Just did 10 shows in Nevada/California. Surprising PA discoveries.

• Members

Nearly every venue we hit had a house PA and.............all but 2 were Behringer rigs!! Some sounded surprisingly good, some sounded like dog{censored}. There was a venue in Reno that had 4 of the Behr active 15" boxes flown and 4 single 18" subs and the PA sounded excellent!!! I was really really surprised at how good it sounded. I made it a point to talk to the house guy about how his experience has been and it was 50/50 , some swore by the Behr equipment and others said "It'll work until we get the money to get real equipment". I noticed that a lot of place are going with powered speakers now and it seems to be pretty headache free.

• Members
Nearly every venue we hit had a house PA and.............all but 2 were Behringer rigs!! Some sounded surprisingly good, some sounded like dog{censored}. There was a venue in Reno that had 4 of the Behr active 15" boxes flown and 4 single 18" subs and the PA sounded excellent!!! I was really really surprised at how good it sounded. I made it a point to talk to the house guy about how his experience has been and it was 50/50 , some swore by the Behr equipment and others said "It'll work until we get the money to get real equipment". I noticed that a lot of place are going with powered speakers now and it seems to be pretty headache free.

And they all lived happily ever after.

• Members
How were the two non-behringer rigs? Were they good, bad, or indifferent?

I suspect that if I came across a new "B" rig, I would probably use it, but if it gets to be a couple of years old, I might have to pass..

My UB2442 mixer died four times within the first year. First one was dead out of the box.

• Members

Interesting...

Why didn't you just return the defective mixer the first time and be done with it?

Being suckered four times is amazing!

I returned the first one for a replacement. That happens occasionally with new stuff. Could have even taken a hard tumble for all I knew. The second one was ok for about 4 months. By then I couldn't just get my money back. I had to have warranty/repair dept handle it. Same with the next two times. Tghey finally decided to not repair it and they sent me a totally new mixer(about two months and and several reminder phone calls) which I immediately put on Ebay. How would you have handled it? Once you have it for so long, your only options are to throw it in the basement or sell if for nothing as a nonworking piece, or have it repaired under warranty.

• Members

I returned the first one for a replacement. That happens occasionally with new stuff. Could have even taken a hard tumble for all I knew. The second one was ok for about 4 months. By then I couldn't just get my money back. I had to have warranty/repair dept handle it. Same with the next two times. Tghey finally decided to not repair it and they sent me a totally new mixer(about two months and and several reminder phone calls) which I immediately put on Ebay. How would you have handled it? Once you have it for so long, your only options are to throw it in the basement or sell if for nothing as a nonworking piece, or have it repaired under warranty.

Perhaps you had a lemon. But when you mentioned it died a horrible death the same way each time, it made me wonder how it was being used.

I have never had a piece of equipment die (unusable) on me that many number of times.

I have had one power amp from radio shack that died, but that was because I overdrove it pass it's capacity. My fault entirely. I never made the same mistake again.

• Members

Perhaps you had a lemon. But when you mentioned it died a horrible death the same way each time, it made me wonder how it was being used.

I have never had a piece of equipment die (unusable) on me that many number of times.

I have had one power amp from radio shack that died, but that was because I overdrove it pass it's capacity. My fault entirely. I never made the same mistake again.

I didn't say the same horrible way. Why did you insinuate that? Each time was something else. First , two channels quit, then the power supply died, then it started throwing horrible noise into the aux sends.

• Members

None of the house rigs were "high end" per say. No EV, no nice JBL etc. There were lots of Behr and lots of JRX stuff. Honestly, I thought the Behr rigs sounded much better than the JRX rig we played on. It definately could have been user error as well though. There was a venue that was 100% powered Mackie that sounded excellent.

One of the venues had the Behr MX9000 console, which I have always looked at in the catalogs and wondered about, and it was a very nice board. I volunteered to tweek knobs for one of the supporting bands just to see how it felt and other than the fact that everything on the board is tiny, the meter bridge was a really cool feature and it seemed like it had a ton of headroom.

After playing 100+ shows this year, I have come to the conclusion that for the most part, it doesnt matter what the boxes say on them, its who is behind the board. We play a venue regularly that has 4-MTL-x subs and 4-T252 tops, and the sound is absolute dog{censored}, but some guys can make a little tiny rig sound excellent. We got to use a Yorkville TX rig a while back and it was unbelievable. 8-TX9s and 8-TX8s with all QSC Powerlight amps powering it. KILLER RIG!!!!

• Members

So often it is only the talent of the person operating and setting up a PA that gives it a half a chance. (Whoever set up the room acoustics also counts.)

I also think that emphasis on lots of volume is a mistake. Get your intensity some other way. (Music should be intense, not loud.)

• Members
We were a Behringer dealer for a short while and sold this board as well. Sold 3 and all of them came back defective. Not good odds from a dealer perspective.

I did have an MX2004 previously and it was problem-free for the couple years I had it. The 2442 had the right features for what I needed at the time in a compact rackmount mixer. Even being a Behringer, I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Good thing I always carried a backup mixer with me.

• Members

Quite the coincidence that you two always seem to show up together. Very nice.

I guess I missed something. I have had my fair share of problems with Behr gear. I will still be the first one to say that I think their power amps are dog{censored}, but lately , a lot of Behringers new products have REALLY been impressing me.

• Members

As cheap as most bar/club owners are why would this surprise you?

Archived