What is the use of an SPL meter?

• Members

I believe they are often used to measure how loud things are at different points and distances (in the audience) and at the mix position. They are also used to prove that a Bose PAS does not really cover a 1000 seat venue with equally loud SPL levels regardless of listening position. :D Al

• Members

would 126db be enough?

Yes, more than enough. You would need more to test maximum output of speakers at 1-meter. 110db (full range) is too loud for me. 126 (full range) would have my earplugs in and my hands over my ears. (A or C weighted).

Now 126db from a sub is the kind of chest thumpin' stuff I love, but full range would be insane loud.

• Members

would 126db be enough?

For seriously damaging everybody's ears, yes, a few hours of that would be sufficient. Depending on the type of music and setting, anywhere from 100 - 110 db is what most would consider loud. Rock concerts can reach 120 db and above, which is why they can be so damaging, and why many wear earplugs at these levels... Al

• Members

It should be noted that when comparing speakers, the max SPL spec is calaculated at 1 metre from the enclosure. The SPL the audience gets will be much lower, as sound dissapates -3 or 6db everytime you double your distance from the source. So your 126db max SPL speaker is more likely down to 110 DB or less on the dancefloor, again depending on the distance... Al

• Members

SPL measuring scale is logerithmic, meaning that a doubling of the input does not yield a (linear) doubling of output. It's a way to relate linear to exponential functions.

Do not test any speakers at that kind of level unless you REALLY know what you are doing and can control duty cycle. It's a sure way to destroy a set of speakers.

• Members

It should be noted that when comparing speakers, the max SPL spec is calaculated at 1 metre from the enclosure. The SPL the audience gets will be much lower, as sound dissapates -3 or 6db everytime you double your distance from the source. So your 126db max SPL speaker is more likely down to 110 DB or less on the dancefloor, again depending on the distance... Al

126dB @ 1m (3')

120dB @ 2m (6')

114dB @ 4m (12')

108dB @ 8m (24')

• Members

That's what a frequency analyzer is used for.

Good golly miss molly. It is a frequency analyzer. I was just guessing that that's what was used since I have never actually needed to (or have the knowledge to) use one. Some home stereo subwoofers and even complete stereo systems have a similar tool built-in that analyzes the surroundings (the room acoustics as well), does some sound tests and adjust everything for best possible sound. They usually have a built in microphone. Al

• Members

That's what a frequency analyzer is used for.

More precisly a Real Time analyzer or AKA Audio Spectrum analyzer (there are also radio Freq spectrum analyzers which are used to help "tune" out hamonics from a transmitted signal (the FCC has rigid guidlines governing high powered transmitters to keep the harmonics generated from walking on other alotted frequencies)).

There are also better units like TEF (time-energy frequency) analyzers which use a combination of pink (weighted) noise and audio sweep tones which will also help locate standing waves and "nodes". Their implimentation is much more involved and the analysis of the data gathered by their use involves a much greater understanding of the science of sound, acoustics and wave physics (at least sometimes much greater than my own:D ).

• Members

Actually 95dB is a pretty good level for rock - you can push the bottom a bit and get it to thump, but you aren't blowing people's ears out. The difficulty is getting the drummer and the guitar(s) to play at a reasonable level.

A dB meter is very handy to have, because most people really can't tell how loud something is. A common rookie mistake in live sound is to turn stuff up too much, leading to annoyed patrons and excessive feedback.

By the way, here are the OSHA guidlines for sound exposure:

TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)

|

Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response

____________________________|_________________________________

|

8...........................| 90

6...........................| 92

4...........................| 95

3...........................| 97

2...........................| 100

1 1/2 ......................| 102

1...........................| 105

1/2 ........................| 110

1/4 or less................| 115

• Members

We once played a bar with a 100db limit.

They had an SPL meter above the bar.

It was the first time the soundguy had been at that venue and he just laughed when the owner said he had to keep it under 100db.

I think he was looking at the 9 piece drum kit, two marshall full stacks and a bass rig that stacked was over 8ft tall.

Although we were quieter than normal it was still hitting 110 at times on the meter.

We're much better behaved now....

• Members

We once played a bar with a 100db limit

I played at a bar outside in a kind of ampetheater setting. The dB limit for this outside venue was 100dB. There was a train track on one edge of the property. When the train went past, it put out 109dB for just the engine, not even counting the horn. I was real upset that the train could be louder than the band, so I finally cranked it to get over the train. I got in trouble for my effort. :blah:

• Members

in the studio. we use pink noise to simulate open air.. and then we can monitor it with a spectrum anaylzer. i run pink noise thru reverbs to make then moe sonic, and natural...in the studio enviroment. sumtimes it has a complety reverse effect though.. so ya i agree with Al. u need a spectrumanaylzer to anaylze rooms as well i think.

• Members

Last year I was hired to mix a band in a small nighclub, it was a pretty un organized event, i had no information regard the band or genre. but the company i worked for gave me the dirty work. The SPL was so much that by the end of the night...after i had completly shut the mixer and amps off!!! since the singer decided to look directly into the FOH and point the microphone 6 inches from thedriver...seriously..through the duration of the nigt.. well due to this ridiculous event, I was disoriented, lost my balance, and ended up being sick.. Apperanty and judging by the 6 fullstack triple rectifiers.and bass rig, that the manager of this bar booked a touring band who decided to use all ther gear in this night club only a few hundred sq feet. Im the young guy though so. i always got the ugly stuff.. no matter what i did u cant turn down enough or turn up and EQ enuff to mix a band thats just too beyon too loud, s I just shut everything off. and the bar manager ended up shuting them down.

Archived