Looking for some recent hits to play. . the bigger the better.

Tullsterx

• Members
Every time I compare a recent "hit" anything classic that was a hit it doesn't hold up and I mean by a longshot. Sad.

Because the "classics" are the ones that lasted. You forgot the gazillion other songs from the era that didn't. In 20 years this era will have its classics as well

• Members

I think it's no surprise that the two biggest hits of the year in pop and on the cover band scene(in terms of audience response and longevity) were songs that were played by bands (not artists) recalled a different time and era in music. Uptown Funk and Shut Up and Dance both scream 80's pop. Pitbull who?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Shut up and dance, worked surprisingly well for us. Despite my utter loathing of that song. I hate it's face and it makes me question whether or not the 18 year old version of myself would kick my ass up and down the street for even agreeing to learn it. But the song works.

• Members
On my list as well. I just have to wonder how soon they fall off these recent hits?

A year or two max, probably. Were you hoping for more? Such has it always been with Top 40/current hits.

People seem to forget (or maybe haven't been around long enough to understand?) that almost all of these great "classics" that we have been playing for years weren't always so. At one point they were all current hits that people fell off. Back when I was playing Top 40/current rock in the 80s? No WAY we would have played "Jenny Jenny" or "Jessie's Girl" in 1985 (although we did a few years before). They would have emptied the room. We KILLED with Van Halen's "Jump" and "Panama" in 1984, but by 1986 those songs were off the set list and we were doing "Why Can't This Be Love" and "Dreams" instead. Was any band playing "Livin' on a Prayer" or "Pour Some Sugar on Me" in 1993? I don't think too many were.

So yeah...Top 40 is a short-term deal. Once in a while you get a song that stays around a really long time, but those are few and far between and impossible to predict. And who knows which ones of today's current hits will return to be the "classics" 20-30 years from now? can't predict that either. If you had asked me in 1981, I'd have picked probably 100 other songs before "Jenny" or "Jessie's". But there you go.

But just because Top 40 is a short-term deal doesn't mean we don't need some of those songs in our setlist. And just sticking ONLY to the classics? At some point, isn't that just being too lazy to learn new stuff?

Archived