members

I really enjoyed the book.

I'm neither a big Eagles fan, nor an Eagles hater.

Frankly, I consider them to be a 'greatest hits' band - That is, a band where if you have the Greatest hits CD and nothing else, you're not really missing anything.

They were a decent easy listening band (think Bread, or America) until they added Felder and Walsh, and then for two albums they became a 'classic rock' band.

That being said, Henley and Frey have always seemed to be world class douchebags with a grotesquely inflated sense of their own importance.

Ditto...

Good reading for a rock star bio.

Just confirms what we already know. Dysfunction reigns supreme! People succeed in spite of themselves! Talent and success have nothing to do with happiness...and on and on. I feel better about myself now.

• Members

I recently picked this book up and can't put it down; I am amazed at all of the cross pollination that was going on back then. I had no idea these guys ran in the same circles as Tom Petty, Grahm Nash, Stephen Stills, Jackson Browne to name a few. Pettys band jumping off the stage to kick the crap out of that chicks drunk boyfriend was hysterical.

Just got to the part where he meets the Eagles for the first time; the line about Henley being aloof and Don writing it off as "pre show nervousness" is classic. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's one of those books that I'll browse through again for sure. Just listening to the Eagles Millenium concert on CD and I was thinking about Don's case of the influenza on the "Please Come For XMAS" solo. Still nailed it. Or was it "fixed up" back in the shop. LOL.

• Members
I recently picked this book up and can't put it down; I am amazed at all of the cross pollination that was going on back then. I had no idea these guys ran in the same circles as Tom Petty, Grahm Nash, Stephen Stills, Jackson Browne to name a few. Pettys band jumping off the stage to kick the crap out of that chicks drunk boyfriend was hysterical.

Just got to the part where he meets the Eagles for the first time; the line about Henley being aloof and Don writing it off as "pre show nervousness" is classic.
:D

Not to mention Linda Ronstadt...The Eagles STARTED as her tour band...
Frey, henley, Meisner, and Leidon...
Joe Walsh and Don Felder were the best things to happen to the Frey/Henley circus...TB Schmidt was a cool cat too :)

• Members
Not to mention Linda Ronstadt...The Eagles STARTED as her tour band...

Frey, henley, Meisner, and Leidon...

Joe Walsh and Don Felder were the best things to happen to the Frey/Henley circus..
.TB Schmidt was a cool cat too
:)

I happen to agree with you all the way, but there were a lot of people back then who didn't. The Eagles lost a lot of fans for going "too rock".
They probably gained ten fans for every fan they lost though.:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Felder was the sensitive 'Eagle'. Could have even been 'Sam The Eagle'.

Just finished the book. Excellent read. I have incredible respect for Felder's enthusiasm being a musician. Certainly next to Bernie, the most honest guy in that band... possibly to fault. I empathize with his situation and what he went through, but I can't help but think his perception of his 'role' in the band and how he affected the other personalities in the group is a bit clouded. I have no doubts that Henley and Frey are probably the two biggest douchebags in rock history, that Walsh is a talented addict and Tim Schmidt, smart enough to collect a mega paycheck.... but Felder comes across as a bit of a whiner. There were times in the book I kept envisioning Maury in 'Goodfellas' "Jimmy ... I need my money, where's my cut". He eludes several times he had 'control' issues at home. Even his wife found him a little miserable to be around when he wasn't on tour. He seems to be a pretty 'deep' if sometimes depressed personality to be around. I few times I found myself saying 'lighten up man'. He smiled alot onstage, and show great talent and affinity for guitar playing but really lacked any capacity to understand the 'business'. I'm not saying he didn't have sufficent reasons to question or challenging things, but it was a battle he couldn't possibly win. For someone lacking any business sense whatsoever I find it amazing he didn't {censored} things up sooner.

Still, whatever he earned in the 'settlement' (he seemed pretty happy about it) he deserved every last cent of it. He should have sued Irv Asnoff (manager) for misrepresentation.

Prior to this book Felder was a mystery to me. I had no real idea what his contributions in the group were. Probably the biggest eye opener for me was how (especially in later years) creatively sterile this group had become. The entire songwriting process a controlled dictatorship... and how much help they had writing classic and present tunes.

• Members

I think it's a little harsh to criticise Henley and Frye based on Felder's account, kinda one sided....having been in a band for five minutes, it's kinda hard to believe they actualy lasted as long as they did...I think in many bands that start out democratic, it becomes clear who the creative forces are, the ones with talent ect...and as such, they end up running things, setting the direction.

Anyway you cut it, the Eagles were a solid band, one of the best, and the most creative...as far as talent goes, you really can't get better, always impressed with their harmonies/vocals.

• 3 years later...

Archived